BBO Discussion Forums: How many Hearts - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many Hearts 2/1 ACBL

Poll: How many Hearts (29 member(s) have cast votes)

How many Hearts

1. 1 Heart (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

2. 2 hearts (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

3. 3 hearts (11 votes [37.93%])

Percentage of vote: 37.93%

4. 4 hearts (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

5. something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-28, 14:57

Your Bid
and why

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-28, 15:43

Because I think I can make 4, and I don't think I can make six unless partner has significant extras.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-October-28, 16:53

4 . Shows long s and not much else. Here you know you're on at least a 10 or possibly an 11 card fit if partner has a run of the mill T/O double. It's mostly a LOTT bid. You can't be absolutely sure 4 will make, but it shouldn't be off much if anything.

If partner has a big overcall (i.e. 16+ value) or better hand, but not many s, partner's high cards will be useful at a contract. Conversely, your s may be of no value at all when playing in partner's best suit if that's the case.

If you have values and long , you can cue 2 and then bid . So, partner knows your hand is limited

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-October-28, 18:15

View Postdickiegera, on 2014-October-28, 14:57, said:

Your Bid and why
IMO 2 = 10, 1 = 8, 3 = 7, 4 = 6. Partly style. Tempting to bid 4 but that might get you overboard.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 00:17

Well, since way back in the covered wagon days, I have thought that hand is the prototype 3H advance to a t/o double of 1m. The references above to a cue-bid then 4H being the strong hand and a direct 4H being weak apply to a Double of 1, not 1m.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 03:29

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 04:02

2 because you have so little values and South has passed so its more likely that East has a strong hand that may not support hearts. Do you want to miss 6 or possible 6.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:14

View Postcloa513, on 2014-October-29, 04:02, said:

2 because you have so little values and South has passed so its more likely that East has a strong hand that may not support hearts. Do you want to miss 6 or possible 6.

Speculating in advance about the nature of partner's takeout double, and then misdescribing your hand because of that speculation, will not be useful if partner does in fact have the strong one. But, if you make the textbook reply to her double, she might be smart enough to use that information.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 08:51

What's with the 2 bids? Last I checked it showed constructive values when PARTNER doubles and weak when they double.

I don't know yet whether the goods are with lho or partner and if they back into something that partner hits it would be nice to give him a clue about my hand. 4 has merit but risks an unnecessary minus score so 3 seems about right to bring partner into the picture.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-October-29, 09:09

View PostMrAce, on 2014-October-29, 03:29, said:

Yes as 2 shows values, and 3 is preemptive, and 4 is a guess. Our 3 bid doesn't prevent PD from carrying on to game with the big hand he has.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 14:27

View Postneilkaz, on 2014-October-29, 09:09, said:

Yes as 2 shows values, and 3 is preemptive, and 4 is a guess. Our 3 bid doesn't prevent PD from carrying on to game with the big hand he has.

People do not realize that they found 21 hcp + AKx with pd and yet 4 is not cold if we exclude the fact that N opened which makes it cold. Pd can double also with hands that has short hearts. Jumping to 4 is way too much when we have 3 which is preemptive for the majority of good players (I am aware that some play it as equivalent of 2 which has 5 hearts while 2 would show exactly 4)
On this particular hand, the pass by our RHO suggests that pd has a huge hand, which increases the chances of him not holding a hand necessarily ready for all 3 unbid suits. You need to give him some space to tell his tales. 3 achieves to tell your hand, hearts and strength accurately and leaves some space for pd. After all, if pd has a giant diamond hand, or spades, our hand can tolerate playing these suits combined with pd's hand which was too strong to start overcall (which is popularly up to 18 hcps nowadays)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-29, 18:38

1. I'm gambling on this not being passed out. Next round (hopefully there will be one) I'll bid 4, showing my shape/strength accurately.

Bidding 2/3/4 (which I learned to be strong bids) might get partner over-excited, something that is very possible given he's a favourite to have one of those GOSH doubles.

#13 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-30, 00:54

Just go for 4. Since partner made a takeout double, you can assume 3+. With a 10-card suit not vul, I almost always like to go for a bid no lower than level 4, since there are 2 possibilities:

1. You have a decent number of points and can make it.
2. You barely have any points but then the other team could have made a big bid if you let them, so they still probably rarely get very many more points out of it than if you let them bid.

And with your hand, I wouldn't worry much about missing slam by bidding 4 because you'd need a monster hand from partner to make it, and if he/she has such a hand, he/she could bid again anyway.

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-30, 01:20

View PostAyunuS, on 2014-October-30, 00:54, said:

And with your hand, I wouldn't worry much about missing slam by bidding 4 because you'd need a monster hand from partner to make it, and if he/she has such a hand, he/she could bid again anyway.

The point is that partner with a monster should have knowledge to work from when he/she is deciding to bid again over 4H; and it would help him/her in making that decision if we hadn't bid 4H with a 3H bid -- however you define those two advances.

#15 User is offline   boosterbbh 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-30, 01:53

3❤️
If partner has a weak rod he has support for either a game or a sacrifice bid if opps have game.
If he has a great hand with the AK in ❤️ A slam might be even possible, but in order to find it we might need the bidding space.
Don't make the decision for ur partner, for u don't really know what he has.

#16 User is offline   boosterbbh 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-30, 01:53

3❤️
If partner has a weak rod he has support for either a game or a sacrifice bid if opps have game.
If he has a great hand with the AK in ❤️ A slam might be even possible, but in order to find it we might need the bidding space.
Don't make the decision for ur partner, for u don't really know what he has.

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-30, 02:09

Y3H seems right to me. Seriously though, 2H is too funny for words and this is in the Intermediate/Av forum. I think a few posters are off with the knuckalaveys here. 4H is better than 2. Blaming a totally silly bid on"a matter of style" is a cop out. 3H is just "Bridge".
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-30, 06:22

Well, some play 3 as some sort of weak bid, others play it as highly invitational (but not forcing). Maybe that's where the problem is.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-30, 07:45

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-October-30, 06:22, said:

Well, some play 3 as some sort of weak bid, others play it as highly invitational (but not forcing). Maybe that's where the problem is.

Yes. There does seem to be that confusion between two different aspects of the takeout double scenario.

(1m) X (P) 1H
(P) 3H.....3H by the takeout doubler has long been considered to be highly invitational upon the advancer who has a zero to 7-8 range ("Any redeeming feature, pard?").

But, we don't treat the immediate jump advances in the same manner. A Double jump to 3M over partner's double is just a crap 7- bagger like shown in the OP.

#20 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2014-October-30, 10:43

IMO, any bid but 3!h, preemptive, is double dummy. it is the most descriptive of your hand and if pd cannot bid again game is unlikely.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users