• You cannot reply to this topic

2S opening in 3th hand

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-November-01, 07:41

IMP's; NV vs V

3th hand after 2 passes.
I was highly critised for opening 2 on BBO (By 2 partners after the 1st left asking if I was drunk). How bad is it?

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 08:05

It's bad, but certainly not drunk.

And bad can be good, but drunk can't.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-01, 08:07

What were they proposing instead? 2? 1 strong NT?

2 seems pretty normal in 3rd favorable. Tell the sewing circle to fan themselves and not swoon.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-November-01, 09:26

It's not my style, even at favorable in 3rd, but I give you credit for being within one trick of your bid, and for picking the right time to swing from the chandeliers.

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 10:09

Wouldn't consider passing at those colours. Let me guess - they raised on a balanced hand with support and this didn't end so well?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#6 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-November-01, 10:51

clear 2 opening if you are with a partner that you play with semi-regularly, otherwise I probably would anyway.
Become yourself.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 11:14

Clear 2s. If forced to psyche I would try 4h.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 11:17

I'd open 2. 3 if drunk.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 12:03

On the nige scale, 2 = 10, 1 = 9, 1/2nt = 8 and pass = drunk

Maybe thirth hand = drunk?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 18:30

View Posttrevahound, on 2014-November-01, 08:07, said:

What were they proposing instead? 2? 1 strong NT?

2 seems pretty normal in 3rd favorable. Tell the sewing circle to fan themselves and not swoon.

I think PASS is what most people would propose with this hand. Especially when you are playing with a p/u pd, reaction is predictable.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 20:31

It is somewhat scary but the opps look like heavy favorites to bid game
and even slam is in the picture. At these colors 2s is a fairly reasonable
preemptive effort. Remember that bridge is a partnership game and if your
partner really hates the idea it may be better to restrain that imagination
a hair and pass :) I would also be willing to guess you received a raise that
turned out badly:)

#12 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 21:26

I am drunk and I would pass.

As far as the comments about "o it probably went badly cuz your partner raised you..." well, yeah, if your partner does not know you open 2S on hands like this it's pretty stupid. What do you expect to happen? If you have talked with your partner and agreed to play a style where you open 2S on a hand like this good for you but to pull it on a random with no prior discussion is pretty lol to me. Your partner's probably gonna play you for 6 spades if they're a random on bbo!
The artist formerly known as jlall

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-01, 21:52

Not my style as the hand is far too flat and the spades are not good. Personally I think this is very poor. Typical of a pseudo expert who has not learned to think yet. So you want pd to lead the A from Ax for example?. Give me KQ to 5 and this is a clear opening.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   tabansz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-01, 22:58

I think the main drawback is that it is still a semi balanced hand. I would open 2SP with same points but 5-1-4-3 or 5-1-3-4 or with a 5-card minor.

#15 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-02, 02:29

It is my feeling some will open 2S a bit of a flyer and I kind of doubt it will bother my LHO much. Obviously not insane as they do have game some place (maybe even 4S:))and its a little difficult for them to double for penalty. You just have to hope partner keeps in mind 3rd seat can be suspect. Not my sort of style but not so hopeless.

#16 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-November-02, 02:42

View Postmcphee, on 2014-November-02, 02:29, said:

It is my feeling some will open 2S a bit of a flyer and I kind of doubt it will bother my LHO much. Obviously not insane as they do have game some place (maybe even 4S:))and its a little difficult for them to double for penalty. You just have to hope partner keeps in mind 3rd seat can be suspect. Not my sort of style but not so hopeless.

The problem is not 2S getting doubled for penalties, it is this auction: 2S-(4H)-4S-(5H)-P-(P)-5S-(X)-All Pass

Obviously this can be avoided if partner is aware that this is a possibility, but with random BBO pickups.. yeah.

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-02, 03:10

I don't think a 5S bid is a possibility, but 4S certainly could be. The hand won't do well.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-02, 04:54

Thanks all for the answers.
The bidding did go:
2-(DBL)-3-AP
It was a good score because opps had 4, it was not a very good score because some pairs did go down in 6.
Good opps would not have passed 3. So, still I wondered if it would be a good bid against good opps.

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-November-01, 21:26, said:

I am drunk and I would pass.

I believe you :)

As far as the comments about "o it probably went badly cuz your partner raised you..." well, yeah, if your partner does not know you open 2S on hands like this it's pretty stupid. What do you expect to happen? If you have talked with your partner and agreed to play a style where you open 2S on a hand like this good for you but to pull it on a random with no prior discussion is pretty lol to me. Your partner's probably gonna play you for 6 spades if they're a random on bbo!

What is the worst hand you open 2 with your regular partner NV vs V or NV vs NV in 3th hand?

#19 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-02, 05:18

Well sure, but no-one said this was a random. And this is indeed something I try to impress on my partners - 50% of my BBO card is 'rarely have my bid in third seat'.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-02, 06:05

View PostJinksy, on 2014-November-02, 05:18, said:

Well sure, but no-one said this was a random. And this is indeed something I try to impress on my partners - 50% of my BBO card is 'rarely have my bid in third seat'.

I tried to impress my pds too in my early years. I impressed them the most when I stopped trying to impress them. Ironic but it is true, at least for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users