BBO Discussion Forums: No firm agreement - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No firm agreement Cloned from Vampyr's topic

Poll: Suggested Law changes... (34 member(s) have cast votes)

When opponents ask about partner's call and you're unsure of its systemic meaning and it's not on your card then you must state your best guess?

1. YES (4 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. NO (25 votes [73.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.53%

3. OTHER (5 votes [14.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

When you're unsure of the meaning of your partner's call, opponents should have the power to ask him to explain its systemic meaning, in your absence?

1. YES (18 votes [52.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

2. NO (9 votes [26.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

3. OTHER (7 votes [20.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

"No agreement" should be deemed misinformation, for legal purposes?

1. YES (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. NO (17 votes [89.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 89.47%

3. OTHER (2 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-20, 12:06

View Postpran, on 2014-November-20, 10:24, said:

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-20, 10:02, said:

The editorial in the December 2014 Bridge World that arrived a couple of days ago seems somewhat related to this. It's in response to the suggestion that when members of a partnership disagree on what their agreement is (or whether they even have one), the intent of the player who took the action in question should be taken. BW then gives a half dozen reasons why this would be a poor policy.

And how many reasons why it would be a good policy? (or are they biased?)

Probably half a dozen less than the number of reasons they gave why they think this is a poor policy...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#82 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-21, 11:00

The tone of the article is that the arguments against it are overwhelming.

#83 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-21, 11:29

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-21, 11:00, said:

Well. then I submit one "overwhelming" argument for:

Law 21 B 1 b said:

The Director is to presume Mistaken Explanation rather than Mistaken Call in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

#84 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-21, 14:56

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-21, 11:00, said:

Barmar, in the poll, you voted that a player should have the right to ask the bidder to explain the systemic meaning of his own call, when his partner was unsure of their agreement. Please would you clarify for me:
  • Should players have that right, without needing to call the director? (or should they have to call the director first, as now?)
  • Should that right apply when he the bidder's partner claims "no agreement"? (Or only when he says he's forgotten?).
  • Did the BW editorial affect your opinion? (I'm looking forward to reading it :) )

#85 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-November-22, 20:04

View Postnige1, on 2014-November-21, 14:56, said:

Barmar, in the poll, you voted that a player should have the right to ask the bidder to explain the systemic meaning of his own call, when his partner was unsure of their agreement. Please would you clarify for me:
  • Should players have that right, without needing to call the director? (or should they have to call the director first, as now?)
  • Should that right apply when he the bidder's partner claims "no agreement"? (Or only when he says he's forgotten?).
  • Did BW editorial affected your opinion? (I'm looking forward to reading it :) )

I think I voted several days before the issue arrived, so it couldn't have influenced by vote. I also never said I agreed fully with the editorial, I just reported that it exists.

For those who don't get BW, here's a summary of the arguments they give against automatically taking the word of the bidder (I've mostly just quoted the first sentence of each paragraph in the editorial):
  • Allowing a partnership to announce an agreement "after the fact" negligently fails to demand responsibility for correctly informing one's opponents in advance.
  • It permits self-serving declarations to be accepted as fact.
  • It supersedes hard evidence (the disagreement) with, at best, one person's possibly-faulty memory.
  • In some MI cases, it increases the chance that the wrong side will suffer any actual injustice.
  • Accepting the actor's statement of an agreement that applies to his action can be wrong if if (a) the actor (but not his partner) is wrong; (b) both partners are wrong; or (c ) there was no agreement.
  • It is relatively ineffective to treat symptoms without attacking the underlying disease.

#86 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-23, 01:33

I haven't read the editorial yet, but my first reaction is that I wouldn't automatically take the word of the bidder, nor would I automatically reject his statement. Also, sometimes self-serving statements are fact, though it would be unlikely the TD will be sure of that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#87 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-23, 02:41

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-22, 20:04, said:

[...]
For those who don't get BW, here's a summary of the arguments they give against automatically taking the word of the bidder (I've mostly just quoted the first sentence of each paragraph in the editorial):
  • Allowing a partnership to announce an agreement "after the fact" negligently fails to demand responsibility for correctly informing one's opponents in advance.
  • It permits self-serving declarations to be accepted as fact.
  • It supersedes hard evidence (the disagreement) with, at best, one person's possibly-faulty memory.
  • In some MI cases, it increases the chance that the wrong side will suffer any actual injustice.
  • Accepting the actor's statement of an agreement that applies to his action can be wrong if if (a) the actor (but not his partner) is wrong; (b) both partners are wrong; or (c ) there was no agreement.
  • It is relatively ineffective to treat symptoms without attacking the underlying disease.

I feel confused.
Does the article question the words of the bidder or the words of the explainer (and which words)?

If the bidder claims that he called according to the partnership understandings (as I would expect him to claim except when he claims psyching), that seems to sustain the rule to assume misinformation rather than misbid absent evidence to the contrary.

Does BW favour taking the words of the explainer against the words of the bidder whenever there is a discrepancy? Incredible!

#88 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-November-23, 21:46

View Postpran, on 2014-November-23, 02:41, said:

I feel confused.
Does BW favour taking the words of the explainer against the words of the bidder whenever there is a discrepancy? Incredible!

The list of arguments is prefaced with: "Taking the word of one particular partner has many drawbacks, including:". So they don't favor automatically taking either player's word.

I'm not sure how they reconcile this opinion with the law that says that the ruling should be misexplanation rather than misbid absent evidence to the contrary. Maybe someone would like to write a letter to the editor asking them about this.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users