Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you open?

#1 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-28, 10:02

Sorry - the hand editor has a few shortcomings when you omit the auction. E is dealer and NS are vulnerable. ACBL club game. Much discussion was generated after the hand. My own view - trying to ignore what the others have - is to open 1. I have a general rule to avoid 2 openers when there's a chance we could play in , since the contract will now likely be wrong-sided. The other concern I have is that I have no rebid, assuming a 2 response. Those I polled opened all over the map - 2 winding up in 5 twice, 2 winding up in 3 NT twice (down 2 - at least NS were smart enough to lead and unblock, and 6 twice, by the somewhat aggressive 1 - 3 - 6 route. This was the top. There were a few other oddities, based in large measure on inexperience or miscommunication - 3X by N - off 3, and 4 by E off 3.

What do you think? One participant was concerned that her 1 opening could be passed out, missing a game. My response was, what game did you miss? If W were completely broke, N would likely balance, and as was seen, EW can defend well against a contract.

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-29, 02:28

I show 23 balanced, won't work always.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-30, 12:46

This is a difficult hand, not fit for standard systems.

I would just open it 2 and cross my fingers. Plan is:

2 2: now 3, hoping to bid 3NT over pard's expected spade bid.
2 2: now 2NT. If pard rebids a minor, fine. Else 3NT.
2 2NT: now 3NT. With trepidation.

Other responses I think I can handle them no prob.

#4 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-30, 13:16

It's really tempting to go full blown Canadian and open 1D with this hand. Showing 23 bal feels really awful with this specific 4441. Opening 1D feels really awful to me also as I am not actually Canadian. Pick your poison I guess.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-30, 13:45

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-October-30, 13:16, said:

It's really tempting to go full blown Canadian and open 1D with this hand. Showing 23 bal feels really awful with this specific 4441. Opening 1D feels really awful to me also as I am not actually Canadian. Pick your poison I guess.

I learned to play bridge in Michigan. I guess that is close enough to Canada for me to open this 1.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-October-30, 14:28

very interesting hand. As others have mentioned you can open 1d or 2c.

If you open 2c and assuming 2d response as art and gf(random A or K) then possible rebids may include:

2nt
3d
or perhaps even a jump to 3h as 4h and 5+d and 3 loser hand.

All have flaws but as stated most of us don't have a system bid here as this hand type is so rare.

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-30, 14:52

Don't like 2-2-3 uses up huge amount of space and still miss potential fit and possibly fit.

Going 2 route would rebid 2 over 2. Is admittedly ugly as this is your worst 4-card suit but at least you'll find 4-4.

Personally, lacking a 4441 tool I would open 1 didn't know it was a Canadian thing.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-October-30, 14:58

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-October-30, 14:52, said:

Don't like 2-2-3 uses up huge amount of space and still miss potential fit and possibly fit.

Going 2 route would rebid 2 over 2. Is admittedly ugly as this is your worst 4-card suit but at least you'll find 4-4.

Personally, lacking a 4441 tool I would open 1 didn't know it was a Canadian thing.

Perhaps, I would be concerned about finding a 4-3h or even a 4-2h fit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users