BBO Discussion Forums: Unexpected High Level Action - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unexpected High Level Action

Poll: Unexpected High Level Action (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Your action over 4S?

1. Pass (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. Double (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 5H (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

4. 5C (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-November-02, 19:48

You are playing out the string in the last round of a Regional Swiss Team. You are not in contention, nor are your opponents. That doesn't mean that you won't give them a good fight.

All vul. IMPs converted to VPs. 7 board match.

Your action?

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-02, 19:57

What is the meaning of 4H, Art? What would 3D/4D show?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-02, 19:58

RHO has a big diamond fit but is checking back for a cheaper 4-level save. Something like 5=1=4=3 or such. While slam is remote, opposite xx Axxxx xx Kxxx it is very good, hence worth a try
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-November-03, 01:13

View Postthe hog, on 2014-November-02, 19:57, said:

What is the meaning of 4H, Art? What would 3D/4D show?

4 is preemptive. 3 would show values. 4 would be a splinter.

#5 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2014-November-03, 01:31

I would go ahead and bid 5. Let them make the next guess. At least you have lots of trumps to support your bid. Will you push them into a makeable slam? I dunno. You get to figure that out on the next round of bidding.
Trixi

#6 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 02:46

Not going quietly and bidding 5C should help us defending spades. Basically we are not even sure we can beat 5S, plus I am willing to bet they make 4 easy. 4H from partner could be resonable and attempting to shut out spades. All we really know is partner can't be really good. Looks to me like everyone has shape, we may have no H tricks so it appears it all boils down to how many C we can get should we defend 5S. No one knows with these hands 6H maight even be a good save.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-03, 02:48

they have a makeable slam??? I can't believe that.. Rather, WE might very well have a makeable slam if pard has xxx Axxxx xxx Kx.

anyway, 5

#8 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 06:06

Depends a lot on the range of hands your P will bid 4 with. If it could include reasonably strong hands, then xx Axxxx xx Kxxx might not raise to 6 anyway (what does Ax xxxxx xx Kxxx do?). If it's sufficiently thin then P might have bid something stronger with mikeh's hand.

While I think with most Ps, 5 would be odds on constructively, I'm also worried that when we don't have six on (most of the time), it could push them into a good 6-level sac over over our game, so I marginally prefer the more ambiguous 5 bid.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-November-03, 07:27

There was a lot here that did not make sense. Here is the full hand:

I didn't have any slam aspirations - perhaps I should have. So, instead of bidding 5 (which, in retrospect, is probably a good idea), I bid 5.

But, going back to the auction. West passed with a pretty good hand. I made a normal opening and East made a rather aggressive overcall on a weak suit. My partner put the pressure on with 4. Now, West, having not opened the bidding, decided to introduce his spade suit at the 4 level. The 4 bid was made after very long thought. I bid 5, and East passed. Perhaps he should double, but his partner was a passed hand. This went back to West, who thought about this for a good 2 minutes. He found a double, which is an interesting choice with a heart void and QTxx in support of his partner's suit. This resulted in down one.

At the other table, my teammate holding the West cards opened 1. My hand bid 2 Michaels, and East passed (what should he do?). South bid 4, and this was passed around to East, who doubled. 4x was duly bid and made. Perhaps this should be an ATB problem.

The play in 4 (or 5x, for that matter) is not trivial, but both declarers took 10 tricks. 5x down 1 on a club ruff is par. Our opps beat par at both tables.

In any case, we lost 14 IMPs on this board and the match by 2 IMPs. A disappointing end to a disappointing day, especially considering that we won this event last year.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 07:58

View PostArtK78, on 2014-November-03, 07:27, said:

I didn't have any slam aspirations - perhaps I should have. So, instead of bidding 5 (which, in retrospect, is probably a good idea), I bid 5.

But, going back to the auction. West passed with a pretty good hand. I made a normal opening and East made a rather aggressive overcall on a weak suit. My partner put the pressure on with 4. Now, West, having not opened the bidding, decided to introduce his spade suit at the 4 level. The 4 bid was made after very long thought. I bid 5, and East passed. Perhaps he should double, but his partner was a passed hand. This went back to West, who thought about this for a good 2 minutes. He found a double, which is an interesting choice with a heart void and QTxx in support of his partner's suit. This resulted in down one.

