BBO Discussion Forums: New suit or support? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New suit or support?

Poll: New suit or support? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support straight away, or bid 1S first

1. 1S (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. 2H (28 votes [75.68%])

Percentage of vote: 75.68%

3. 1NT (intending to follow up with 2H) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (pls elaborate) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-October-28, 14:34

View Postjohnu, on 2014-October-28, 14:28, said:

Playing Blue Team Club which is 4 card majors and canape, I would respond 1.

Talk about a hijack.

OK - following up on the hijack. Playing Blue Team Club, why wouldn't you pass? Are you concerned that partner might have a strong Canape into a black suit? Or (and this is a reason for passing), wouldn't you be concerned that partner has a strong Canape into diamonds? Or, more likely and even worse, a weak Canape into diamonds?

#22 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-28, 15:57

I voted for 1 initially, but the arguments for 1 persuaded me.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#23 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-28, 16:50

View PostArtK78, on 2014-October-28, 14:34, said:

Talk about a hijack.

OK - following up on the hijack. Playing Blue Team Club, why wouldn't you pass? Are you concerned that partner might have a strong Canape into a black suit? Or (and this is a reason for passing), wouldn't you be concerned that partner has a strong Canape into diamonds? Or, more likely and even worse, a weak Canape into diamonds?

Well, the original problem did not specify what system they were playing, so it could be 4 or 5 card majors. I have found that to have been important information on at least 1 other occasion.

Of course, playing BTC, opener could have a 5, 6, or longer heart suit and up to 16 HCP, so game in hearts is a possibility. And if opener had a reverse into spades or clubs, you would miss game by passing. If this is a partscore hand, you make it easier for opponents to balance, plus partner would never expect you to pass with a solid responding hand and may misjudge the auction later. Other than that, pass would be at the top of my list.

As far as your worst case 2 rebid goes, you have an easy 2 bid and can play a Moysian fit if partner only has 4 hearts. Maybe this won't be an optimal contract but that happens when playing 4 card majors and canape. I also play reverse Flannery, so partner will usualy raise to 2 holding 3.

#24 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 03:28

Continuing the BTC thread hijack, one normally responds with 8+ and passes with less (and lets not get into further discussion of whether that is a good strategy or not). However, this 7 count has an ace, the clubs honours are working together, plenty of good spot cards and at least a partial fit for hearts (and BTC is only a "possible" canapé system, more often than not the suit opened is actually partner's best suit). So I would respond rather than pass. And, in that system, 1 leaves partner the most room, rather than rush into the possible moysian.

In Acol you would definitely respond but similar arguments apply to what to respond.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#25 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:33

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-October-28, 12:34, said:

Apologies accepted, no hard feelings. By the way, I usually post under "interesting bridge hands" because I don't quite understand the current forum structure. Perhaps the hand would be better off in intermediate/adv discussion.

One of my all-time favorites was Echognome's question about the proposal to merge "interesting bridge hands" with "expert/advanced": Where can experts post uninteresting hands? :)

But idd, this hand is more interesting if you play four card majors. Anyway, it illustrates an important principle.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#26 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 05:55

It is clearly best to raise H and show what you have. Maybe partner can make a game try, bid game, splinter, who knows, but partners like it when you raise,

#27 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 07:22

It is indeed possible for spades to be a better contract than hearts and there
are other times where we would always want to bid spades before hearts for possible
slam purposes (AKQxx Axxx xx xx). The problem (pointed out above) is that there are
far too many follow up sequences where your heart support becomes "muddled" and the
result will be far too may missed game opportunities because opener cannot tell the
difference between a simple preference Kxxx xx Kxxxx xx and the hand shown. 1h 1s 2c 2h.

#28 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-October-29, 08:13

View Postjogs, on 2014-October-28, 13:02, said:

Don't feel alone. I would also bid 1, followed by 3. 3 hearts with a singleton opposite a known 5 card heart suit makes many tricks.

Your opponents never lead trumps?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#29 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 09:09

One of the arguments for 2 is to find a safe spot early and 1 to get to the best game.

