• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Call

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-November-12, 16:10

4s was bid after a slight tank, but for all you know that could just be a slow connection.

IMPS on bbo, pd is me opps are reasonable players somewhere between int-adv i'd say

your call?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-12, 16:29

axe it

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-November-12, 16:36

I double as I have reasonable expectations of a two trick set. I have less reasonable expectation of making 5 althought that certainly could be the winning bid.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-12, 16:57

I don't know what kind of hand partner has for 4, but it seems to me that it is far from clear that we have 11 winners. Give him 1=2=8=2, and that is surely not unreasonable, and they cash a spade and 2 hearts, and the defence won't be challenging.

Meanwhile, we are very strong favourites to beat this. Yes, one can create layouts where they are cold, but so what?

The odds are they are going 500, maybe 800.

The point is that your partner put your rho under considerable pressure and your hand strongly suggests that rho made a losing call..a call that may have been clear or may have been borderline. When partner creates pressure and our hand says the opps went wrong, it behooves us to punish them, and not go chasing our own contract, unless our own contract is heavily favoured.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-12, 17:20

I'd pass and take the plus.
I expect to beat 4s by probably 1, maybe 2, but 5h is a worrying possibility. They may find it if we double but if we pass - no chance.

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 17:22

Gee, I wonder what the Law of Total Tricks would recommend...

Whack it...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 17:26

View Postwanoff, on 2014-November-12, 17:20, said:

I'd pass and take the plus.
I expect to beat 4s by probably 1, maybe 2, but 5h is a worrying possibility. They may find it if we double but if we pass - no chance.

I thought about that for a second. But LHO is a passed hand and we can assume that he doesn't pull to 5. Do we really think that RHO will suddenly bid hearts at the 5 level... and make it?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-12, 17:52

Double. I see no other call.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 18:58

Can't see the interest in this one tbh. Maybe double wouldn't have worked on the actual hand but that proves nothing - it's totally auto.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#10 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 20:41

View Postbroze, on 2014-November-12, 18:58, said:

Can't see the interest in this one tbh. Maybe double wouldn't have worked on the actual hand but that proves nothing - it's totally auto.

No, if double doesn't work it is 80% blame to north
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#11 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 20:43

Yeah, they might make, but if you never chalk up -790, you are not swinging the axe nearly often enough. It is also possible to be +1100 (against maniacs who refuse to be shut out, I've picked up +1400 on hands like this) At matchpoints, anything more than your iffy game is a pretty sure top (and if you don't have game +200 is probably enough--and don't you love those big numbers at imps? So they make one time in ten: you get rich the other nine times.

#12 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-13, 04:11

Thanks all my partner passed I thought it was overly negative but just wanted to check. as It happens we got quite a good score for 4s-2 with virtually everyone else in 5d-1 but 4sX-2 would've been even better :D

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#13 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-13, 04:26

your partner was just asleep Posted Image

#14 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-15, 04:36

btw, probably the more interesting bit was the 4S call I put it on BW and virtually 50:50 between pass and 4s

KJ8432
AT852

#15 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-November-15, 07:18

A knuckalavey might bid 4s. A Bridge player would not.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-15, 07:39

To me it looks really weird to bid 4S opposite a passed partner and when we could easily belong in 4 but at least 2 very good players have bid 4S so what do I know?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#17 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-15, 08:12

How d'you plan to find 4? Double?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#18 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-15, 10:08

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-15, 07:18, said:

A knuckalavey might bid 4s. A Bridge player would not.

If u saw who the voters were for 4s I think you'd revise your opinion.

Still what do I know being a ”'club player at best" that should stay out of "higher level discussions"

All the best mr hog

Eagles

#19 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-15, 17:05

View Postbroze, on 2014-November-15, 07:39, said:

To me it looks really weird to bid 4S opposite a passed partner and when we could easily belong in 4 but at least 2 very good players have bid 4S so what do I know?

This is what I was thinking, like, I don't see how it's going to make, but yeah, must be something too it. I like double more but with no defence it's obviously lunatic.

#20 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-November-16, 01:03

Of those who voted for 4S, only 2 are very good players however none are top rank. One of these surprises me, the other doesn't at all as he is a very reckless bidder. Every good player can have an off day.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users