BBO Discussion Forums: Play this exciting match with me - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play this exciting match with me A series of real life bidding and play decisions

#1 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-05, 10:25

I recently played a teams-of-four match for a league, the format is IMPs converted to victory points. We are playing 24 boards, and it was a pretty crazy set of hands, maybe you could see how you would have handled the following hands:
1) Love all: Axx Qx Axxx KTxx RHO deals: 4S - P - P - 5H - X - ? Double shows extra offence and a desire to not defend.
Spoiler

2) Bid the right slam with these cards, I'm always wary of putting these up, because seeing all the hands everybody seems to be able to magically bid the right level and strain, but hoping that it is straightforward to bid a grand, hopefully you'll be honest and suggest how to reach 7, our own sequence was flawed, and I should have just bid 4NT over 1:
Our auction, the person who doubled forgot they were on lead with a void...

3) Play 5:
2D lead, if you play low North plays the seven, if you play the ten they play the king.

4) Choose a lead:
Apparently this sequence is invitational...

The last hand was actually a bit more complicated, as we had some misinformation, I might post about that in the Ethics/Ruling section.

#2 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-05, 13:45

Just a suggestion but if you put the hands in separate threads you are more likely to get better discussion and more well thought out comments, otherwise it can become a bit of a mess. :) Especially as these are all cool hands.

Anyway, here's my $.02. It's a bit perfunctory so sorry if I've said something dumb.

1) If North doubled I would redouble which would set up a forcing pass. I would also not bother with doubling with the North hand (even though I have that agreement). I would just bid 5S immediately over 5H at this vul.

2) We would bid:

1-1-4NT(exclusion for H with a S void)-5(0/3)-5(Q?)-5N(Yes, no A, no minor Kings, something extra).

Then nothing is discussed but North can bid 6C which must show all the keys and the K and South can bid the diamond grand which must be better in at least a 5-5 fit than the H grand in a possible 4-4 fit.

3) Just at a super-quick speedball glance: win the 8 , ruff a spade and run the Q pitching a H. If covered ruff, ruff a S back to dummy do your club pitches and finesse the D. If not covered take the D finesse ruff a spade, A

4) Changed my mind on this from a S to a D playing partner for that magic Q. The chances of getting a spade ruff at some point are very minimal.

This post has been edited by broze: 2014-November-05, 14:26

'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-05, 14:47

1. Rdbl.

2. I'd reach 7 with regular pard with the N cards. With the S cards I dunno what pard might come up with.

3. Ruff a spade, re-finesse , take it from there.

4. Spade.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-November-05, 17:52

KurtGodel wrote "I recently played a teams-of-four match for a league, the format is IMPs converted to victory points. We are playing 24 boards, and it was a pretty crazy set of hands, maybe you could see how you would have handled the following hands:
1) Love all: Ax Qxx Axxx KTxx RHO deals: 4S - P - P - 5H - X - ? Double shows extra offence and a desire to not defend.
The actually auction, we didn't have this agreement with double, so I bid just the once with N hand."

IMO, assuming hand on left, rather than hand above)...
5 = 10, XX = 9, 6 = 8

"2) Bid the right slam with these cards, "

IMO (On a good day) ...
1 (NAT) - 3 (PRE May have 4M).
3 (NAT F1) - 4 (NAT).
4 (RKC for {HE]) - 5 (NONE).
5 (ASK) - 5 (Q + K).
7 (NAT hoping partner has some s)

"3) Play 5: 2D lead, if you play low North plays the seven, if you play the ten they play the king."

IMO: Win 8, AK discarding , ruff, A, run Q unless covered.

4) Choose a lead: Apparently this sequence is invitational...
The last hand was actually a bit more complicated, as we had some misinformation, I might post about that in the Ethics/Ruling section."

IMO A = 10, A = 9, x = 8, x = 7.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-06, 04:25

jezuz what a mess :)

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-06, 10:21

View Postbroze, on 2014-November-05, 13:45, said:

2) We would bid:

1-1-4NT(exclusion for H with a S void)-5(0/3)-5(Q?)-5N(Yes, no A, no minor Kings, something extra).

Using exclusion would be an error, imo. You have all the relevant keycards, so if he shows a keycard over regular keycard, you know it is the spade Ace. Use exclusion only when you may be unable to know which keycards he shows.

If he holds the spade A, then we check on the heart Q and bid the (virtually) cold 7N, not the 7that can fail on a diamond lead on a bad day.

There is another side effect to using regular keycard, that may work if the opps are gullible. Partner shows no keycards and you check for the Q and bid grand anyway. Not only may someone double and lead the spade A, but even if they don't double, they may lead that card anyway, when a diamond would beat you. Pretending to have a spade may come in handy :D That is not, however, the reason for eschewing exclusion.

Reaching 7 would be beyond my abilities....thankfully.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 17:42

View Postmikeh, on 2014-November-06, 10:21, said:

Using exclusion would be an error, imo. You have all the relevant keycards, so if he shows a keycard over regular keycard, you know it is the spade Ace. Use exclusion only when you may be unable to know which keycards he shows.

If he holds the spade A, then we check on the heart Q and bid the (virtually) cold 7N, not the 7that can fail on a diamond lead on a bad day.

There is another side effect to using regular keycard, that may work if the opps are gullible. Partner shows no keycards and you check for the Q and bid grand anyway. Not only may someone double and lead the spade A, but even if they don't double, they may lead that card anyway, when a diamond would beat you. Pretending to have a spade may come in handy :D That is not, however, the reason for eschewing exclusion.

Reaching 7 would be beyond my abilities....thankfully.

Agree with this - keycard is probably better. Although my reason for using exclusion was not merely an oversight but it clarifies sequences later, where p might waste space showing the S king. Also tells p more about our own hand to judge the final contract.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-November-06, 18:39

Not to hijack the thread, I will just point out that Hand 2 is dirt easy with Misiry....

2NT 3C
4NT 7H
Pass

At imps, you might prefer 7D, or you, or responder might use the bid the grand in the suit in which you hold the jack or bid it in your longer suit bid over 4NT (6NT). Over 4NT, you know your heart Queen and your singleton club handle openers two losers.... The response tree with a red two suiter is given below.

With Heart and Diamond Two Suiter
2NT --> 3♣

• 3D 4 losers, hearts and diamonds
  • 3NT 3 losers, H+D, need club King (or spade ACE)
  • 4C 3 loser, H+D, need for club Ace
  • 4D 3 loser, H+D no need for club
  • 4NT 2 losers, H+D, need club King (or spade ace)
  • 5C 2 loser, H+D, need for club Ace
  • 5 D 2 loser, H+D, no need for club
  • 5NT 1 losers, H+D, need club King
  • 5C 1 loser, H+D, need for club Ace
  • 5D 1 loser, H+D, no need for club
  • 6C 0 loser, H+D, better hearts
  • 6D 0 losers, H+D, better diamonds
  • 6NT 0 loser, H+D equal suits
Now back to the other questions at hand.

--Ben--

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-07, 04:08

I also find board 2 rather easy with sayc :P

1-2

ok, ok, should ask for trump queen before.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-November-07, 05:07

what for? live fast, die young Posted Image

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-November-07, 05:59

You deserve to find dummy with

KJ
QJx
xxxx
Qxxx

:P
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-07, 09:19

Won't care as long as they lead A :)

#13 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge