BBO Discussion Forums: Upgrade to 1NT, playing 15-17 no special agreements #1 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upgrade to 1NT, playing 15-17 no special agreements #1 all vul, p-p-?

Poll: Q87-AK62-T4-AJ92 (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you upgrade this to a 1NT opening?

1. Yes (4 votes [6.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

2. No (55 votes [87.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.30%

3. Depends (pls explain) (4 votes [6.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-10, 06:46

Would you open this 1NT? No special agreements, 15-17 assumed. Does this fall into a "just bridge judgement 1NT" for you?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-November-10, 10:01

I would open this 1NT playing with GIB, but not generally speaking with humans if indeed playing 15-17 (I prefer 14-16 anyway).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-November-10, 10:14

I would not treat this as a 15-17 NT
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 11:02

This one is close, but I would.

Rainer Herrmann

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-November-10, 11:05

If I played 14+ to 17- I'd think about it but still wouldn't, but playing 15-17 I don't see this as good enough. This is a better 14 than the other hand, but not an upgrade to me.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 11:18

If you have to open this 1NT, you should change your range to 14-16, etc so partner has a clue about your actual range.

#7 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-10, 11:18

I think if you are going to play 14-17 you should just say so.

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-10, 11:20

Of course not.. you got a normal, straight down the middle, 14 H. The only reason to open 1NT is a desire/need to hog the hand.

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 11:58

What's special about this hand? Pretty much nothing - no 5-card suit, no touching intermediates, no backup for the SQ... Looks just like a balanced 14 to me and I would treat it as such.

Add the SJ a couple of more useful tens, e.g. QJ7 AK102 64 A1097, and I would upgrade to a 15-17 NT.

ahydra

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 12:23

No way on these colors.

I've upgraded similar spot deficient in 3rd on favorable vul to bug lho knowing it was a swing action and it only works 1/2 the time even then.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 12:37

OK thanks.

This hand and the other similar poll were both opened as 1NT in a team match I played. The player who opened THIS hand (poll #1), made a comment on how bad it was for the other player to upgrade THAT hand (poll #2). I said IMO they're both bad and not worth upgrading, altho his was clearly closer and we got into a bit of an argument on hand evaluation etc.

So I wanted to check, just how close and why wd anyone upgrade in a random game.

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 15:22

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-November-10, 12:37, said:

OK thanks.

This hand and the other similar poll were both opened as 1NT in a team match I played. The player who opened THIS hand (poll #1), made a comment on how bad it was for the other player to upgrade THAT hand (poll #2). I said IMO they're both bad and not worth upgrading, altho his was clearly closer and we got into a bit of an argument on hand evaluation etc.

So I wanted to check, just how close and why wd anyone upgrade in a random game.

Both hands are routine 14 counts. If these are regularly opened 1NT, they should disclose their range as 14 to whatever, otherwise it is a CPU.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 15:44

View Postbillw55, on 2014-November-10, 15:22, said:

Both hands are routine 14 counts. If these are regularly opened 1NT, they should disclose their range as 14 to whatever, otherwise it is a CPU.

Nope the context is different. The hands were opened by two different players, in two random partnerships - no disclosure issues. When they upgraded they did so without partner knowing their 15-17 1NT can look like that. That's why I posted, if two separate people considered these to be worth upgrading maybe I need to fine tune my hand evaluation skills.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-November-10, 16:01

View Postjohnu, on 2014-November-10, 11:18, said:

If you have to open this 1NT, you should change your range to 14-16, etc so partner has a clue about your actual range.

You mean the opponents.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 16:52

On the knife edge, but no upgrade--switch the T and the 7 or 8 and I would.

#16 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-November-10, 21:02

This hand has 14.7 Kaplan and Rubens points. For balanced hands, are roughly comparable in number to the 40 hcp per 52 card hand. pluses that make this a very good hand for 14 HCP: Surplus Ace; 3 quick tricks, a surplus of over 1/2 qt from normal 14 hcp hand,86% of high card strength in the 2 long suits, good placement of 9 with j and higher honor. Neutral factor: only slightly greater than average intermediate spot cards for a hand with this many honors. Negative factor: bad 10 placement. Positive factor not measured in Kaplan and Rubens points: majority of cards in majors.

Reason for aggressive upgrading: Our side is vulnerable. At IMPS vulnerable we gain 10 imps if game is bid and made and they underbid, and lose only 6 imps if we bid to game, and they bid a trick short and both sides make 8 tricks, From this math at the scoring table all authorities agree that games should be bid more aggressively vulnerable than not. Sorry Ggwhiz, your argument for upgrading more NV for third seat preempting fourth is unsound. Strong NTs are for efficient game bidding, not preemption. Thomas Andrews, a major bridge simulator and the author of the free Bridge dealing program Deal, has derived from simulation that game should be bid on average vulnerable at IMPS with 24 hcp between the side when both partners hold balanced hands; versus the 25 hcp generally held necessary not vulnerable when we want a minimum 50% shot at game.

I am my friend Hermann, another fellow simulator, joined me in selecting the upgrade on this hand. It feels much better only being outvoted 13 to 1 rather than 26 to 1.

I am glad that none of my fellow BBO forum members upgraded the other 14 HCP hand. It had sterile distribution and few pluses. I think it is only worth 14.0 Kaplan and Rubens points at most. No where near 15.

#17 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-November-10, 21:11

Both vulnerable at IMPS is the hour for the Hideous Hog!

#18 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-10, 21:19

No. There is no reason to.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#19 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-10, 21:38

late to the thread. I think this one is quite close. We have 5 controls, and only 1 Queen and 1 Jack, This is a significantly above average honour distribution. In addition, and this is a powerful factor, partner is a passed hand and he will almost never invite game after I rebid 1N, even on hands where 9 tricks are pretty good, especially after an uninformative auction.

Having said that, I would need another 10. The problem is that the 10 we own is likely not very useful. It isn't worthless, but I'd want another 10 somewhere else.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#20 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 23:00

Initially I voted (a close) No, but I have changed my vote to a Yes, for three reasons. One, it makes rebidding easier over 1 - 1. I feel that I'll choose the wrong thing to do between raising on 3 and rebidding 1NT with a Max and partner passing with many hands that have great play for game. Two, I am eating up space so the opponents can't make a cheap overcall to find a good contract or lead not otherwise found. Three, if we have the values for 3NT but no Major suit fit, I want to guard the Qxx because I expect a Spade lead.

Only a true hand hog or a person looking for a swing might try 1NT on your second hand. It has nothing to redeem it, and I agree with Mike that it's only worth 13.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users