Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cheating accusation

#1 User is offline   Catfi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-09, 20:12

Tonight my wife and I were accused of cheating. We frequently play as partners. She is invalided, and I am commonly in the same room while we play. While there can be a nearly overwhelming temptation to "talk", we never do. Never! After all, it is only a game and not worth compromising one's principals. Nevertheless, while we were playing tonight (not particularly well!), the table host removed me from the table. My wife then voluntarily left and together we joined another table. Same thing. I was removed again. I can honestly say that I have no idea why because, as I said, we were not playing up to our usual standards, and the bids were very routine. Not game, not slam, small stuff. In the chat bar there then appeared the accusation from someone not playing at our table. Her comment was, "busted". I do not know who this was, but one of the opponents, in response to my "What?", then said "the truth shall set up free". I think he meant us, not "up". In any case, I asked him to explain the actions and the comment, but he has not responded. I have also asked the kibitzer to explain her original comment and have not had a response. I think this is serious business. Is it OK to make these kinds of accusations? Stay tuned.

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-09, 21:30

View PostCatfi, on 2014-November-09, 20:12, said:

Tonight my wife and I were accused of cheating. We frequently play as partners. She is invalided, and I am commonly in the same room while we play.
Another husband-wife partnership, friends of mine, play on-line together, in the same room, but don't talk about the hands. It's easy to cheat on-line but, as you imply, to do so is infra dig. You should report your tormentors to abuse.

#3 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-10, 04:43

Hi Catfi

I looked at your scores for the last 3 days, out of curiosity and there's nothing whatsoever that even hints of cheating. Your only really good scores were from opponents bidding too high and self-destructing or not bidding games etc that they should have done. In fact what evidence there is points to the fact that you WEREN'T cheating -or if you were you're remarkably bad at it! :) - such as not giving partner ruffs when defending, not coming up with the best leads and switches and certainly not ending up in anywhere like the right contract quite often! You weren't even playing in tourneys for points/prizes - just regular club bridge - so would have nothing to gain by cheating.
So maybe there is just some way of seeing that you're playing from the same internet address or something - that causes suspicion maybe?!
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it, in BBO like in life there are some really nasty ignorant people - just ignore them - both of you - and ENJOY your bridge :)
But if they do persist with their allegations - please do report it to Abuse, as you shouldn't have to have your enjoyment spoilt by it.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 04:59

I don't understand - how do the opponents know that you play in the same room?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-10, 05:26

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-November-10, 04:59, said:

Yeah this is pretty weird.

Catfi, report this incident to abuse@bridgebase.com so that they can investigate why your opps or stalker kibber would know this and get them to stop harassing you.

#6 User is offline   Catfi 

• Pip

Posted 2014-November-10, 07:39

I have done a further review of the incident and reported to the abuse address. The original accuser was an opp for one hand. I initially missed that she was at the table. Her partner who made the comment about the truth and freedom also played only the one hand. I think it was the accuser who removed me from the table. The "truth..." comment was made by her partner after I asked why I was removed. It was a 3NT contract, nothing special, and I hope just a case of mistaken identity. In any case, we will not be playing with either again.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 10:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-November-10, 04:59, said:

They shouldn't be able to. BBO Yellows can look up the IP of players, and see that they're coming from the same IP, but ordinary opponents can't.

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 15:17

Last week somebody accused me of cheating and booted me. It was pretty amusing, I was playing with a pickup partner as usual, and nothing out of the ordinary had happened. The table host sent me a PM in all caps "CHEATER" then boot. I just laughed, marked him enemy and found another table. Who knows why people do this?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 09:37

Did you psyche? There are lots of ignorant players who equate psyching with cheating.

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 12:56

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-11, 09:37, said:

Did you psyche? There are lots of ignorant players who equate psyching with cheating.

Not sure if you were asking me or Catfi. But no, I never psyche. Nothing unusual was going on at all.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   Catfi 

• Pip

Posted 2014-November-11, 17:12

OK, What is psyche?

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-11, 18:27

View PostCatfi, on 2014-November-11, 17:12, said:

OK, What is psyche?

Unknown in a Bridge context; but "psych" in Bridge is defined as a gross misstatement of the size/shape of a hand. Like opening 1NT on XX X XXX QJXXXXX.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   mamos 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-12, 03:28

Sorry to hear of your troubles Catfi. Hope it doesn't put the two of you off. I imagine many couples do play on BBO. Generally there is little at stake except an enjoyable game of bridge. My wife and I both play on BBO - not often in the Main Bridge Club and we usually play in different rooms in our house occasionally hurling insults through the walls - we have nicknames that suggest our relationship mamos and s_amos (certainly lacking originality!!). We generally play with friends if we do play - Im pretty sure you could easily find people to play with - maybe in one of the Clubs who would welcome you :) When we used to play in the Main Club I usually told opponents that we were a "couple". You might try this - if people are happy to start you'll avoid the unfortunate, hurtful and unfair comments - certainly invite me some time when you are online and I and many others will be happy to join you both.

Mike

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 03:46

Just don't tell anyone (except for your friends) that you are in the same house as your p. And make sure that your username and profile info don't give a clue to it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 04:42

View PostCatfi, on 2014-November-11, 17:12, said:

OK, What is psyche?

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-November-11, 18:27, said:

Unknown in a Bridge context;

Not unknown - that's the standard spelling over here - though the "e" is not pronounced.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-12, 11:55

Yeah, well, the only thing that is actually *defined* is a "Psychic call". So anyone who complains that the nickname is misspelled ... :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#17 User is offline   Catfi 

• Pip

Posted 2014-November-13, 07:28

Thanks for all the supporting responses. I am beginning to realize that we overreacted and that we should just ignore that kind of behavior. We are not the first at all. My sister-in-law once wisely observed, "Don't make their problem your problem". Still not sure what psyche means in this context.

#18 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-13, 08:51

View PostCatfi, on 2014-November-13, 07:28, said:

Still not sure what psyche means in this context.

Law 40 C. Deviation from System and Psychic Action said:

1. A player may deviate from his side’s announced understandings always, provided that his partner has no more reason to be aware of the deviation than have the opponents. Repeated deviations lead to implicit understandings, which then form part of the partnership’s methods and must be disclosed in accordance with the regulations governing disclosure of system. If the Director judges there is undisclosed knowledge that has damaged the opponents, he shall adjust the score and may award a procedural penalty.
2. Other than the above, no player has any obligation to disclose to the opponents that he has deviated from his announced methods.
3. (a) Unless permitted by the Regulating Authority, a player is not entitled during the auction and play periods to any aids to his memory, calculation or technique.
(b) Repeated violations of requirements to disclose partnership understandings may be penalized.
So, a psychic bid, otherwise known as a psyche or a psych, depending on your locale, is simply a lie. You must be lying equally to your partner and to your opponents. (If your partner knows that you are prone to telling specific types of lies, this must be disclosed to opponents.) Many free BBO tournaments forbid psychic bids, and many players in the Main Bridge Club would equate it with cheating (even though it isn't) and boot you from the table.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users