BBO Discussion Forums: Lead thought to be out of turn - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead thought to be out of turn Anywhere

#1 User is offline   Xiaolongnu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats, playing and directing bridge, MSN, strategy games, fantasy RPGs, shooting games, adventure games, mathematics, google.

Posted 2014-October-27, 00:49

South is declarer after bidding ends. West leads. South is declarer but thought she was dummy and started revealing her hand. She revealed a few cards. How to proceed?

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-27, 01:58

View PostXiaolongnu, on 2014-October-27, 00:49, said:

South is declarer after bidding ends. West leads. South is declarer but thought she was dummy and started revealing her hand. She revealed a few cards. How to proceed?

You apply Law 48:

Law 48 - EXPOSURE OF DECLARER’S CARDS said:

A. Declarer Exposes a Card

Declarer is not subject to restriction for exposing a card (but see Law 45C2), and no card of declarer’s or dummy’s hand ever becomes a penalty card. Declarer is not required to play any card dropped accidentally.

B. Declarer Faces Cards

1. When declarer faces his cards after an opening lead out of turn, Law 54 applies.

2. When declarer faces his cards at any time other than immediately after an opening lead out of turn, he may be deemed to have made a claim or concession of tricks (unless he demonstrably did not intend to claim), and Law 68 then applies.

so once South becomes aware of her mistake she simply restores the revealed cards back to her hand, and play continues without any restriction or rectification.
The information that declarer holds the cards revealed in this way is authorized to both defenders.

#3 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-27, 12:04

No, Law 54A says:

After a faced opening lead out of turn, declarer may spread his hand; he becomes dummy. If declarer begins to spread his hand, and in doing so exposes one or more cards, he must spread his entire hand. Dummy becomes declarer.

[edit] Actually I now see that OP doesn't actually say West led face up; if the lead was face down, ignore me.

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-27, 12:57

View Postcampboy, on 2014-October-27, 12:04, said:

[edit] Actually I now see that OP doesn't actually say West led face up; if the lead was face down, ignore me.

Actually what you have missed is that the lead wasn't out of turn!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-27, 13:41

View Postpran, on 2014-October-27, 01:58, said:

You apply Law 48:

so once South becomes aware of her mistake she simply restores the revealed cards back to her hand, and play continues without any restriction or rectification.
The information that declarer holds the cards revealed in this way is authorized to both defenders.

Yes. I directed a club game when this happened and declarer revealed their entire hand. Picked them up, played on and got a top board when the opps mis-defended.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   Xiaolongnu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats, playing and directing bridge, MSN, strategy games, fantasy RPGs, shooting games, adventure games, mathematics, google.

Posted 2014-October-31, 00:13

Yeah that is what I thought. Thanks everyone. Yes my whole point was whether there was even any irregularity in the sense of needing rectification since the beginning.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users