BBO Discussion Forums: 2 card preference after a snapdragon double ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 card preference after a snapdragon double ? (1C)-1D-(1H)-X

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-November-08, 00:25

(1C)-1D-(1H)-X
(P)-??

can overcaller rebid 1S with a 2452 shape with shitty diamonds ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-08, 12:23

Absolutely. Even with decent diamonds. maybe 1nt should show extras here?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-08, 12:41

Of course overcaller can bid 1 on a doubleton. Why would he want to insist on the 5-2 fit in diamonds (at the two level) when he knows of a 5-2 fit in spades (at the one level)?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-08, 17:36

If double promised five spades, it's fine to bid 1 on a doubleton, just as it's fine to bid 1 on a trebleton in the auction 1 (1) dbl (pass).

I don't think that's the best way to play double, though. It seems obviously better to play that double shows four spades and 1 shows five.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-08, 18:51

I was surprised with the first 2 responses and I agree with Andy. This double means 4 card spades to me.
But then again, I checked the definition of "snapdragon" double on the net and it says usually 6 cards, can be made on 5 cards. So the answer to the OP is obvious.
Some sources define the difference between bidding the 4th suit and showing it via dbl depending on the tolerance to partner's suit.

For example;
AQTxx xxx x QJxx after 1-1-1 bids 1 due to not having tolerance to diamonds
AQTxx xx Qx Qxxx doubles in same auction due to tolerance to diamonds.

None of these explains what to do with 4 card spades and values of course.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-08, 19:06

I saw the same topic in BW. John Diamond says they play snapdragon with an exception for exactly this auction where 1 shows 5 and double shows 4 spades, neither of them says anything about tolerance.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-08, 20:36

This seems to depend on:

1. Would partner ever double with only 4?
2. What does partner do with 5-3 and with 6-2?

My style is that I would double fairly often with 4, at least on hands where I can stand to play a 4-3 fit, and that I would normally bid 1 with 6-2 but would often double with 5-3. Given this style, I think it's wrong for partner to bid 1 on doubleton. Obviously your style may differ.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#8 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-12, 10:38

Even if you generally play Snapdragon doubles I don't think it make sense for them to apply in this auction.

Better to simply bid 1S with 5+S, and save double for hands with 4S and some values.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users