BBO Discussion Forums: Transfer Walsh - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer Walsh Favorite continuations

Poll: Completing the transfer (39 member(s) have cast votes)

1♣-1♦-1♥ or 1♣-1♥-1♠, what does this bid mean?

1. Balanced minimum with 2-3 trumps (24 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

2. Exactly 3, strength up to "less than FG" (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. Artificial and forcing (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

4. Something else (please elaborate) (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dan_ehh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACBL
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, Music

Posted 2014-November-05, 10:36

Hello to all T Walsh players,

I would be interested to know what method you prefer, and what are the reasons.

Thanks,
Dan
Ah, no, no. My name is spelt 'Luxury Yacht' but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.

#2 User is offline   navahak 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-05, 10:44

Minimum 2-3 card support can sometimes win a part score at one level. But I believe that multi meaning forcing agreement generates better continues for strong hands. Basically Gazilli at one level.

It also depends a bit on what 1NT range is. But not too much.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-05, 11:37

Haven't we been here before, and didn't it get ugly? :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 11:40

1C = nat/17-19 NT, 1D = nat/11-13 NT. Completing the transfer shows various unbalanced hands. This give you accurate auctions with little downside on the club/strong balanced hands, while bidding naturally on the weak NTs reduces 4th seat's options and will tend to right-side major contracts when 4th seat overcalls.

If forced to open 1C on both 11-13 and 17-19 NTs, I think I'd play that the transfer complete shows/includes the weak NT and 1NT shows 17-19.

#5 User is offline   dan_ehh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACBL
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, Music

Posted 2014-November-05, 11:55

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-November-05, 11:37, said:

I tried searching but came up empty handed, if you can point me at a previous thread I would very much appreciate it.
Ah, no, no. My name is spelt 'Luxury Yacht' but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-05, 12:05

View Postdan_ehh, on 2014-November-05, 11:55, said:

I tried searching but came up empty handed, if you can point me at a previous thread I would very much appreciate it.

I recall PhilKing suggesting a modified rebid scheme after a T-Walsh response, and it turning into a bit of a scuffle with Mikeh.

As a person contemplating a switch to T-Walsh, I was interested in both sides' points --- but it was contentious, and I can't find it. Might have been an offshoot of a non T-Walsh thread.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 12:11

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-November-05, 12:05, said:

I recall PhilKing suggesting a modified rebid scheme after a T-Walsh response, and it turning into a bit of a scuffle with Mikeh.

As a person contemplating a switch to T-Walsh, I was interested in both sides' points --- but it was contentious, and I can't find it. Might have been an offshoot of a non T-Walsh thread.

http://www.bridgebas...-own-adventure/

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-05, 14:02

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-November-05, 11:37, said:

As one of the protagonists (I think), it didn't seem that ugly to me. I posed some questions, Phil expanded on his original post, I thanked him and that was the end of it, apart from some posters who didn't see that had actually happened piling on to create some fun :P

I saw from what Phil wrote that there are some interesting possibilities beyond the versions of t-walsh with which I was familiar. I am not sure whether Phil's version would work for me, but it's good to see how thoughtful players are developing ideas.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-05, 14:11

View PostMickyB, on 2014-November-05, 11:40, said:

1C = nat/17-19 NT, 1D = nat/11-13 NT. Completing the transfer shows various unbalanced hands. This give you accurate auctions with little downside on the club/strong balanced hands, while bidding naturally on the weak NTs reduces 4th seat's options and will tend to right-side major contracts when 4th seat overcalls.

If forced to open 1C on both 11-13 and 17-19 NTs, I think I'd play that the transfer complete shows/includes the weak NT and 1NT shows 17-19.

I think Phil suggested opening 1 on the strong 1N hands, flipping your use of 1/1.

If I understand you correctly, you would open 1 on 4=4=2=3, with 11-13?

Phil, I assume, would open 1 with 4=4=2=3 17-19?

