• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB got too high

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-13, 17:25

MPs, both sides NV. Opps are decent club players. ATB.

Thanks,

ahydra

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-13, 18:28

south, meet pass card. pass card, meet south.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-13, 18:43

South of course. I am surprised N did not seek grand. Try to place 10 hcp to south w/o values.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-13, 19:25

Ahydra asks MPs, both sides NV. Opps are decent club players. ATB.
IMO South overbid a bit. Another interesting question is whether, when committed to a slam, there's a route to the playable 6 ?

#5 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2014-November-13, 20:01

Both. South for overbidding on the first double and North for not trying 6H. This is the sort of hand where hearts can be much better -- give south KJTx KJxx xx Jxx where he more or less has his bid for example.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-November-13, 22:33

View Postwank, on 2014-November-13, 18:28, said:

south, meet pass card. pass card, meet south.

Yep

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-13, 23:15

Contrary to Mr. Hog's position (another thread), ATB is all about resulting. Yes, South overbid, but he did show 4-4 in the Majors. So:

If West has HX of hearts, then North is to Blame for not immediately realizing Hearts, not Spades should be trump..South's overbid would have gotten the "Credit" if North had chosen 6 Hearts -- a given action.

If the hearts could not be picked up for one loser, then South's overbidding is to blame for being in Slam.. and North is to blame for being in the wrong strain down two instead of one.

Here, North can never get the "credit", because he chose the Spade strain, but he could become blameless if the Club queen drops and both strains make the same number of tricks.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-14, 11:08

East.

Both N/S streched a bit, but I find their bidding reasonable in context.

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-November-14, 12:13

View Postawm, on 2014-November-13, 20:01, said:

Both. South for overbidding on the first double and North for not trying 6H. This is the sort of hand where hearts can be much better -- give south KJTx KJxx xx Jxx where he more or less has his bid for example.

Did you misread the auction perhaps?

For me, bidding 5 over 5 shows a real preference - with 4-4 I would almost always bid 5 (or 6), but hardly ever 5. Takeout double can have many shapes and we have little space - the goal of this auction should be to find our fit, not to pick the 4-4 fit with the T over the 4-4 fit without the T.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-14, 13:51

South already showed 4-4. 5D certainly doesn't ask South whether he has 4-4. At that point it seems South was just showing his stronger one, but he shouldn't have. His choices should have been to show weakness with 5H, or full strength for his previous bidding via something other than 5H.

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-November-14, 14:50

Oh, I see. No, for me double does not show 4=4 in the majors. It would be routine with 4=3=2=4 and many other shapes.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-14, 15:18

View Postcherdano, on 2014-November-14, 14:50, said:

Oh, I see. No, for me double does not show 4=4 in the majors. It would be routine with 4=3=2=4 and many other shapes.

That's true of course. Thinking that double showed 4-4 majors is naive imo. I guess with 4324 hands they simply bid 4 and hope that they hit partner's 4 card M. I am also surprised with Adam's reply for the same reason.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-14, 15:26

Kenberg's quote in my tagline seems to fit.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-14, 15:31

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-November-14, 15:26, said:

Kenberg's quote in my tagline seems to fit.

Playing double 4-4 majors and not be able to double with other **** loads of hands, is awful imho. And by saying "awful" I am really giving you a break because I love ya Aguaman.Posted Image

#15 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 16:34

View PostMrAce, on 2014-November-14, 15:18, said:

That's true of course. Thinking that double showed 4-4 majors is naive imo. I guess with 4324 hands they simply bid 4 and hope that they hit partner's 4 card M. I am also surprised with Adam's reply for the same reason.

If we're willing to offer 5C as a place to play, can't we double, pull 4H to 4S, and then leave the decision up to partner?
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-November-14, 16:57

View Postkuhchung, on 2014-November-14, 16:34, said:

If we're willing to offer 5C as a place to play, can't we double, pull 4H to 4S, and then leave the decision up to partner?

This is exactly what I am saying, we can be 4-4 in blacks, 4-4 in majors, 4-4 in hearts+clubs. Thus bidding hearts first as Arend(cherdano) said is critical and that playing double with only 4-4 majors is disabling us from a lot of other things we can do efficiently. I am assuming you are talking about the partner of first doubler.

#17 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 17:36

Oh sorry, I misunderstood the post I quoted. You were talking about a world where contre guarantees 4-4 majors.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users