• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple Q

#21 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-November-14, 13:59

2/1 or S/A I open only in 3rd seat. This isn't much better than a normal 11 count with a 5CM.

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-14, 15:24

1, all day, any day, everyday, any scoring - seat - vulnerability. Just like I wrote in another topic, to me, definition of a passed hand is very important. I am not expecting to find games or slams that others can not by opening this, although occasionally that is also another benefit. Downside of reaching to bad games or slams is reduced when pd is aware that this is what I can hold for my opening. This does not mean opening this hand is risk free of course. I benefit from this when me or my pd did not open when had a chance to.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   lrussell 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-14, 18:03

3rd seat, none other.
Lorne Russell

#24 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2014-November-15, 18:22

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-November-13, 05:55, said:

Curious about this one...

AQ976
KJ2
J84

You're playing straight down the middle SAYC or 2/1. Under which conditions would you open this hand 1?

(Didn't poll it because there are way too many options lol.)

every seat, all the time

#25 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-November-15, 20:46

View Postfourdad, on 2014-November-15, 18:22, said:

every seat, all the time

Assuming your partner is on the same page and would also open a balanced 11 in 2nd seat... what then do you gain by opening this hand in 4th?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-16, 08:10

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-November-15, 20:46, said:

Assuming your partner is on the same page and would also open a balanced 11 in 2nd seat... what then do you gain by opening this hand in 4th?

I dunno him, but I will play as much hands I can for my money worth. It is about 33 cents per board in ACBL, if you are a member. I ain't letting any board passed out.Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#27 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-16, 08:57

For the record, this does not have a "follow-up". Was just curious as to people's tendencies.

I personally would pass/bid depending on tactical factors. In 3rd seat I think it's a textbook light opener, though.

#28 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-November-16, 10:42

View PostMrAce, on 2014-November-16, 08:10, said:

I dunno him, but I will play as much hands I can for my money worth. It is about 33 cents per board in ACBL, if you are a member. I ain't letting any board passed out.Posted Image

So, as with most things ACBL, there is no bridge reason. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users