• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Call

#21 User is offline   nuckelavee 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-24, 18:00

View Posteagles123, on 2014-November-15, 04:36, said:

the more interesting bit was the 4S call I put it on BW and virtually 50:50 between pass and 4s K J 8 4 3 2 A T 8 5 2 5 4

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-15, 07:18, said:

A knuckalavey might bid 4s. A Bridge player would not.

View Posteagles123, on 2014-November-15, 10:08, said:

If u saw who the voters were for 4s I think you'd revise your opinion.

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-16, 01:03, said:

Of those who voted for 4S, only 2 are very good players however none are top rank. One of these surprises me, the other doesn't at all as he is a very reckless bidder. Every good player can have an off day.
Be careful whom you call reckless -- or Groundhog Day may take on new significance :)

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-24, 20:24

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-16, 01:03, said:

Of those who voted for 4S, only 2 are very good players however none are top rank. One of these surprises me, the other doesn't at all as he is a very reckless bidder. Every good player can have an off day.

Where is this poll?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-24, 21:10

http://bridgewinners...g-problem-6242/

Joshua Donn voted for 4S, which makes Hog's comment totally lol IMHO.

#24 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-24, 22:12

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-November-24, 21:10, said:

http://bridgewinners...g-problem-6242/

Joshua Donn voted for 4S, which makes Hog's comment totally lol IMHO.

So you are saying Josh is a world class player in the category of Bocchi, Duboin, Meckwell etc etc? He is a very good player indeed, but hardly in the class of the others mentioned, so I suggest that your comment is the laughable one if that is what you are inferring.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#25 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-24, 22:45

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-24, 22:12, said:

So you are saying Josh is a world class player in the category of Bocchi, Duboin, Meckwell etc etc? He is a very good player indeed, but hardly in the class of the others mentioned, so I suggest that your comment is the laughable one if that is what you are inferring.

Let me direct you to your quote

A knuckalavey might bid 4s. A Bridge player would not.

That is a fairly bold statement that Joshua Donn does not know what he is doing at the bridge table. I mean, I'm fairly sure all would agree that Joshua Donn is a bridge player! A good one even!

#26 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-25, 02:28

View Postnuckelavee, on 2014-November-24, 18:00, said:

Be careful whom you call reckless -- or Groundhog Day may take new significance :)

I take little notice of people who cannot even spell their own name correctly. :D
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#27 User is offline   nuckelavee 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-25, 20:31

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-25, 02:28, said:

I take little notice of people who cannot even spell their own name correctly. :D
Then take notice of me :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=1JQpE7n6eUk

#28 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 02:03

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-24, 22:12, said:

You are the most laughable excuse of a poster that I have ever seen. In more than 10 years, you have not changed, you have become even more insufferable.

You say that no bridge player would bid 4S. When it is pointed out that jdonn (and a plurality of voters) voted that he would bid 4S, you say well he's not bocchi, duboin, or meckwell. I doubt you will even realize what a joke that proves you to be.

You see Ron, not only are you an intermediate bridge player who thinks he knows everything and it is all black or white, you always think you are right. I now understand you assume that bocchi/duboin/meckwell level players are the only people who can be classified as bridge players.

You seem to be inferring* that a player of the caliber of Meckstroth would not bid 4S. I am willing to bet between $1000 and $5000 USD that Meckstroth would bid 4S. Let's escrow our bets and ask him. I will let you ask him and word it however you want, and we can have a clause that if I have asked him already I owe you $50,000 (will escrow that also). You do not have to let him know that it is a bet against me.

Since you know everything about how top players bid, and obviously no player who is as good as meck would ever bid 4S (LOL @ players the level of jdonn, who in your own words are very good, and in my words are far better than you, but you can appeal to phantom authorities who have not even weighed in since you are so good you know they would all agree with you), this should be free money.

A rational human being would realize that jdonn is by far one of the 2 best players to have voted, he voted for 4S, and he is far better than you so if you do not understand why 4S has merit you are probably the one missing something not him. However, you are not a rational human being, you are the deluded hog who always has meckwell/bocchi/duboin on your side, knowing exactly what they would do. If you know exactly what such great players would do, why do you suck so badly? If you do not know what they would do, then maybe defer to players who are far better than yourself. Or, at the very least, when you state your opinion, don't say that no bridge player would do something different than you, then when it is pointed out a far superior player than yourself did something different say "oh guess I was wrong as usual in my dogmatic black and white approach to bridge" instead of saying WELL HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS MECKWELL!

PS. Ready for you to completely ignore the content of my post and blindly attack me and shift the goal posts while maintaining your 100 % correctness. Let's post the bet on www.escrow.com.

*infer meaning the way you said it, as opposed to a totally different word "imply" which is what you actually meant.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#29 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 08:15

Oh man, the hog is really outdoing himself here. In the course of this thread, not being "a bridge player" becomes equivalent "not being in the same class as Meckwell".
Since I have him on ignore - has he become THAT bad all the time, or is this a low even for him?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#30 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 08:20

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-November-26, 02:03, said:

A rational human being would realize that jdonn is by far one of the 2 best players to have voted,

I think I have to point out that Phantom wrote this before I voted ;) :P :D
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#31 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-November-26, 10:37

X. When you preempt (especially aggressively) sometimes you get creamed and sometimes you create opportunities.

You can't sit on your hands and pass. They probably have a better spot in 5!h but it's almost impossible to find it.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#32 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-26, 10:53

As for the problem faced by the overcaller, I didn't comment because in my view this is a problem that is impossible for most people, including me, to answer objectively once they know what LHO holds....a penalty double of the overcall.

IIRC, one has KJxxxx A10xxx x x.

Is there a player in the world who can claim that they have a happy decision to make?

I can accept that to some people their decision whatever it may be, will seem clear and they make that decision without worrying about the outcome, but for many of us, I suspect, we would hate to pass and would also fear the consequences of an overcall (I can't think anyone in their right mind would choose a double rather than pass or 4)

FWIW, I like to think I would bid 4 since a lot of experience, mostly as a passer, has taught me that on the whole, fortune favours the brave. Indeed, I am morally certain that in a poll of the top 100 players (don't ask me to define that group) the vast majority would bid, so I strongly recommend to the hog that he not take Justin up on the bet.

But there is no way I can be 100% sure of what I would do at the table because I now 'know' the result.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#33 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-26, 12:24

X and try to not drool all over the bidding box/cards other players have to use them later.
If the opps can find a decent spot to play at the 5 level so be it but the 4s bid might be
from a very strong hand and the opps have no where to run. If we can never take advantage
of the opps being in a poor contract (when it seems there is nowhere else to go) we are doomed
to a lifetime of mediocre results. I see far too many players x the opps in a low level contract
(when their hand is only good for that one strain) only to see the opps easily escape. That is
not the case here where finding a 5 level contact opposite a passed hand (even an unpassed hand)
should be very difficult at best.

#34 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-November-26, 13:25

I passed in the BW poll, but I thought it was fairly close and wouldn't criticize anyone for doing either.

The only thing that is LOL is the hyperbole in this thread.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users