I can see the arguments for this, but do wonder about the loss of the ability for responder to compete in a minor (especially diamonds, since clubs are often suspect anyway) should 2nd seat interfere. I suspect that in real life this isn't a big deal, especially at imps.

Also, I suppose one needs to have a good structure to allow the two hands to untangle shape/fit if the initial transfer is forced.

I assume that one accepts the transfer only with at least 3 card support? With unbalanced hands lacking any fit, one bids naturally?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-05, 14:40

View Postmikeh, on 2014-November-05, 14:11, said:

I think Phil suggested opening 1 on the strong 1N hands, flipping your use of 1/1.

Yes, Phil puts the weak NT through 1C, I did this briefly before deciding it was better to put it through 1D. Phil's 1NT opening is 15-17, I think his balanced range through 1D is 18-20.

I can see the arguments for this, but do wonder about the loss of the ability for responder to compete in a minor (especially diamonds, since clubs are often suspect anyway) should 2nd seat interfere. I suspect that in real life this isn't a big deal, especially at imps.

When partner opens 1m showing [that suit or a big balanced hand], you are normally well placed - eg after 1C (2S), we can bid 3C to show 3+clubs and 7-10 points, or 2NT to show 5+clubs any strength. It's very rare for the ambiguity to cause you issues.

The gains in competition come mainly on the 17-19 NTs. Say you hold a balanced 18-count and the auction starts 1C (2S) P (3S). How do you feel? If 1C showed 11-13 NT/17-19 NT/clubs, responder has to be wary that opener has the weak balanced hand, thus has to pass over 2S on many moderate hands. In contrast, we can pass happily on a balanced 18 after 1C (2S) P (3S), knowing that partner would already have acted on most 7-counts.

I assume that one accepts the transfer only with at least 3 card support? With unbalanced hands lacking any fit, one bids naturally?

No, I play completing the transfer as showing one of a variety of unbalanced hands without a fit. This approach allows opener to show 54 and stop in 2m, show 5+ and 3-card support and stop in 2, and show a 17-19 NT with 4-card support and stop in 2M. I also use kit to allow responder to show 54 without going past 2, so all 4-4 fits are found when opener is unbalanced.

#11 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-05, 16:20

I play 2-3 support in a weak NT or exactly 3 in a 1-3-4-5 hand. Because those where the notes that Phantomsac, Franceshinden and mgoetze (thanks to the three of them) had posted when I was looking for a method. I'm not sure it's better - I'm often frustrated by not knowing whether I have 2 or 3 card support, but conversely we think opening balanced 11 counts is a winner and I think that you need to have transfer acceptance being the weak NT to enable a 14-16 NT to enable making the approach playable.

I think it's a complex and non-obvious tradeoff. The 1C-1D-1H-1S relay is a cool tool.

#12 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-06, 01:58

I've tried a bunch of variations and settled on short club with 1M rebid on all balanced(ish) hands 11-13(14) HCP and shapely hands with 3c support (less than GF). This works best in the context of short club.

Leaving the 1NT rebid to show (17)18-19 balanced is a huge boon, both because you get a whole extra level on slam/game exploration auctions and also because you can safely respond to 1C on any hand without fear of ending up in 2NT.

The other personal change I've made to traditional walsh is using 1C - 1S as a multi, either 6-10 No Major, G/F 5+ Clubs or Balanced G/F that doesn't want to declare 3NT. Showing clubs rather than diamonds in this way is better in terms of economy and leaves responder room to pattern out their full shape below 3NT if required.

INV+ Diamond hands are handled via 1C - 2C which still leaves room for opener to start with 2D on all minimums without a great fit.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-November-06, 02:04

If 1 includes both balanced ranges, I think it's clear to play that 1NT shows one of them and 1M includes the other. The gains from not having to rebid 2NT are far greater than anything you could gain from another method.

Multiplexing the 1M bid seems worthwhile. Without even trying to be clever, you could play:
1M = 11-14 balanced or unbalanced with 3-card support
2x = natural but denying 3-card support
After 1-1red;1M-1NT, 2 is a minimum unbalanced 3-card raise, and you can use the rest of the two-level to show better raises.

