BBO Discussion Forums: Playing a different NT range from the room - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing a different NT range from the room IMPs and MP

Poll: Playing a different NT range from the room (34 member(s) have cast votes)

I consider it important to play the same NT range as the field at matchpoints (significant field)

1. Strongly Agree (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. Agree (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

3. Neutral / No opinion (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

4. Disagree (11 votes [32.35%])

Percentage of vote: 32.35%

5. Strongly Disagree (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

I consider it important to play the same NT range as the field at cross imps/butler imps or similar (significant field)

1. Strongly Agree (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

2. Agree (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

3. Neutral / No opinion (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. Disagree (13 votes [38.24%])

Percentage of vote: 38.24%

5. Strongly Disagree (11 votes [32.35%])

Percentage of vote: 32.35%

Do you play the same NT range as the field?

1. I play the same NT range as the field (14 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

2. I play a weak NT in a strong NT field (14 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

3. I play a weak NT in a intermediate NT field (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I play a strong NT in a weak NT field (2 votes [5.88%])

5. I play a strong NT in a intermediate NT field (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. I play a intermediate NT in a strong NT field (2 votes [5.88%])

7. I play a intermediate NT in a weak NT field (2 votes [5.88%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-12, 13:48

1) In the tournament fields I play in, I'm probably in the long run about a 53% player, so having some swings helps my win frequency.

2) If you're playing anti-field at MPs, it helps to have a sense of when you're anti-field and how to play in those situations. For example, playing a 12-14 1N, the most common anti-field situation is being in 1N rather than 2M. When you're in that situation, you basically have to be playing both contracts at once and comparing. If 2M is likely to make, then you should be taking some fairly unlikely chances to get the overtrick; a line that has a 1/4 chance of making an overtrick and 3/4 chance of going down 1 is worth going for. On the other hand, if 2M is likely to go down, a chance that has a 3/4 chance of making the overtrick and 1/4 chance of going down 1 is not worth it. Also, there is no point in taking lines for an overtrick that rely on card layouts that also produce an overtrick at 2M.

One of your advantages playing anti-field is that you've got lots of practice with the considerations that come from playing anti-field, and most of your opponents at the table don't. This often means you win nearly 100% of the boards where "well, now I've seen dummy" comes in your favor, but only lose 75% of the boards where "well, now I've seen dummy" goes against you, because you know to take unlikely chances for the overtrick but opponents don't know how to do the same on defense.

I've certainly seen pros who, when hired to play MPs, seem to make their living by playing in 3N when the field is in 4M and using their understanding of anti-field considerations. (With a weak client who doesn't understand NMF and 4SF, you're frequently in that situation anyway.)

#22 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-12, 13:52

i guess i am too simple

i play a system i believe in and then i try to take tricks

i never know what the field is doing
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#23 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2014-November-13, 09:07

Once with my school partner many years ago I scored 85% (yes 85% - you read that right) in a pairs evening against some seriously strong players. It was a freak admittedly, but we were the only pair playing Precision against everyone else who were playing either Acol (in the main) or Standard American. The hands dealt were perfect for Precision.

But the point I am making is this: it all depends on the cards dealt. Some days a weak NT will win whereas on others a strong NT will come out on top. Given that Fantunes, a system used by world champions, uses a weak NT, I think it goes without saying that a weak NT allows you to "pre-empt" the ops more often, shutting out one-level overcalls.

However, whether playing a weak NT allows you to find more 4-4 major suit fits is open to question, given that a 4-4 fit will yield approximately, on average, one and one-half tricks more than NTs? But, on the flip side, opening a 15-17 NT can also miss quite a few 4-4 major suit fits at part score level as partner is obliged to pass with 6 or 7 points.

Having watched numerous games played by JEC and Co. I have come to the conclusion that if you can't beat them by using the same system, then using a different one may yield results. Food for thought.

#24 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-November-13, 12:48

If you methods are different and you believe your methods are superior to usual methods why not go against the field?

If you don't think there superior why are you playing them?

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#25 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-13, 13:06

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-November-13, 12:48, said:

If you methods are different and you believe your methods are superior to usual methods why not go against the field?

If you don't think there superior why are you playing them?

We've reached a point in bidding system development where there's no such thing as a superior method. 2/1, Precision, Polish, Fantunes, etc. all can win world championships if the people using them use them well (and play well). So unless everyone but you is for some reason playing some primitive version of Standard American, you won't beat the field with a better system. You can only choose which of the various workable systems you prefer and go with that.

If you decide to add some randomness to your results (and hope for the variation to go in your favor) you can deliberately play anti-field methods. But as outlined above, if you do so, you also have to understand how to play the contracts you reach with respect to the rest of the room.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#26 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-November-13, 16:38

I was thinking more in comparison to Standard American or 2/1 and 15-17/14+-17 1N which makes up more than 90% of the field around here.

Which I think with a bit of work can come up with better methods.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#27 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2014-November-14, 10:22

I like to play variable NT.13/15 NV and 15/17 Vul, if so allowed.With my regular partner playing Precision I naturally play 13/15 in all p.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users