Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WBF "equity" philosophy

#1 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-11, 02:14

In a recent thread nige1 complained about the WBF "equity" philosophy in the current laws.

By complete coincidence I was reading a magazine discussing the new bridge laws:

"A fundamental change is perceptible; and this should operate solely for the good of the game. Penalties there must be, but the whole emphasis in the new code is on equity rather than legality."

Guess the year when this was written.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-November-11, 02:21

View Postpaulg, on 2014-November-11, 02:14, said:

"A fundamental change is perceptible; and this should operate solely for the good of the game. Penalties there must be, but the whole emphasis in the new code is on equity rather than legality."

Guess the year when this was written.

1987? (1975? 1963?? ...)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 03:40

The 1987 Laws preface says "the trend towards reducing automatic penalties, evident in the '63 and '75 codes, continues here", so my guess would be 1963. Sven will have the correct answer.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 07:24

It's a shame that "whole emphasis" wasn't actually true, or even vaguely close to being true.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-November-11, 09:49

View Postgordontd, on 2014-November-11, 03:40, said:

The 1987 Laws preface says "the trend towards reducing automatic penalties, evident in the '63 and '75 codes, continues here", so my guess would be 1963. Sven will have the correct answer.

I don't know everything !!!

(But I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the 1935 laws.)

#6 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-November-11, 11:02

I was reading the editorial of the Contract Bridge Journal from October 1948, available from the English Bridge Web Library. To be fair it relates to the new Rubber Bridge Laws and I've not yet the magazine that discusses the duplicate version.

This edition contains a short commentary on the new laws, for those that are intrigued. For a start it contains the phrase "The Revoke Law has been much simplified and clarified".
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-12, 18:26

View Postpaulg, on 2014-November-11, 02:14, said:

In a recent thread nige1 complained about the WBF "equity" philosophy in the current laws. By complete coincidence I was reading a magazine discussing the new bridge laws: "A fundamental change is perceptible; and this should operate solely for the good of the game. Penalties there must be, but the whole emphasis in the new code is on equity rather than legality." Guess the year when this was written.
The laws have changed little over my life-time. IMO, by and large, the WBF legal philosophy is in the interests of administrators, law-makers, directors and professionals but not other players. Perhaps four out of five ain't bad :)

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-13, 01:15

View Postnige1, on 2014-November-12, 18:26, said:

The laws have changed little over my life-time. IMO, by and large, the WBF legal philosophy is in the interests of administrators, law-makers, directors and professionals but not other players. Perhaps four out of five ain't bad :)

Of course all of those groups contain players and it is open to other players to join them.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users