BBO Discussion Forums: Oops - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oops Blame?

Poll: Oops (40 member(s) have cast votes)

ATB

1. West Should not pass the double (33 votes [82.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.50%

2. East Should pass it out (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. East should balance with something else (1 votes [2.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

4. Both to blame (2 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

5. Bad Luck (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Something Else (4 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-October-26, 05:00

Imps on BBO partner is advanced opps are randoms

disaster when 2HX =

I think I'm to blame on this but just checking really
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-26, 05:20

The auction is obvious up to and including the double. West has a slightly awkward call, but I don't like the practice of passing out partner's partscore doubles to squeak it one off, so I think I'd bid 3C with the west hand (2NT also reasonable). I guess it's also kind of unlucky that there aren't 6 tricks here.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-26, 05:24

View Posteagles123, on 2014-October-26, 05:00, said:

I think I'm to blame on this but just checking really

If you were W, then yes Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-26, 05:32

Don't object to this at MPs, but at IMPs is just too dangerous to pass it out as W.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-26, 05:44

How can one blame E anyway? It is perfectly normal double with prime hcps. If the argument is E should have more, which I strongly disagree btw, put Q to E hand, I doubt the score would change.

When E doubles, he is expressing shortness in suit, which then W knows opponents have 8-9 card fit and at 2 level. You don't need to ask this to forums. We all gamble now and then, perhaps W wanted some action/adventure. All he needs to say is "Sorry pd" Saying this makes him get credit for being aware of his mistake. Because if W thinks E is at fault, this is bad because then E has a lot of work to do with this pd.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-26, 06:36

Think W should pull. Opps are at their right level and you have no trump stack. Plus, East could easily have a singleton heart.

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-26, 07:18

West should open 1D to facilitate an easy rebid. However that is not the issue here. Regardless, passing the double is the height of absurdity. To even suggest that this is a possibility at MPs is also laughable. West 100 percent.If West does open 1C, he now has a 2NT bid asking East to pick a minor.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-October-26, 08:04

View Postthe hog, on 2014-October-26, 07:18, said:

West should open 1D to facilitate an easy rebid. However that is not the issue here. Regardless, passing the double is the height of absurdity. To even suggest that this is a possibility at MPs is also laughable. West 100 percent.If West does open 1C, he now has a 2NT bid asking East to pick a minor.

I'd suggest 200 at MPs is about as likely as -670, partner doesn't have to have 3 clubs for example, and even as is, 6 tricks (2 clubs, 1 diamond (on a really good day 2), 2 spades and a heart) are by no means impossible. Unthinkable at IMPs, but not completely ridiculous at MPs.

Opening 1 on this type of hand outside of a strong club is also very much an American thing, very few Acol playing Brits would ever consider it. There is no rebid problem, 1-1M-2 doesn't show 6 to us.

As we play, I could double 2 to show 4/5 and not promise any extra values, but not sure whether I'd bother with only one spade.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-26, 08:13

There are a lot of hands where passing the double is right.

This is not one of them or even close.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-26, 08:39

We don't know the strength of 1nt. If weak I'd have raised clubs so we don't get the problem.
As for the pass of 2X - not at imp.

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-October-26, 08:43

Hmm ok I was east. Thought my x was a bit pushy
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-26, 16:01

View Posteagles123, on 2014-October-26, 08:43, said:

Hmm ok I was east. Thought my x was a bit pushy

You have 10 hcp.
All prime.
Pd opened
They bid and raised
You have support for all other suits
You are at 2 level.
Pd knows you have 5 spades, and spades outrank hearts and 5-2 contract at 2 level is just fine.
You are in pass out seat.

