BBO Discussion Forums: Canape Ultra-Lite Strong Club/Ultra-lite Limited Openings/4 Card Majors - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Canape Ultra-Lite Strong Club/Ultra-lite Limited Openings/4 Card Majors 13+ "Strong" Club, 4 card MAJ, 8-12 limited openings, canape

#1 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-25, 19:20

Who wants to help me test this out on BBO (I can email a spread sheet with excruciating detail):

Canape Ultra-Lite Strong Club/Ultra-lite Limited Openings/4 Card Majors

1 Club is a strong forcing bid. 13+ HCP in seats 1&2, 17+ HCP in seats 3 and 4.
........ 1 Diamond is artificial response showing <12 HCP by unpassed hand, <8 by passed hand
................ Opener shows suits, starting with a 4 Card Major, if held
........................ Responder makes transfer bids into suits or NT to show shape
........................ Opener accepts with min, bids something else with more a bit more
........ With a GF positive response, Responder transfers
................ Accept by opener is standard Precision Trump Ask if suit
................ After NT accept or New Suit by Opener, Responder retransfers to show shape
................ Immediate cheapest NT (not accept) by Opener asks for Controls (A=2, K=1)
................ New Suit by Opener demands transfer 2nd bid by Responder – thereafter natural
1 Diamond is an all-purpose bid, showing either minor one suited or 13-15(NV)/11-13(V) NT
1 H/1S are 4+ length and 8+ HCP Seats 1 and 2, Somewhat meatier seats 3 and 4
........ Adjusted Bergen
........ Adjusted Jacoby
1NT is 10-12 NV Seats 1-2 and 14-16 VUL or always in seats 3-4
........ 4 way transfers
2 Level bids are conventional and in seats 1-3 show 8-12 or 16 HCP and 2 suits:
........ 2C = Clubs and Hearts, with longer Clubs and no more than 4 Hearts
........ 2D = Diamonds and Spades, with longer Diamonds and no more than 4 Spades
........ 2H = Hearts and Diamonds with 5+ Hearts
........ 2S = Spades and Clubs with 5+ Spades.
Thus with 8-12 HCP:
........ 1H-1NT-2C is 5+/4+ in Hearts and Clubs, respectively
........ 1H-1NT-2D is canapé, 4 Hearts and longer Diamonds
........ 1S-1NT-2C is canapé, 4 Spades and longer Clubs
........ 1S-1NT-2D is 5+ Spades and Diamonds
In seats 1&2 NV, 1C-1D-1NT = 16-17. 1NT = 10-12. 1D-1Grape-1NT = 13-15.
........ After any 10-16 NT is doubled, 4 way transfers apply and failure to x-fer (except to 3C), denies 5 card suit
........ After any 10-16 NT is doubled, XX = SOS and partners bid 4 (or 5) card suits up the line until a fit
........ After any 10-16 NT is doubled, PASS suggests a willingness to play right there (about ½ the deck)

PM me. We should be opening over 70% of hands in seats 1&2, finding our 4-4 fits easily and be very well positioned by partner's pass in seats 3&4.

#2 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-27, 01:23

If I understand correctly 1C is unbalanced if 13--15 hcp? I have played 1C as 12--16 any unbalanced or 15--17 bal. That was playable, but I always had the feeling when opening it that we might get a bad board. Starting a strong club at 13 is too low in my opinion, but you might gain from the weak openings on the other hand. Using a negative diamond as any non-GF seems like a huge range. Perhaps you could play the diamond response as 0--7 or any GF, and other responses as 8--11?

The diamond opening can probably work. I would personally play the 1NT opening as (11)12--14 and make 1D unbalanced without major.

I like the combination of the major suit openings and the two-bids, but it seems a bit strange to play Bergen over a 4 card major opening.

#3 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-17, 00:28

I have revised the system to make it GCC compliant. 4 card majors, canape and 15+ strong club. In this system the dealer will hold a hand that will be opened 1 MAJ fully 25% of the time. (Dealer will open SOMETHING over 60% of the time.) Therefore the 1 MAJ structure is critical. Here is my revised proposal:

1 MAJ = 4+ in bid suit, 9-14 HCP (or equivalent playing strength, but always at least 2 defensive tricks).

So responses:
............. 1NT = NF, natural, sign-off 8-11 HCP . . . opener rebids only to improve contract w/shape
............. Single raise = mild preempt, no game interest
............. 1S/1H = 8+ HCP, unlimited, 4+ Spades F1
............. 2min/1MAJ = INV (12-14) or better, may be a manufactured bid (3+ length), F1
............. JS = Self-sufficient suit GF (16+HCP), or fit showing slam try GF (18+HCP)
............. 2NT = 12-14/15 Balanced (INV) . . . at least 3 card support
............. Double Raise = Pre-emptive, no game interest
............. 3NT = Balanced, 3 card support, 15/16-17
............. Double JS = Splinter, GF, Slam try
............. Game in MAJ = to play, no slam interest, may be advance sacrifice
............. 1430, GSF (looking for 2 honors for 7 and 1 for 6)

Opener's rebids:
......................... A rebid of minimum NT shows a balanced hand (4 or 5 in MAJ) 11-14 HCP
......................... A rebid of same color minor is canape (4 in MAJ, 5+ in minor)*
......................... A rebid of same shape minor is standard 2 suiter (5+ in MAJ, 4+ in minor)*
......................... A rebid of MAJ is 6+
......................... Opener need not jump to show values (Are we at risk of missing a game here?)
......................... Any jump rebid by opener shows 12-14 HCP and shape if jump into new suit

* Because 2 level openings shows longer minor/4 card same shape MAJ if minor is bid (Cs and Hs or Ds and Ss) and 5+/4+ same color minor if MAJ is bid.

New suits by Responder at 2nd bid and beyond are typically F1 (or better) unless a NT has been bid somewhere in the auction.

1H-1S-1NT-2C(INV) or 2D(GF) = XYZ . . . Opener shows 3 card support, or lacking that 5 card MAJ or lacking that, temporizes with 2D or 2NT.

Welcome any thoughts or critiques.

#4 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2014-November-17, 09:23

1M can be 9, 2m forcing can be 12, that means one can have combined 21 and no fit, and often end up at 2NT, where the field is lower
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#5 User is offline   jgillispie 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Women
    Food
    Balloons
    Birding
    Magic
    Math/Sciences

Posted 2014-November-20, 19:43

I'll play it. Send me the system and tell me when you're available...
(No comment)

#6 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-20, 22:11

jgillispie, on 2014-November-20, 19:43, said:

I'll play it. Send me the system and tell me when you're available...

You have a PM.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users