BBO Discussion Forums: How many spades are you bidding? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many spades are you bidding? A bidding problem followed by some flashy play from partner.

Poll: 1C - 1S - 1NT - ? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

8632 9762 K8643 - Love all, pairs

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2S (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. 3S (40 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

4. 4S (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

5. 3C (mixed raise) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-03, 06:36

Please answer the poll before looking at the hands!
So you pick up the above hand in a Swiss Pairs competition, this is the first board of seven in the match, you haven't had the chance to assess whether opposition are any good, but given the overall standard of the event you would guess that they are not likely to be good. There are three rounds to go and you are in contention to win the event (just trying to add some atmosphere). If it helps, the opponents are playing a 12-14 NT, and opening 1 guarantees four. Partner is always sound. Partner is also used to being raised aggressively, if that factors into your decision. Would you bid any differently at IMPs?
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-03, 07:22

3 for me. And, you should hide the scores too.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 07:23

I bid 3S. Partner raises to 4, fair enough. Looks rather tight in the play though - assume club lead, he ruffs, diamond to A, another ruff, diamond K throwing a heart, diamond ruff, club ruff, diamond ruff. Let's say W overruffs and returns a club. Ruff, heart x2 and W is endplayed. Bingo!

The nice thing is that despite the horrible trump split W can't lead trumps to reduce the ruffs without giving away a trick.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 07:26

View Postbillw55, on 2014-November-03, 07:22, said:

3 for me. And, you should hide the scores too.

Good point, have done this.

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 07:31

Without thinking about the hands specifically, it seems like in the context you give, the best strategy might be making marginally anti-% choices to generate swings. It depends on your utility function, but if you attach infinite value to winning, for eg, I'd think it clear to do so.

That said, I'm not sure what such a call would be here. Pass and 4 look anti-% and swing-generating, but probably too much of the former so to consider seriously. 2 and 3 look like the choices most likely to put you with the room, with 3 slightly edgier and without so much of an upside. If it's right for them to X (and they're capable of it at all), they'll probably do so whether you bid it now or a round later.

I think I'd just go for a pedestrian 2 against the opps you describe. There's an outside chance of that getting passed out and making on the nose, and everything else seems to be gambling too much - P will still have a chance to get a chuck or try for his own marginal gamble in the play.

At IMPs I'd probably try 3, without much conviction that it's right to do so. P will frequently raise me when we're making 4, and the chances of going for a number if I raise to it directly look quite high.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#6 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 07:40

Having looked at the scores and all four hands, I'm still not sure what would lead to the best result. We could end up just about anywhere after 2. Meanwhile 4 looks like one down on a diamond lead, which doesn't look that unlikely if the opps like passive leads at MPs (though I think I'd lead a ).

#7 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 07:45

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-03, 07:31, said:

Without thinking about the hands specifically, it seems like in the context you give, the best strategy might be making marginally anti-% choices to generate swings. It depends on your utility function, but if you attach infinite value to winning, for eg, I'd think it clear to do so.

That said, I'm not sure what such a call would be here. Pass and 4 look anti-% and swing-generating, but probably too much of the former so to consider seriously. 2 and 3 look like the choices most likely to put you with the room, with 3 slightly edgier and without so much of an upside. If it's right for them to X (and they're capable of it at all), they'll probably do so whether you bid it now or a round later.

I think I'd just go for a pedestrian 2 against the opps you describe. There's an outside chance of that getting passed out and making on the nose, and everything else seems to be gambling too much - P will still have a chance to get a chuck or try for his own marginal gamble in the play.

At IMPs I'd probably try 3, without much conviction that it's right to do so. P will frequently raise me when we're making 4, and the chances of going for a number if I raise to it directly look quite high.

I felt like I was worth somewhere between 2 and 3, closer to 3. I don't really know whether you need to shoot to win these things, every time I've won something it's because we've played reasonably well and got reasonably lucky. I would rather do worse overall and bring more back trophies though :D. That being said it can't be good to play bridge all the time where you make deliberately sub-optimal decisions. Maybe it means when I play in the sort of event where I'd be happy with 50% I wouldn't be able to do the right thing because I'm so used to swinging.

#8 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 08:07

My RHO may have a S stop and a club fit which is ok with me. I can't bid 2S as that shows something which I don't really have,3S for me and happy if partner bids more.

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-03, 08:30

obv 4.. we's gots'a void.

by the way Kurt, any new corollaries for your incompleteness theorems? :)

#10 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 08:37

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-November-03, 08:30, said:

obv 4.. we's gots'a void.

by the way Kurt, any new corollaries for your incompleteness theorems? :)

Yes 4 is clearly winning on the layout because partner would xx :).
Corollary: Even with a perfect bidding system you cannot reach the optimal contract on every deal :P

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-November-03, 08:38

2S for me after a temptation to bid 3S. There are reasons not to get too aggressive. The opps are unlikely to have a heart fit. My hand isn't so good and the 1NT bid is likely to have spades bottled up. I think I might even sell out to 3 clubs - but would likely bid 3S. Bottom line, I don't want to sell my hand to partner as more than it is - if I had Kxxx of spades and nothing else, I would agree with an immediate 3S.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 09:54

View PostKurtGodel, on 2014-November-03, 07:45, said:

I would rather do worse overall and bring more back trophies though :D. That being said it can't be good to play bridge all the time where you make deliberately sub-optimal decisions.

