#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-24, 15:12

GIB and I had the following auction:
2-2 (strong - waiting)
2-3 (both natural)
4N-5C (RKC(D) - 0 or 3)

I was holding 8 top spades, 2 round Aces and 3 small diamonds. Maybe that wasn't the best way to bid this, but that's what I did, (probably foolishly) eager to check the possibility of bidding grand. Now, I wanted to sign off in 5, but when I previewed that bid, it was Q ask. It didn't occur to me to preview 5 -- would that have been to sign off in 5? There shouldn't be a need for two Q asks...

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 15:32

Well it thinks you agreed diamonds. If you wanted to RKC for spades you should have rebid spades first. Or started with 3s over 2d which likely would have been best.

With my partners I generally don't like 4nt = RKC in last bid suit if there is a way to agree trumps below game, e.g. here 4, I would probably play 4nt as simply "too good for 3nt". But I guess RKC for diamonds isn't totally ridiculous.

I agree if 4n = rkc diamonds 5h should be the queen ask, 5s who knows, to play is OK but maybe it should be asking for SK looking for the diamond grand?

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-October-24, 18:51

Given my hand, I definitely wanted to bid RKC for diamonds, since that would address all of my uncovered cards... I failed to plan for the possibility of the unfavorable response.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-24, 21:58

Yes it is fairly common with an intelligent partner to RKC in one suit expecting to settle in another. I would never have tried that with GIB, except as an experiment to generate a forum post :)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 06:08

Seems like a nice example in favor of kickback or minorwood. :)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-November-02, 16:17

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-October-25, 06:08, said:

Seems like a nice example in favor of kickback or minorwood. :)

Rik
Still have to had agreed trump, bidding 4N or Kickback before agreeing trump is premature.
But Kickback better. Minorwood using 4/4 as ace ask is just an accident waiting to happen (being mistaken for sign-off/inv or forcing bid)
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-02, 19:31

You should have just bid 6, hoping that partner had the nuts.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-November-02, 20:27

View Postchasetb, on 2014-November-02, 19:31, said:

You should have just bid 6, hoping that partner had the nuts.
Before or after I found out that we were missing the cashable AK?

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-03, 02:06

So, did GIB let you play in spades below the 7 level??? :lol:

Also, you show 2 (strong - waiting). Isn't is just waiting, could be weak?

I think the GIB "system" bid after opening 2 is to jump to 3 showing a solid, independent suit and about 10 playing tricks. Maybe GIB partner could do something good in the bidding :D

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-November-03, 09:38

View Postjohnu, on 2014-November-03, 02:06, said:

Also, you show 2 (strong - waiting). Isn't is just waiting, could be weak?

Sorry if that was unclear. "2-2 (strong - waiting)" means 2 is strong and 2 is waiting".

#11 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-May-01, 07:19

View PostStephen Tu, on 2014-October-24, 15:32, said:

Well it thinks you agreed diamonds. If you wanted to RKC for spades you should have rebid spades first. Or started with 3s over 2d which likely would have been best.

With my partners I generally don't like 4nt = RKC in last bid suit if there is a way to agree trumps below game, e.g. here 4, I would probably play 4nt as simply "too good for 3nt". But I guess RKC for diamonds isn't totally ridiculous.

I agree if 4n = rkc diamonds 5h should be the queen ask, 5s who knows, to play is OK but maybe it should be asking for SK looking for the diamond grand?

If you want to know If in spade suit there is K it's sufficent 5=? for Q-5=yes Q+K of spade.(Lovera)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users