Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB bidding judgment improving?

#1 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-31, 17:05

Although we haven't heard from the programmers in a while, I have seen some evidence of GIB bidding better. Here's an example I couldn't ignore.

http://tinyurl.com/poo2b8s

In the past GIB really had to have the nuts to cue bid. If it did you were pretty safe in Blackwooding to slam. But on this hand GIB held a very modest collection, albeit with nothing wasted opposite the splinter, and still cuebid 4C on the second round. I did Blackwood into slam and reached the virtually cold 28 HCP with no long suits slam. I really have never seen GIB cue bid with a hand so low in HCP before - but good for it.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 17:34

If GIB is going to cuebid with that North hand, it shouldn't be explained as "12+ total points".

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-31, 18:24

Nice defence by E Gib (not!) trick 2 leads giving away the suit and the contract. Is only 50% without this play.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 18:37

I would still make easily on a H continuation. A D or trump shift does give me trouble due to the 4-1 S break. But it's always easy with 3-2 trumps so a great slam.

And you're right BB the descriptions definitely have NOT gotten any better.

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 00:04

Thanks for showing this. I admit I stopped splintering altogether a while ago, since GIB would just always sign off.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-November-01, 15:24

The release of GIB version 30 is now a dim and distant memory.

I have not seen an announcement of a subsequent release, although habitually these are announced. And just as well, because the user cannot interrogate the server for the version number of GIB at the time of playing (one of my regular complaints, and surely trivial to fix). It would also be nice to be able to identify the version of GIB used at other tables in an Instant tourney, although that is purely a point of curiosity.

So I am assuming that we are still on version 30, although my recollection (dim and distant, remember) is that when version 30 was announced (or shortly thereafter) there were also noises that version 31 was well on the way. Hmm.

But what I am getting to is, this: Is it possible for any aspects of GIB to "improve" between version issues? I had rather assumed not. But this thread title indicates an expectation that it might. Or maybe they just forgot to announce the release of version 31.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-November-02, 15:23

V30 was announced on June 5; since then, more than 30 threads have included Georgi saying "fixed in v31" or "fixed in next version" (most recently on Sept 9), but you are correct that there has been no announcement as to the implementation of v31.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users