BBO Discussion Forums: Reopening DOubles - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reopening DOubles Do Robots Understand Them?

#1 User is offline   bobango 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-27, 12:18

At IMPS last night (Game # 2980, board five), my robot partner opens 1 D and after a Pass, I bid 1H. It goes 3 Clubs by my LHO, Pass, 4 clubs by RHO.

My hand is xxxx AKQx Qxxx A. So I doubled to reopen the bidding. I can't imagine what else I would bid. Any way, it was passed out. The robot opps made 4 clubs doubled, while we are cold for 5 hearts or diamonds. My partner, the north robot, held Jx Jxxx Akxxx Kx. I fail to understand how anyone could leave my double in with that hand. However, the "anyone" is a robot. So, what's the thinking here?

bobango

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-27, 12:39

Here is your hand:

One of the basic things to know about robot tournaments is that you have an opportunity to check on the meanings of your bids before committing to them, by hovering your mouse over the bid before clicking on it.

The explained meanings do not always correspond to the way that GIB actually interprets them, but most of the time it is pretty close.

On this occasion, for example, had you performed this exercise before doubling, you would have observed that your GIB partner is going to interpret your double as showing, among other things, "biddable Clubs" (where you have a singleton) and a maximum of 2 Diamonds (where you have 4).

Now you may personally opine that this is an absurd meaning to ascribe to the double. I pass no comment on that. However you are on a hiding to nothing if you proceed by doubling on the basis of your belief in what the call should mean, flying in the face of your being on notice of the way in which it will actually be interpreted, however absurd.

No-one at the tourney tried it, but I suggest that 4D is probably the bid expected by GIB on these cards. No fewer than 3 players chose 4S (go figure) and landed on their feet!

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users