Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple Hand - not for me

#1 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-29, 13:31

I was South. West lead K and I ducked. He switched to 10 and I finessed, losing to K. A club return was ruffed and A cashed. Down 1.
Was I unlucky, or is there a better line of play?

Full hand
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-29, 14:41

If you place W with at least 5-5 in spades and diamonds for his bid, you can make I believe. What does ducking achieve? If club finesse is on you will make most of the time, even if E has 4 trumps which will place W with Kx club. If club finesse is off, which is very likely, then your only chance is to early endplay W by cashing 3 trumps and hoping that E can not take the 2nd dia trick. Of course I see 4 hands in spoiler, not sure if I would be in such a focus at the table.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 14:43

Nevermind, if W has Kx club and stiff heart you may need to play clubs rather than after 3 rounds of hearts,
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 15:19

This one is very tough, playing for west to have KQJ10 sounds a bit specific, although not impossible. I would also expect west to lead a club directly with singleton, so I would put all my eggs on Kx onside.

#5 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-30, 09:20

Actually I made two mistakes on this hand. After ducking a diamond I can no longer handle a 1-4 heart split (East will ruff 4th club and return a spade) so I must assume 10 is singleton and play for the long-shot endplay which works when West has KQJ10!

MrAce is correct that diamond duck was pointless. I should rise with A and play three rounds of trumps ending in hand. When trumps prove to be 2-3, I know West has at most a singleton club, and should try the endplay which luckily works. If trumps are 1-4 then I can hope for doubleton K onside, pitching diamond on 4th club as East ruffs.

#6 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2014-October-31, 05:05

Why did your partner bid only 2? Did partner think you were a bad dummy player with the 2 bid and then revise his/her opinion a moment later with the 4 bid.

Your line of play seems OK. You have too many losers if the hook is off since failure to see a lead or continuation marks the ace as being offside. Ducking the was OK since RHO is the dangerous hand. The longshot endplay (which works) is very low percentage, to put it mildly.
Trixi

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 05:54

View Postwynsten, on 2014-October-30, 09:20, said:

MrAce is correct that diamond duck was pointless. I should rise with A and play three rounds of trumps ending in hand. When trumps prove to be 2-3, I know West has at most a singleton club, and should try the endplay which luckily works. If trumps are 1-4 then I can hope for doubleton K onside, pitching diamond on 4th club as East ruffs.

It's a phantom endplay. West simply exits with a diamond. Sure, you can discard a spade from dummy and ruff in hand, but you have nothing resembling ten tricks.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 07:18

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-October-31, 05:54, said:

It's a phantom endplay. West simply exits with a diamond. Sure, you can discard a spade from dummy and ruff in hand, but you have nothing resembling ten tricks.

With 10 singleton as in the spoiler, don't I have five hearts, one diamond and four clubs?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 08:03

View Postgnasher, on 2014-October-31, 07:18, said:

With 10 singleton as in the spoiler, don't I have five hearts, one diamond and four clubs?

Missed the ten.

#10 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 12:04

View Postbeatrix45, on 2014-October-31, 05:05, said:

Why did your partner bid only 2? Did partner think you were a bad dummy player with the 2 bid and then revise his/her opinion a moment later with the 4 bid.

Your line of play seems OK. You have too many losers if the hook is off since failure to see a lead or continuation marks the ace as being offside. Ducking the was OK since RHO is the dangerous hand. The longshot endplay (which works) is very low percentage, to put it mildly.

All four players were "advanced" which on BBO is synonymous with "not very strong". That explains my partner's bidding. And West's failure to lead his singleton at trick 1. By the way, if he HAD led his singleton 10, what is the best line of play?

You're right that East is a dangerous hand; that was my thinking too when I ducked the diamond. But we're wrong and MrAce is right. There is no way West can gain the lead so no point in snipping their communications. And West is a dangerous hand too (he can lead clubs and make me decide how to tackle them before I get a count on the hand). So I should rise with A and find out how hearts split; then make the right play in clubs as I explained above. Yes the endplay is a longshot but when you have eliminated the impossible you're stuck with the improbable.

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-31, 12:21

After seeing the spoiler the endplay line makes a lot of sense... Not so easy to figure it all out before, though :)

#12 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2014-November-02, 20:02

View Postwynsten, on 2014-October-31, 12:04, said:

All four players were "advanced" which on BBO is synonymous with "not very strong". That explains my partner's bidding. And West's failure to lead his singleton at trick 1. By the way, if he HAD led his singleton 10, what is the best line of play?

You're right that East is a dangerous hand; that was my thinking too when I ducked the diamond. But we're wrong and MrAce is right. There is no way West can gain the lead so no point in snipping their communications. And West is a dangerous hand too (he can lead clubs and make me decide how to tackle them before I get a count on the hand). So I should rise with A and find out how hearts split; then make the right play in clubs as I explained above. Yes the endplay is a longshot but when you have eliminated the impossible you're stuck with the improbable.

U and MrAce R correct about ducking the . Leading a stiff with a small doubleton trump as opposed to a from KQJ or KQ10 on this auction where partner is marked with zilch deserves an error charge, imo.
Trixi

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users