BBO Discussion Forums: Just checking - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just checking

#1 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-October-28, 16:22

Teams. Do you double or overcall 2?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#2 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-October-28, 17:06

2 for me. You can't really handle a response to a T/O Double. It's not quite enough for Double and bid overcall.

No matter what your methods, you may still be able to check for a fit later in the auction with a 2 bid. However, if you double and partner bids , you'll probably lose one of your suits because of the level of the subsequent auction.

If the opponents preempt strongly in , you may lose a fit. It's just the breaks. Sometimes you can't do everything.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-28, 17:43

double, will pass 2d by pard. gets this hand off my chest with one bid as pard is a passed hand. Also prefer to have a bit better suit to overcall 2c vul across from a passed hand.

All the more so if we don't play a weak 2d opening which many do not.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-October-28, 18:07

View PostWackojack, on 2014-October-28, 16:22, said:

Teams. Do you double or overcall 2?
IMO Double = 10, 2 = 9, 2 (Michaels) = 8.

#5 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 02:02

Double, for the same reasons as mike777. I think nige1 has seriously generous with his score for 2 on such a poor suit.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 02:09

2 here.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 03:19

View Postpaulg, on 2014-October-29, 02:02, said:

Double, for the same reasons as mike777. I think nige1 has seriously generous with his score for 2 on such a poor suit.

2, for the same reasons as rmnka447. I think nigel was serious generous with his score for 2 on such poor shape.

#8 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 04:00

Double for me as well.

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 04:02

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-October-29, 03:19, said:

I think nigel was serious generous with his score for 2 on such poor shape.

Not only that, but I wonder where in the world a 2D overcall of 1S is Michaels?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 04:04

I'd double because I think it's the most likely route to a sensible game, and we're playing IMPs. I'll pass a response of 2D.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#11 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-October-29, 04:44

I was west and we missed a good vulnerable game contract. As you see I doubled thinking it obvious. However, one ex partner I gave the hand to criticised my initial double and gave more or less the same reasons as rmn447 for preferring an overcall of 2. I disagreed.

Nevertheless we didn't get to 4. The problem with my 3 bid is that it suggests that I am merely competing and not inviting and a second double suggests a 3 card heart suit and the minors suits. A team member suggested that if I double and then convert my partners minor suit bid (assuming she does not jump) to 3 this becomes a 4 card invite to 4. This seeems like a good idea. Any comments on this?

#12 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:00

PS Nigel is always overgenerous with his alternatives :P

#13 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:06

View PostWackojack, on 2014-October-29, 04:44, said:

A team member suggested that if I double and then convert my partners minor suit bid (assuming she does not jump) to 3 this becomes a 4 card invite to 4. This seeems like a good idea. Any comments on this?

that's bollocks. your hand isn't strong enough. partner will often float the double.

#14 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:28

View PostWackojack, on 2014-October-29, 04:44, said:

Nevertheless we didn't get to 4. The problem with my 3 bid is that it suggests that I am merely competing and not inviting and a second double suggests a 3 card heart suit and the minors suits. A team member suggested that if I double and then convert my partners minor suit bid (assuming she does not jump) to 3 this becomes a 4 card invite to 4. This seeems like a good idea. Any comments on this?

Your three hearts is competing opposite a hand something like 0-9 HCP with four hearts, so partner might consider bidding on. However it looks an awful vulnerable game on three rounds of spades. You should tell your team mates that they are not allowed to smoke in a bridge club (because they are clearly smoking something).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#15 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:34

View Postpaulg, on 2014-October-29, 05:28, said:

Your three hearts is competing opposite a hand something like 0-9 HCP with four hearts, so partner might consider bidding on. However it looks an awful vulnerable game on three rounds of spades. You should tell your team mates that they are not allowed to smoke in a bridge club (because they are clearly smoking something).

Awful is an overbid. It is on 3-2 hearts and a reasonable break in clubs (with no immediate club ruff).

#16 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:50

View PostArtK78, on 2014-October-29, 05:34, said:

Awful is an overbid. It is on 3-2 hearts and a reasonable break in clubs (with no immediate club ruff).

Presuming that the opener has six spades for the 2 rebid, which trump are you going to ruff the third round with?
The Beer Card

#17 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:52

View PostArtK78, on 2014-October-29, 05:34, said:

It's probably off on three rounds of spades. You might guess to ruff high and play South for a stiff honour in hearts.

#18 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 06:15

As it may be your only chance to show H I would double and pass 2D. H is the most likely game chance which is why I double, not that game is great looking.

#19 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-October-29, 08:04

View Postpaulg, on 2014-October-29, 05:50, said:

Presuming that the opener has six spades for the 2 rebid, which trump are you going to ruff the third round with?

Didn't consider the bidding. That is what comes of positng so early in the morning.

#20 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 09:43

View Postpaulg, on 2014-October-29, 05:28, said:

The 4 hands were:

1. I don't think Tim and Lorne the other pair in the team smoke.

2. To be fair Lorne was commenting on my initial comments to my partner which were:
"This time 4♥ is a very good contract. After South rebids 2♠, my choices are 3♥, 4♥ or double.
4♥ is clearly wrong since you might have zero points. 3♥? Would I bid 3♥ on a weaker hand just to compete? Say I take away the Q♣. I might still bid 3♥ and now 4♥ is quite a poor contract. So what would double by me mean now? Still for take-out I think but probably telling you that I only have 3 card ♥ support and the minor suits. So I don’t think double is appropriate. So I think 3♥ was the best bid. Should you bid 4♥ now on your crap 4333 8 count? To me that looks very pushy. So maybe we just have to accept that we cannot bid game here with any confidence."

He suggested that on my hand double followed by 3was better.

3. I just wanted to know if a 2nd double ostensibly showing 3 card heart support and the minors followed by 3 over partner's 3m then showing an invite in hearts was a good understanding.

4. South made a bid that many would make with 5 spades only so we did miss a good 4contract and I hate missing good games at teams. And that is why I posted.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users