When 1 includes only 11-14 balanced, I play that completing shows 3-card support either balanced or unbalanced, and 1NT shows a weak notrump without 3-card support. That leads to good auctions after those two starts, but Phil's methods look interesting.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 12:02

View Postmikeh, on 2014-November-05, 14:11, said:

Also, I suppose one needs to have a good structure to allow the two hands to untangle shape/fit if the initial transfer is forced.

After, say 1-(1) responder can compete pretty aggressively in diamonds when the balanced option is very strong - 3 card support is certainly enough at the two level.

When they come in over 1 things are much worse, but at least we have only one balanced range to worry about.

In MickyB's system, the situation is reversed.

#15 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-07, 05:23

1 1red completion = 12-14, 2 or 3

My reasons for completing to be 2 or 3 card support 12-14 and 1NT to be 17/18 are that it makes it very east for responder to use stayman and transfers over the 1NT with major holdings in the same way as after a 1NT open, and everything is easy. Transfer with one major 5+, and if both majors bid 2. Intuitive and instinctive. After a major completion use 2/ artificially to show invitational or better hands with both or one major, and you get a fit with game invitation declined played by opener at the 2 level. This is a good use of the low-level opener continuation, as well as allowing a weak 5 card major to show that hand effectively by passing the completion.

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-07, 05:28

I have only played the 1M = 3 card support version, and I am convinced now that it is not optimum, 1NT rebid for 19 balanced is powerful.

I would like to toy around with a 2NT rebid with 20-21 leaving 2NT for 22-23 (or perhaps minors and kokish), but not sure how it would go, anyone got experience?

#17 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-07, 05:41

View PostFluffy, on 2014-November-07, 05:28, said:

I have only played the 1M = 3 card support version, and I am convinced now that it is not optimum, 1NT rebid for 19 balanced is powerful.

I would like to toy around with a 2NT rebid with 20-21 leaving 2NT for 22-23 (or perhaps minors and kokish), but not sure how it would go, anyone got experience?

I play a 15/16 1NT, so use after 1 use a 2-way split with 1NT=17/18 and 2NT = 19. Not the same range as yours, mainly because I judge my partners not adventurous enough to make that 19/20. But it works, and I have had no problems with it.

Edit - responses to this 2NT for us are exactly the same as over 1NT, just everything shifted a level higher. No problems.

Edit - I would suggest though that you are getting into dangerous territory if you extend the 2NT rebid to be any stronger. If it could be a 21, you are effectively insisting your partner responds to 1 on a flat 4 count. No experience of that, but I don't like the sound of it.

This post has been edited by fromageGB: 2014-November-07, 05:47

#18 User is offline   navahak 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-07, 06:38

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-November-07, 05:41, said:

Edit - I would suggest though that you are getting into dangerous territory if you extend the 2NT rebid to be any stronger. If it could be a 21, you are effectively insisting your partner responds to 1 on a flat 4 count. No experience of that, but I don't like the sound of it.

This works very well if one changes his biding attitude about strong hands that opener holds. That includes biding after Gazilli and reverses needs to adjust so one can stop low enough.

Of course this adjustment to biding thinking is surprising hard. Even adjusting to biding after overcalls seems to be near impossible for most bridge players. They seems to think they bid same after opening bid and one level overcall.

#19 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-07, 06:55

View Postnavahak, on 2014-November-07, 06:38, said:

This works very well if one changes his biding attitude about strong hands that opener holds.

It's not the strong hands that are the problem. I'm thinking of a 12 count opener and a 4 count responder laying themselves open to penalty doubles. I suppose this is no different from a very weak responder running from a weak 1NT doubled, but you are deliberately exposing yourself to extra risk for perhaps little gain.

Even when not doubled, your -200 is not usually a good score.

#20 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-07, 07:36

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-November-07, 05:41, said:

What's wrong, though, with extending the range to be 19-20 (assuming, at any rate, your 1 opener is reasonably sound.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users