BBO Discussion Forums: Automatically calculated playing level - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatically calculated playing level To get rid of fake experts and worldclass

#1 User is offline   jadoon 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-31, 23:44

Hi,

I am a junior player of 30 years of age, its been 3 or 4 years I am playing on bbo. For number of times I have come across experts and worldclass players who don't even know what bridge is and they burn my blood and I feel they keep on burning blood of every single bridge player on this bbo.

I would suggest bbo to calculate playing average of every individual on bbo and assign them their levels automatically, doing so we will get rid of so called experts and world classes and bbo will become a heaven for players and bridge lovers.

Please give it a thought and make it a reality :)

Thanks for reading patiently.

Usman Jadoon
Pakistan

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-01, 02:39

View Postjadoon, on 2014-October-31, 23:44, said:

Hi,

I am a junior player of 30 years of age, its been 3 or 4 years I am playing on bbo. For number of times I have come across experts and worldclass players who don't even know what bridge is and they burn my blood and I feel they keep on burning blood of every single bridge player on this bbo.

I would suggest bbo to calculate playing average of every individual on bbo and assign them their levels automatically, doing so we will get rid of so called experts and world classes and bbo will become a heaven for players and bridge lovers.

Please give it a thought and make it a reality :)

Thanks for reading patiently.

Usman Jadoon
Pakistan

Hi Jadoon,

There's a very long pinned thread in this forum dealing with ratings, various suggestions on how that could be implemented on BBO and the reason why it's not available as a feature.

You can read what was discussed over the years here:
http://www.bridgebas...rating-players/

#3 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-November-01, 09:21

In the meantime, you will do well to seek out the partners who self-rate as "advanced" :)

#4 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-01, 15:47

Which country the player is from can often help you know how much they may be exaggerating their ability.

Players from certain countries only tend to exaggerate their ability by one level where as with some others it's by two levels.

And then there are The Worst Countries, where they seem to think that Expert means that they have been playing at least a week, Advanced means three days and Intermediates have been playing since at least lunch time, with beginners having started after lunch and novices are those who are perceptive and/or honest enough to know that they haven't got a clue yet. Two flags in particular come into mind for these......?!

Then there's the question of gender - men on the whole seem more likely to exaggerate their abilities and by more.

So ideally avoid men from the Worst Countries in question!

#5 User is offline   ladydoc 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-November-29, 01:21

[Hi Jadoon,
It takes very little time to go to bboskill.com and check the stats of every player on BBO , except the stars.
I think players in North America rate themselves on how well they do at regionals and nationals, and the number of blue ribbon qualifications they have..... certainly that valuation should be authentic in determining if one is advanced or an expert.
The problem with bboskill.com is that the result may be skewed for those players who play randomly with just anybody and get lower scores than they should.
Now, this may be wrong, but its what I do....
I'm advanced both by blue ribbon qualifications and by bboskill.com..... however, I just love meeting new people and the joy of just playing and having fun and chatting about countries and life ..... I try to do my best at those times, BUT, I am not particular who I play with and and for those times I use another log in name and let that name take the rap. And honestly, its a lot of fun!

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-30, 17:08

I realize that bridge-playing demographics have been shifting a little, but is 30 years of age now considered a junior player?

#7 User is offline   bernix 

• Pip

Posted 2014-December-22, 08:29

the problem with bboskill.com is that it has stopped updating its database in july 2014

#8 User is offline   ladydoc 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-03, 13:49

I was asked by someone who was reading my post above why the potential new BBO'ers that I introduced to the site stopped playing here because of BBOskill.com.
I was very enthusiastic when I told them about BBO, and thought it would be good to play.... however, it turned out to be an embarrassment because playing with them, newbies who knew only basic conventions etc would certainly plummet my bboskill to a very low low!! (imagine being dropped in a cue bid)
Before the days of bboskill, we would have had a lot of fun playing and chatting.
Now I'm glad its gone and I hope to make reparations and apologies... it was my fault to mind.
Thank you BBO for no longer updating BBO skill!

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2015-January-03, 21:52

I know of one very good player - a 5 times National Rep including Venice Cup, who asked me to try and help her get a star. No one from BBO admin bothers to reply. She rates herself as Advanced, though she is at least of expert standard.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-04, 03:41

View Postthe hog, on 2015-January-03, 21:52, said:

I know of one very good player - a 5 times National Rep including Venice Cup, who asked me to try and help her get a star. No one from BBO admin bothers to reply. ...

Ahem, really?

#11 User is offline   jadoon 

• Pip

Posted 2015-August-11, 13:50

View Postdave251164, on 2014-November-01, 15:47, said:

Which country the player is from can often help you know how much they may be exaggerating their ability.

Players from certain countries only tend to exaggerate their ability by one level where as with some others it's by two levels.

And then there are The Worst Countries, where they seem to think that Expert means that they have been playing at least a week, Advanced means three days and Intermediates have been playing since at least lunch time, with beginners having started after lunch and novices are those who are perceptive and/or honest enough to know that they haven't got a clue yet. Two flags in particular come into mind for these......?!

Then there's the question of gender - men on the whole seem more likely to exaggerate their abilities and by more.

So ideally avoid men from the Worst Countries in question!

Hi Dave251164,

Thanks for your precious reply, you are damn right, and on bbo there are experts and experts everywhere lol

#12 User is offline   jadoon 

• Pip

Posted 2015-August-11, 13:52

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-November-30, 17:08, said:

I realize that bridge-playing demographics have been shifting a little, but is 30 years of age now considered a junior player?

Hi Bbradley62,

By saying Junior I meant my bridge playing level. Well if at age 30 if you can call me an expert or world class then it is another case :) though I would love to be :P

#13 User is offline   jadoon 

• Pip

Posted 2015-August-11, 13:55

View Postladydoc, on 2015-January-03, 13:49, said:

I was asked by someone who was reading my post above why the potential new BBO'ers that I introduced to the site stopped playing here because of BBOskill.com.
I was very enthusiastic when I told them about BBO, and thought it would be good to play.... however, it turned out to be an embarrassment because playing with them, newbies who knew only basic conventions etc would certainly plummet my bboskill to a very low low!! (imagine being dropped in a cue bid)
Before the days of bboskill, we would have had a lot of fun playing and chatting.
Now I'm glad its gone and I hope to make reparations and apologies... it was my fault to mind.
Thank you BBO for no longer updating BBO skill!

Hi Ladydoc,

Thank you very much for your precious reply, I posted that tread when I was so desperate to tell BBO to ban/block all those fake experts who neither don't know how to play bridge nor they have any ethics to how to talk to with a fellow bboer. But I have found so many beautiful people on BBO now, they are all loving and caring and always open to guide. I guess if you find right people on BBO then it is a paradise for you :), would love to play with you someday :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users