• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dealer "print action" in BBO

#1 User is offline   papillon38 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-25, 03:26

Hi,

Using Dealer to generate hands in BBO, I would need to popup a message (message coming from my dealer code), or write this message in any place accessible on my PC (any file, standard output, ...). I thought that "printes" action would be adapted, it seems that it does not work.

Is there any possibility for this ? (if necessary, I can explain later the reason why I need to popup a message)
Thanks

papillon38

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-25, 22:01

Not that I can think of .. .uday

#3 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2014-October-26, 06:51

What would u need this for, anyway?

#4 User is offline   papillon38 

• Pip

Posted 2014-October-29, 04:50

Hi,

I have setup code for practice of "informative double" (or "negative double", I am not quite sure which is the right expression for the french "contre spoutnik") :

My partner N opens, and E overcalls (1D, 1H, 1S, 2T ...), and I have 8 hcp in S (W will pass).

I have setup seperate code for each type of overcall of the right hand opponent. I thus need to control myself the bid of east. If I could popup "E bids 1D" when the corresponding code is activated, "E bids 1H" when the corresponding code is activated, and so on, it would be possible to mix all seperated code, and I would then have a single code adapted for all trainings of informative double, whatever the overcall of E is.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-October-29, 10:28

right expression is "sputnik double", but that will only work in the UK. Standard expression (even in the UK, now) for "double by responder of overcall for majors/takeout" is "negative double". Unfortunately, some people use "this double is negative" or "a negative double" to mean "any double that shows the unbid suits that isn't 1something-X, which is 'takeout'" - which makes life difficult. If that's standard in France, then that makes it even more difficult for you.

English is Weird, and Bridge English is not less Weird. Sorry.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   johnjo42 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-October-30, 07:41

The term "Informative double" is the original name of what people now call a "take-out" double which has several meanings including

(a) Double by LHO of opening bidder

(b) Double by 4th hand after both opponents have bid (e.g. (1S - pass (2C) double)

In the early days of bridge such a double was penalties

Sputnik double means a double by the opener's partner after an overcall, e.g. 1D (1S) double, where the double shows 4 hearts, less than 4 card support for partner and a weakish hand (say 8-10). Alternative term is negative double. However, many people play a "negative" double as a hand which could be strong but asking for more information.

#7 User is offline   papillon38 

• Pip

Posted 2014-October-30, 08:20

Thank you to all for english lessons. Always difficult for me to be sure to use th right expression.

"contre spoutnik" is used in standard french bridge to describe any situation
1x 1y X meaning : I have no natural bid, 8 hcp at least. Of course the meaining is different according to the overcall (1D, 1H, 1S)

By the way, anybody having an idea for how to solve my programming problem (which was the main purpose of this post .... :rolleyes: ) ?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-30, 08:57

View Postpapillon38, on 2014-October-30, 08:20, said:

By the way, anybody having an idea for how to solve my programming problem (which was the main purpose of this post .... :rolleyes: ) ?

There's nothing you can do if BBO doesn't have a way to display these things. It seems like this really belongs in Suggestions for the Software, asking that BBO be enhanced to display the output.

#9 User is offline   papillon38 

• Pip

Posted 2014-October-30, 10:55

Thanks Barmar,

I have created a new topic in "Suggestions for the Software"

#10 User is offline   navahak 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-October-30, 11:05

View Postpapillon38, on 2014-October-29, 04:50, said:

I have setup seperate code for each type of overcall of the right hand opponent. I thus need to control myself the bid of east. If I could popup "E bids 1D" when the corresponding code is activated, "E bids 1H" when the corresponding code is activated, and so on, it would be possible to mix all seperated code, and I would then have a single code adapted for all trainings of informative double, whatever the overcall of E is.

Using GIBs as opponents in biding practice does the trick if you have limits for opponents cards too so it matches what GIB thinks overcall looks like.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users