Considering all of this, not doubling would be EXTREMELY odd action with E hand, imho.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-26, 16:17

View Postthe hog, on 2014-October-26, 07:18, said:

West should open 1D to facilitate an easy rebid

I have a flexible approach when it comes to this. Yes I know this was debated a lot of times in forums and everyone has their own idea about it. With the OP hand I have no problem opening 1 and rebidding 2 over 1. But make my diamonds AKJx and clubs Kxxxx I prefer opening 1. Pd will never know which minor is longer. For example the OP hand, will responder know not to correct to 3 and pass 3? If so what would happen if opener had 5+4?
I think opening 1 regardless of suit quality with 4-5 minors increases the chances of playing 4-3 fits when 5-3 was available. Alternatives have flaws as well. Opening always 1 requires either rebidding 1 NT with an unbalanced hand or rebidding a 5 card weak suit.
As responder, when my pd opens 1 and rebid 2, I almost always correct it to 3 with 3-3 minors. Only time when it is right to leave it in clubs is when opener has 4-5, as oppose to 5-4 6-4 7-4. However, if I responded very light and I do not want another bid from my pd (Qxxxx xx Jxx Jxx) I may choose to pass 2

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-26, 16:36

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-October-26, 08:04, said:

Opening 1 on this type of hand outside of a strong club is also very much an American thing, very few Acol playing Brits would ever consider it. There is no rebid problem, 1-1M-2 doesn't show 6 to us.

No it is not. It is a very weird non-bridge view. A substantial school advocates 1 on many 4-5 shapes, tho I think that is a minority view these days, but almost none would with this suit discrepancy.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-October-26, 18:42

FYP

Imps on BBO partner says that they are advanced.

PD should not pass especially at IMPs and should just bid 3 .

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-26, 18:42

Again, who cares whether the partnership would open 1d or 1C with this? If they open 1C, they pull to 2nt (pick a minor). If they open 1D, they pull the double to 3C...and life goes on.

This is an OBAR auction, so we aren't playing in 2NT ever, and we aren't sitting 2HX more than maybe .0001 of the time.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#17 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-October-26, 20:02

The opponents have shown an 8 card fit. East's 1 doesn't necessarily show more than a minimum response but should show 5 . East is in reopening position.

East really needs a bid to suggest competing further. So the double, in this case, has to be value showing -- a balance of power double. It suggests that your side has the majority of the points and that East has a willingness to compete with no clear cut action.

At MPs, West may risk leaving in a close double to try for the magic part score result of +200. But at IMPS, unless West is absolutely sure that 2 is going down, West must make a bid. Even then, West probably should recheck how certain setting the contract is before sitting for 2 x.

Here, West is looking at a probable trump trick and possibly 2 tricks. So, it looks like East will have to come up with 3 tricks to beat 2 . Given the actual bidding, that seems like a rather tall order.

The choice then is between 2 NT and 3 . I think 3 is preferable because only a single stopper is held. With the overcall and raise, it looks like the opponents can duck a trick and set up at least 4 more fast cashing tricks. East/West would have to score 7 additional tricks before the opponents score 2 tricks outside of in order to make.

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-26, 21:21

View Postrmnka447, on 2014-October-26, 20:02, said:

The choice then is between 2 NT and 3 . I think 3 is preferable because only a single stopper is held. With the overcall and raise, it looks like the opponents can duck a trick and set up at least 4 more fast cashing tricks. East/West would have to score 7 additional tricks before the opponents score 2 tricks outside of in order to make.

I don't think anyone suggested 2nt was to play. It is to find the 4-4 diamond fit instead of the 5-2 club fit.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#19 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-26, 22:20

West is to blame under modern understandings, but half the players at my local club would not understand East's double correctly. Many still operate under the delusion that letting opps make 2 (even doubled) is better than risking a 50% chance of going down in your own contract. After all, going down is MY FAULT, and opponents making is just bad cards.

Sadly, I wouldn't expect a random BBO self-rated as 'Advanced' to understand East's double correctly.

#20 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-27, 02:09

This hand result is all on west. He passed because he was was not listening and seeing that he for sure had an 8 card fit in ONE of the minors, which minor it is does not matter. Either may well reduce defensive tricks. In order to score 2 trumps ruffing he will need partner to have both pointed aces, if not he is back to the 1 trump trick he started with, this is optimistic in my view.

I am not a fan of opening the bidding 1D, maybe if I held AKQJ and 5C to the 7 it would make more sense. If in fact that took place on this hand rather than end up playing in 3C you end up in 3D with perhaps a less than happy outcome.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users