I'm a 1 bidder followed by a heart bid which may indeed only be a preference but if partner sneezes over that I'm bidding the right game, get to clarify the heart support should they compete up to 3 and get the right opening lead if they go any further.

If partner passes my 2 "preference" we are in the same safe spot.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#30 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-29, 12:03

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-October-28, 12:34, said:

Apologies accepted, no hard feelings. By the way, I usually post under "interesting bridge hands" because I don't quite understand the current forum structure. Perhaps the hand would be better off in intermediate/advnatural bidding discussion.

Yes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#31 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-October-29, 14:50

I don't understand the comments about a 1 bid being the best bid to get to the best game. This assumes an idiot for a partner.

If your style is to raise hearts with 5/3, then won't partner know this? If partner has, say, 4/5, is he incapable of introducing spades simply because you have a heart fit?

I have numerous auctions that go like this:

1-P-2-P-

2-P-4

Or, something like that. What is so tricky about that?

If the thought is to get to the best partscore, that might be a different matter. 2 or 3 might be better than 2 or 3. However, when you have an 8-fit in hearts and a 9-fit in spades (when it matters), the opponents have a whole lot of minor cards and usually bid something exotic. If you manage to get past RHO, LHO is often lurking. 1-P-2-2NT is a lot easier to handle than 1-P-1-2NT, especially when there is no actual spade fit, Still, the issue cannot logically be "best game," but it might be "best partscore."

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#32 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 14:55

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-October-29, 14:50, said:

I don't understand the comments about a 1 bid being the best bid to get to the best game. This assumes an idiot for a partner.

Yes. And, your point is?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#33 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-October-29, 16:58

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-29, 14:55, said:

Yes. And, your point is?

Fair point. And, if the assumption is fairly reliable, 1S has the advantage of right siding the contract!
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#34 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-29, 17:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-October-29, 05:33, said:

But idd, this hand is more interesting if you play four card majors. Anyway, it illustrates an important principle.

Too bad the OP did not give us any information about the system being played. Since one of the options was 1NT, with apparently no expectation of getting the dummy, 1NT seems to be forcing. Does this show spades, are single raises constructive, are major openings 5 cards? I suppose we are meant to guess.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#35 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-29, 18:23

System is default: 5 card majors.

The 1NT option probably shouldn't be there, but doesn't matter because no one chose it :)

By the way, for all its worth, I have no special preference for a bid. 1 strikes gold if pard has 4 spades, whereas 2 might help of opps butt-in (although the hand can probably take the push to the 3 level if you bid spades first).

#36 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-29, 19:31

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-October-29, 18:23, said:

Default where you live, I guess, but not everyone lives there.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#37 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-October-29, 19:59

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-October-29, 18:23, said:

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-29, 19:31, said:

Default where you live, I guess, but not everyone lives there.
Should this poll be in interesting bridge hands? or natural bidding? or even non-natural bidding if the default system is 2/1? :)

#38 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-29, 21:20

View Postnige1, on 2014-October-29, 19:59, said:

Should this poll be in interesting bridge hands? or natural bidding? or even in non-natural bidding if the default system is 2/1? :)

Actually, I have been wondering (seriously) whether one of the new forums should be called "2/1GF bidding".

#39 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-30, 01:03

I will support. If pd bids 2m a 2H bid will sound like simple preference rather than real support.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#40 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-October-30, 04:23

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-29, 17:14, said:

Too bad the OP did not give us any information about the system being played. Since one of the options was 1NT, with apparently no expectation of getting the dummy, 1NT seems to be forcing. Does this show spades, are single raises constructive, are major openings 5 cards? I suppose we are meant to guess.

It is probably fair to assume some kind of wide-ranging 5cM, 1nt=15-17, if nothing else is stated. But yes it is relevant here how the single raise is played. I don't think it matters whether 1NT is forcing or not since the choice is between 1 and 2. We would have been told if we were playing Flannery, by the way.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users