• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rub of the Green? DONT confusion

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-11, 06:10

IMPs; Lead K EW+400; Other room NS+620. 14 IMPs to EW in this room.

There was a bit of a mix-up in this hand from the Piccadilly Line Pivot Teams in which each member of the team plays 8 boards with three different partners. West intended his double to show one major, a convention he normally plays with South in the other room. East thought it was penalties, his normal method with North in the other room, so he did not alert. He had noted that his hand was a genuine Yarborough, and he was getting ready to bore the other three players yet again with the story about the Duke of Yarborough offering 1,000-1 against getting a Yarborough at whist when the auction took a decidedly sour turn. West led the king of spades, and 1NTxx drifted one off, much to East's relief. In the other room, again over a strong NT, West overcalled 2D, Multi-Landy, showing one major, and North bid 2NT, Lebensohl, and then 3S which showed four hearts and a spade stopper. South, quite naturally, bid the cold 4H, and NS were pleased that their agreements had borne fruit, especially so in a pivot teams.

In this room, our friend who looks and behaves like SB, was unhappy. He called the director and complained: "West had an LA to passing out 1NT Redoubled", he began, "and that would have been less successful. West had UI that his double had not been alerted, and 2S is the normal bid". "Au contraire," responded West, who had been on the EBU club director's course, "bidding 2S would be using the UI. I have to assume that East wanted to defend 1NTxx, or he would have bid either 2H - pass or correct - or two of a minor. If anything Pass was demonstrably unsuggested".

How do you rule?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 06:42

I do not think pass is suggested by the UI.

Whether 2S is suggested by the UI is slightly less clear, and I might need to ask West whether he has any agreement with his other partner about what partner's pass over the redouble would show here, but I don't actually need to decide whether or not 2S is suggested to be able to rule that the result stands. (If that rubs up SB the wrong way, so be it....)

#3 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 06:47

View Postlamford, on 2014-November-11, 06:10, said:

In this room, our friend who looks and behaves like SB, was unhappy....

... who had been on the EBU club director's course

Well the initials SB don't ring a bell with me, unless you mean "Son of a b...", and I don't have the benefit of any course. However, I am struggling to see a reason to do anything other say "result stands" - unless I am missing something.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-November-11, 06:53

I'm a bit confused as to what method West thinks he is playing. The way I learned DONT, double can show any single-suiter, not just in the majors. In any case, there are two potential agreements as to what pass over redouble could mean - either suggesting to play there, or just waiting for West to name a suit (in the latter case any bid by East would show a suit of his own).

On the other hand, it probably doesn't matter because it seems pretty clear that none of this is the actual partnership agreement.

I do tend to agree that the UI suggests bidding 2, so I shall let the table result stand.

A slightly stronger argument by SB might have been that there were LAs to the lead of a high spade, though I don't think they would have convinced me.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 06:54

View PostNickRW, on 2014-November-11, 06:47, said:

Well the initials SB don't ring a bell with me

Secretary Bird
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 06:55

Well the initials SB don't ring a bell with me,

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Victor_Mollo
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-November-11, 06:57

Well the initials SB don't ring a bell with me, unless you mean "Son of a b...", and I don't have the benefit of any course. However, I am struggling to see a reason to do anything other say "result stands" - unless I am missing something.

Nick

I think the question is not one of UI, but one of MI, and the TD should consider all aspects. If North had been told that Double showed one major, then he might also have wheeled out the standard convention, over Multi-Landy or relatives of it, of bidding 2NT followed by 3M, showing four of the other major and a stop in the bid major, leading to a contract of 4H. The fact that neither North or South considered this should not deny them redress. It is not their job to decide what would have happened absent the infraction. And the TD is to assume MI rather than misbid in the absence of evidence to the contrary. And, as expected in a pivot teams, there was little evidence.

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-November-11, 06:59

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-November-11, 06:53, said:

I'm a bit confused as to what method West thinks he is playing.

I am sure West was equally confused.

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 07:01

I notice that OP is careful not to say what EW actual agreement was, or if they had one.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-November-11, 07:02

View Postbillw55, on 2014-November-11, 07:01, said:

I notice that OP is careful not to say what EW actual agreement was, or if they had one.

I would think that the actual agreement was, if anything, "undiscussed". As you might expect if you have ever played pivot teams.

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 07:30

View Postlamford, on 2014-November-11, 06:57, said:

And, as expected in a pivot teams, there was little evidence.

that it's a pivot teams is pretty reasonable evidence that they had no agreement.