No, sure. I would think the best strategy for winning would be to play solid bridge through 80-90% of the event, then if you're in the top few, start looking for a few marginal decisions. That said, that's probably more true in a stronger field. If the top contenders aren't that impressive, then just playing sound all the way through and letting them make their own mistakes might work as well or better.

#13 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2014-November-03, 10:33

I would bid 3.
South played nicely, but after a small trump lead I don't see how he can avoid losing 2, 1 en 1.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#14 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-03, 16:44

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-03, 09:54, said:

No, sure. I would think the best strategy for winning would be to play solid bridge through 80-90% of the event, then if you're in the top few, start looking for a few marginal decisions. That said, that's probably more true in a stronger field. If the top contenders aren't that impressive, then just playing sound all the way through and letting them make their own mistakes might work as well or better.

I'm not totally sure about the weaker fields thing, for what it's worth. My experience (which is 100% at imps) suggests that pre-empting aggressively is important, because weaker pairs are even less likely to make the right decision. I would agree that getting your bidding, defence and declarer play 'right' is worth a lot too.

#15 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-04, 05:24

View Postdicklont, on 2014-November-03, 10:33, said:

I would bid 3.
South played nicely, but after a small trump lead I don't see how he can avoid losing 2, 1 en 1.

At first I thought that this was true, and that the only way to beat it was a trump lead. But in fact you can win in hand, ruff a club, diamond to the ace, ruff a club, king of diamonds pitching a club, diamond ruff, club ruff and a heart to the jack. Now LHO must allow you to score your small trump. They can mark time by cashing a heart but now must play a club or a trump.

#16 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-November-04, 10:36

View PostKurtGodel, on 2014-November-04, 05:24, said:

At first I thought that this was true, and that the only way to beat it was a trump lead. But in fact you can win in hand, ruff a club, diamond to the ace, ruff a club, king of diamonds pitching a club, diamond ruff, club ruff and a heart to the jack. Now LHO must allow you to score your small trump. They can mark time by cashing a heart but now must play a club or a trump.

The only lead to beat it is a diamond because it removes an entry to ruff a club without giving up a trick.
Become yourself.

#17 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-04, 12:44

4s

It is vastly netter to get this bid out of the way immediately rather
than give the opps all kinds of choices. Surely we would not allow them
to play 3n and we also leave them more space to investigate 5c for ex.

P has a rock and the opps are very close to making 5c. I would be a ton
happier with the opps guessing to bid 5c than letting them explore and bid
5c. This hand contains a mere wisp of defense so it would seem better to try
to shut the opps out of the bidding.

The 4s bid is not expected to make but it will generally yield far less than
the opps are normally destined to get. especially if it is not x. That void
is a very nice offensive surprise.

#18 User is offline   boosterbbh 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-05, 03:22

View Postdicklont, on 2014-November-03, 10:33, said:

I would bid 3.

With an end play.
After seeing west has all the spades I take the lead with my 9.
Trick 2: leading a club and ruff.
Trick 3: low diamond to ace.
Trick 4: another club.
Trick 5: low diamond and ruff.
Trick 6: another club.
Trick 7: k of diamond dropping the last club.
Round 8 (losing the trick): playing diamond. If west ruffs then I make all 3 last trumps. Therefore he gives the trick to his partner. If he throws the q of heart he drops a winner, and also has to come back with either a trump or a club, both selling a trick. Therefore he discards the club. Of course I drop a low heart.
9: if east leads a heart west wins 2 hearts and sells the trump trick. If east plays a club it is more difficult. South must then ruff high. West can either discard the q heart or a low trump. If he discards the q of heart west may only take another heart and another spade (because of the end play). If he drops a trump then he takes 2 heart tricks and must sell the last 2 trump tricks. Note that if south doesn't ruff high on the club lead of this round the contract is doomed

#19 User is offline   boosterbbh 

• Pip

Posted 2014-November-05, 03:34

View PostLord Molyb, on 2014-November-04, 10:36, said:

The only lead to beat it is a diamond because it removes an entry to ruff a club without giving up a trick.

Also then the contract can be made.
1: diamond lead to the ace.
2: ruffling club in dummy.
3: ruffing diamond in hand.
4: ruffing club in dummy.
5: ruffing diamond in hand.
6: ruffing club in dummy.
7: leading king of diamond and dropping the last club, losing to west.
8: if west leads his club I ruff in dummy and discard a heart, returning a heart, losing both but taking the rest of the rest of the trumps, making it up to 10 tricks. Either a lead of hearts or a lead of a trump sells the last trick needed

#20 User is offline   boosterbbh 

• Pip

Posted 2014-November-05, 04:52

Forgot about west's last club. Contract may be defeated then

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users