At the other table, my teammate holding the West cards opened 1. My hand bid 2 Michaels, and East passed (what should he do?). South bid 4, and this was passed around to East, who doubled. 4x was duly bid and made. Perhaps this should be an ATB problem.

The play in 4 (or 5x, for that matter) is not trivial, but both declarers took 10 tricks. 5x down 1 on a club ruff is par. Our opps beat par at both tables.

In any case, we lost 14 IMPs on this board and the match by 2 IMPs. A disappointing end to a disappointing day, especially considering that we won this event last year.

Everything but 2 by E looks reasonable to me.(weak suit, weak hand, weak shape and vulnerable) We all knew W had a 5 raise with spades. So he (and me) believed that he already showed those diamonds. His double is debatable, but I am sure he decided that you guys can not make 5 because his side has more than the half of the deck.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-03, 08:42

Well 2 preempts South out of its most common responses (1, 1NT).. in my opinion the blocking effect compensates for its friskiness. (sp?)

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 12:07

You can also overcall 2 with J10x QJxxx 10xx xx, it will have its blocking effect :D

Yesterday partner jumped to 3NT with K109xx on their 2 level 5 card suit overcall, they were vul and we weren't *sigh*

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-November-03, 12:13

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-November-03, 08:42, said:

Well 2 preempts South out of its most common responses (1, 1NT).. in my opinion the blocking effect compensates for its friskiness. (sp?)

That comment reminds me of a hand from a local (well, about 120 km from home) tournament a few years ago. An aspiring player, a friend of my partner, got into a discussion about overcalls, and I said that when red one should at least have an opening hand and a decent suit for a 2-level overcall. AP laughed and said that that was too conservative and made life too easy for the opps.

Partner opened 1M, AP overcalled 2 on AKxxx and a side King, and went for 1400.

One hand proves nothing, but making bad, short suit 2-level overcalls on semi-balanced hands is evidence of playing in very weak games (where the opps don't know how to play) or possession of a suicidal impulse at the table.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 12:38

I totally agree with mikeh in principle but the red flag here is last match, both out of contention. I've pulled out the ole midnight ko style on similar occasion too.

A fun poll might be "Would you open the west hand?" .... and tell the unanimous YES voters that they lost 14 imps like I would have here.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   louisg 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-03, 21:30

View PostArtK78, on 2014-November-03, 07:27, said:

5x down 1 on a club ruff is par. Our opps beat par at both tables.

Just to set the record straight:

1) At the other table, South bid only 3 in response to Michaels, and North raised to game. I was East, and my double was intended to show transferable values, though of course partner will pass most of the time at this level (I'd have doubled 2 with a purely defensive hand). My partner might have bid 4NT over it with his actual hand, but I have a lot of sympathy for his pass.

2) Par is 5x down 2 (not 1). After the singleton club lead, North should switch to his spade while he has trump control, and then both defenders get a ruff. Of course, an unlikely spade lead at trick 1 also works.

3) Certainly a disappointing end to the day, but we'll get them next year!

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-November-04, 06:32

View Postlouisg, on 2014-November-03, 21:30, said:

Just to set the record straight:

1) At the other table, South bid only 3 in response to Michaels, and North raised to game. I was East, and my double was intended to show transferable values, though of course partner will pass most of the time at this level (I'd have doubled 2 with a purely defensive hand). My partner might have bid 4NT over it with his actual hand, but I have a lot of sympathy for his pass.

2) Par is 5x down 2 (not 1). After the singleton club lead, North should switch to his spade while he has trump control, and then both defenders get a ruff. Of course, an unlikely spade lead at trick 1 also works.

3) Certainly a disappointing end to the day, but we'll get them next year!

Thanks for the clarifications, Lou. Can't remember when you last posted here.

Getting a spade ruff never occurred to me, but you are 100% correct that we can beat 5 2 tricks. The reason that getting a spade ruff never occurred to me was that I was declaring 5x on a low spade lead (these opps had informed me that they lead low from a doubleton when they are seeking a ruff). I had assumed that the spade lead was a singleton and I never altered that assumption even when faced with concrete evidence to the contrary. Obviously, if we are defending 5x, it is not difficult to get a spade ruff.

The interesting thing is if I choose to pass over 4 (and only one person has voted for that action so far) it seems that East, holding Tx of spades, may pass. Now South may double (he could pass for +200 or +300). Do EW sit for 4x or do they go back to 5?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users