#12 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 08:48

View Postlamford, on 2014-November-11, 07:02, said:

I would think that the actual agreement was, if anything, "undiscussed". As you might expect if you have ever played pivot teams.

If this was played under EBU regulations then BB2D2 would apply:

Unless a player knows that his partner’s call is not alertable (or announceable) he must alert.

So unless East was sure that the double was for penalties, if there was any doubt that it could have been intended as conventional, they should have alerted and explained that it is undiscussed. This would at least have taken away from NS the implication carried by BB4A6:

If there is no alert and no announcement, opponents can assume that the call does not fall within an alertable or announceable category, through either explicit or implicit understanding.

Whether that explanation would be enough to enable NS to reach their game in hearts is another matter, but it's something the TD should certainly investigate.

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 09:15

So, it is assumed there was no agreement. In that case, how can a failure to alert mean anything? There is no agreement to forget, or to disclose. Is east supposed to say "alert, no agreement"?

Although, I gather from discussions here that doubles are almost always alertable over there, or so it seems to me. If certain doubles of 1NT are alertable, while other types (conceivably, only one) are not, then I suppose the failure to alert could carry MI and/or UI. But then, why should NS have any expectation that EW have agreements here?

All in all there are good reasons I am not a director.

edit: it looks like Vix covered a lot this above.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 09:20

I don't like it for serious play, but the German regulation of "pass, double and redouble are never alerted" certainly has its advantages for casual play like this. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-11, 09:49

View PostVixTD, on 2014-November-11, 08:48, said:

So unless East was sure that the double was for penalties, if there was any doubt that it could have been intended as conventional, they should have alerted and explained that it is undiscussed.

If you haven't discussed any conventional defense to NT, it's normal to assume everything is natural, which includes penalty doubles. So East doesn't have any reason to alert. While it's possible it could be artificial, that's true of almost anything when there's no discussion -- you'd be alerting and explaining "no agreement" all day in a pivot game.

If it were online, you might assume the default is Cappeletti -- in which case double is still for penalty.

#16 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 10:41

View Postlamford, on 2014-November-11, 06:57, said:

I think the question is not one of UI, but one of MI

Yeah, but who gave the MI? Surely you can't say it was East who appeared to assume it was a natural penalty X.

I suppose you could say that West was supposed to call the director because of East's failure to alert and the director then asks East to leave the table while West explains the "agreement". If you think that should have happened, then I suppose you can rule accordingly.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#17 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 11:01

West is right about the implications of UI IMO; if he had pulled the redouble and gained, then I would be adjusting. I don't see why North would do anything differently if told "undiscussed", since East presumably has no idea what it might be other than penalty. If East is aware of what West usually plays with [edit: the other] South, that would be a different matter of course.

It was the Earl of Yarborough, but I shall try to get out more.

#18 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2014-November-11, 11:33

With regards to the UI - then I agree with West. He has to assume that East knows his hand and has decided to defend.

With regards to the MI - NS are entitled to know that EW have no agreement. In fact the law book states that the TD is to rule incorrect explanation instead of incorrect bid which (on the EBU Directors course) is described as TWO convention cards/ system notes agreeing with the description given.

Hence - since there was MI, NS would have taken a different action with the correct Information and their loss was directly attributable to the MI - I would adjust. With 27 points I cannot see NS not reaching 4 Hearts providing they have some method of getting there.

(I might even throw in a bit of 4 Spades X - 3 -800 for fun.)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-November-11, 16:18

View Postweejonnie, on 2014-November-11, 11:33, said:

With regards to the MI - NS are entitled to know that EW have no agreement. In fact the law book states that the TD is to rule incorrect explanation instead of incorrect bid which (on the EBU Directors course) is described as TWO convention cards/ system notes agreeing with the description given.

The default assumption is only used in the absence of evidence to the contrary. The fact that it's a pivot team game and the partnerships don't have system cards is evidence that there are few special agreements. If one of them assumes they do have an agreement like this, they're mistaken, so it's an incorrect bid.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-November-11, 16:31

Anyone think that if West had pulled the redouble, and it worked out OK, SB would have made the argument that West made in response to SB's director call? If reasonable arguments for what is suggested by the UI can be made for both positions, the NOS can always pick the one that implies damage.

But perhaps this means that neither of them is demonstrably suggested.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users