Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Going to game ? Helpsuitbid

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-30, 21:39

With noone vulnerable Im dealer and pass with KQxxx AJxx xx xx, LHO open 1C and my partner bids 1D. RHO passes and I bid 1S which LHO doubles. My partner then bid 2S, RHO passes and as my partner can have 15 points I make a helpsuitbid of 3H. Opener pass and my partner bids 4S as he have King of Heart. Contract goes 2 down and I told him my bid not only asked for help in H but also for extra values since I was a passed hand. We cant agree on this so interesting to have a yes or no to the rise to 4S. His hand was J86 K9 KJ1092 QJ5 a total of 11points which I thought was too weak to go to game.

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-30, 22:11

Given you are a passed hand I think 3s by your pard was enough. Perhaps pard should pass 1s or redouble 1s?

OTOH if you were an unpassed hand then other issues arise such as what is the range of your 1s.

I guess 3s is still down.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-31, 03:02

Quite possibly, you should have passed 2. Quite likely, pard should have bid 3. You're a passed hand, so what was he thinking of?

#4 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2014-October-31, 04:05

Imo, you are blameless. Your partner's hand is an absolute minimum in so many ways. Just bidding 2 is marginal to say the least. Jumping to game over your 3 trial bid is ........ Unless you are romantically involved, I would advise finding a new partner.
Trixi

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 04:23

I don't think partner could have 15 points, with that he should have bid 2 instead of the simple raise. So I would have passed 2, which sounds more like an attempt to keep opps out of their hearts fit than as a constructive move.

That said, you are of course right that partner should not have accepted you game try. He has rubbish shape, likely wasted values in clubs, rubbish trumps and barely any extras. It's not an issue what your help suit trial asks for, think about what it shows: a maximum passed hand with some stuff in hearts. On the basis of that partner should know that 3 is plenty. If you had not been a passed hand it would have been less clear, since he could say that he does have a fitting heart honour and possibly a bit more strength than his overcall showed.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 07:33

Maybe I should not admit this but I am tempted to open the bidding 1. With both majors, I might actually do it at matchpoints or especially BAM.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-October-31, 13:43

Partner should bid 3 over your 3 .

Your hand has already passed so is less than an opener. Partner has a terrible 11 bad suit and only 1 QT. The hand is an 8-8 1/2 loser hand. Frankly, I wouldn't even consider overcalling 1 on that hand.

You were OK trying for game as partner could still an overcall that was just below a hand where you double and bid your suit. Partner might well hold something like Jxxx Kx AQJxx Kx, then 4 probably will be a make.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users