BBO Discussion Forums: 2S opening in 3th hand - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2S opening in 3th hand

#21 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-November-02, 14:34

View Postkgr, on 2014-November-01, 07:41, said:

IMP's; NV vs V

3th hand after 2 passes.
I was highly critised for opening 2 on BBO (By 2 partners after the 1st left asking if I was drunk). How bad is it?

I agree with the critics. Not a good enough hand, not a good enough suit, and not a long enough suit: three strikes.

Doesn't mean I might not try it, late in a team match where we need a swing. But I would regard it as a psych.

#22 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-November-02, 15:46

hand has a HORRIBLE offense-to-defense ratio.. just pass

#23 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-02, 17:37

View PostMrAce, on 2014-November-02, 06:05, said:

I tried to impress my pds too in my early years. I impressed them the most when I stopped trying to impress them. Ironic but it is true, at least for me.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if this a language barrier issue, but assuming the latter, 'impress on' means to make sure they understand, not to flash my bidding muscles.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-02, 18:07

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-02, 17:37, said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if this a language barrier issue, but assuming the latter, 'impress on' means to make sure they understand, not to flash my bidding muscles.

Former. I should have strikethrough "on" when I was quoting you.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   blue haze 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-04, 05:57

Two spades is a fine bid provided 1)the next time you hold S-KQ109xx H- x D-xx C-QJ9x you intend to open 2C 2)you never intend to play with your current partner (or any partner)more than once 3)you ALWAYS play against novice opponents who have no idea how to bid their cards 4)you purchase lottery tickets every week because if this strategy is successful for you over the long run, you are incredibly lucky Blue Haze

#26 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2014-November-04, 09:14

In this particular situation your bid should have maximal effect versus a partnership that has likely never played together before. The probable impact on partner, wtf. Ain't BBO indies fun. To say that this is really bridge - whatever?
Trixi

#27 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-04, 10:42

View Postblue haze, on 2014-November-04, 05:57, said:

Two spades is a fine bid provided 1)the next time you hold S-KQ109xx H- x D-xx C-QJ9x you intend to open 2C

Why, because you want P to bid game with Axxx Kxx Jxxx Kx? Open 1 if you're worried about missing game with that hand, and play Drury.

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-November-02, 15:46, said:

hand has a HORRIBLE offense-to-defense ratio.. just pass

I don't agree, in expectation. It has zero defence - they almost certainly have a game and quite likely a slam available, but it has quite a lot of offensive potential. The important thing is including P's hand in the calculation - he's very unlikely to show up with 3.4 defensive tricks to combine with your 0.3ish of one, but can quite plausibly show up with 3-5 or even 6Ss.

As long as he doesn't go raising you on weak balanced hands with 3-4 card support (which is prob bad bridge even if you don't open hands like this - even on the hand in gave earlier in this post, I'd expect P to pass, and this is one of the few occasions where I think passing then competing is a good strategy), that means for both opps your partnership's expectation is still 7-8 cards (unless they happen to have 5 or 6 of their own. Doesn't happen much, or guarantee they'll manage to penalise you profitably when they do).

Also ODR isn't as big a factor as for other preempts. Whereas with a first or second seat preempt you're suggesting to P the possibility of a high level sac (so having a lot of outside losers can go wrong whenever he raises you), with a third-seat preempt you're not inviting P to get involved. On this hand, since it's very rare either that 2 will get passed out or that P will raise you, your main goal is just to eat their bidding space without the risk (or at least without much of it) that your partnership will end up overcompeting as a result.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users