• You cannot reply to this topic

Nevertheless

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-27, 15:21

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

I know that reports of the robot's problem with the suit (and specifically its propensity for introducing 3-card suits at high levels) fall on deaf ears. Nevertheless, I will continue to report them in the hope that someone at some level will recognize that this silliness undermines BBO's credibility and direct that action be taken to address it. Another great result for those with the foresight to pass out an opening bid in 4th seat. I wonder how often that decision would get a good result in a live tournament where the North seats weren't all filled with fetishists.

Before you suggest that I should have bid 3NT or something else, please note that the last time I tried to get off the hook in a similar situation, I ended up playing 6 when I could have just taken my medicine in 4 (a 4-1 fit, the opponents having bid and rebid s.)

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-27, 16:06

LOL :lol: First GIB passes out 1NT, then jumps to 3 when 2 was possible. Obviously GIB has a virus and isn't feeling well. Get better GIB.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-27, 16:13

But you've gotta love the description of the 3 bid:

2-6; 2-6; 4-5; 4-5; 10- HCP; 12+ total points; forcing

So, at least 2+2+4+4=12 "known" cards, and maybe as many as 4 more of either minor. How did North promise any cards in the minors, by passing 1NT?

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-27, 16:37

Descriptions aside, North may have felt that as South had denied a 4 card Spade suit with the 1N rebid, there is no possibility of Spades being a preferred trump strain, so North can jump about in Spades just to show values.

/sarcasm-off

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-27, 16:41

Is Gib stupid?! 2. Gib has already decided hand not worth an INV so why suddenly essentially force to game?

play in the almost sure 5-2 (maybe even 5-3) not the probably at best 3-3 and can only be 4-3 if p bypassed a 4-card suit to bid 1N
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-27, 16:45

North upgraded his hand in light of East's 2D bid :)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users