BBO Discussion Forums: 3NT after a suit-fit (1H-2H) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

3NT after a suit-fit (1H-2H)

#1 User is offline   newbdonkey 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-02, 10:12

Hi,
This week, I saw two instances where the bidding went 1-2-3NT. 1, raised by partner and then opener rebids 3NT.
What does the 3NT rebid indicate after a suit fit is identified?
Regards,

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-02, 10:37

3NT is a suggestion to play 3NT, giving responder the choice between 3NT and 4.

Most of the times, when there is an eight card fit in a major, 4 or 4 plays better than 3NT. Sometimes, however, 3NT plays better. This is typically true when both hands are balanced, or when both hands have many HCPs, but simply lack 3 aces (or 2 aces and 3 kings). (The defense will take those same tricks in a major suit contract and in 3NT.)

This means that opener typically has an 18-19 point balanced hand with 5 hearts.

If responder is looking at a 3334 distribution, he knows that he won't be able to take any ruffs in the short hand, and most likely the hand will take as many tricks in 3NT as in 4. With such a hand, responder will pick 3NT.

Responder might also have a 4315 distribution. In that case, he will expect to be able to score a few ruffs in a heart contract. So, he will convert 3NT to 4.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-02, 10:37

In this forum, I suggest it is a strong balanced hand, say a 19 count? If playing 4 card majors it suggests a 3433 shape or close. If 5 card majors a {5332} hand with 5 hearts. Responder should revert to the major with a bit of shape.

#4 User is offline   newbdonkey 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-02, 13:19

Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users