• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No stop

#41 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-26, 12:39

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-26, 11:49, said:

Whatever your partnership style is for the rebid in this situation --- and is is purely a style issue --- wrong-siding is not in the mix.

It could be important if Responder were playing NT and Opener were the one with a stopper to be led through. But, the overcaller is on lead. That is the person we want on lead. Actually we could use right-siding as an argument for the 1NT without a stop.

Not really, you hold xxx, partner has Q10x, do you want the overcaller on lead with AJxxx or is it AKxxx, no you want his partner to resolve this for you on the opening lead.

#42 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-26, 13:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-October-26, 12:39, said:

Not really, you hold xxx, partner has Q10x, do you want the overcaller on lead with AJxxx or is it AKxxx, no you want his partner to resolve this for you on the opening lead.

who would you want on opening lead if partner has q doubleton? But like I said, pick a style. Wrong-siding is not really why we would select one over the other.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#43 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-26, 20:22

There are times the "best" description is sorely lacking in some important
aspect. We have all had to bid 1M with a 3 card major (ick) well the same type of
scenario exists with this hand. To go beyond 1n is "unsafe". The 1N bid will not
keep us from making game/slam level contracts and it quite possibly is the last
"safe" place to play.

Jumping around in nt assuming opener has a stopper makes little sense since
there is an easy cue bid to verify a stop. A more interesting question might be
just that what would the south hand bid after responder cues at the 2 level:))))

#44 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-27, 01:52

It need not be "unsafe", but yes, passing 1NT can lead to a few ridiculous contracts if say, you bid 2 and find doubler with 3415. Or if you bid 2 and doubler has 3433 :)

#45 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 17:02

I'm late to this party but 1nt on 3 small is truly BIZARRE!!!!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#46 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-31, 19:54

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-October-31, 17:02, said:

LOL
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#47 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-November-01, 12:51

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-October-31, 17:02, said:

Well, that clears it up. If you had come in earlier, we wouldn't have had to waste our time discussing style and the pros/cons of 1NT vs. 2D.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#48 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 13:58

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-November-01, 12:51, said:

Well, that clears it up. If you had come in earlier, we wouldn't have had to waste our time discussing style and the pros/cons of 1NT vs. 2D.

OK, I don't have any pros. :)

Partner will play me for a min opener with some spade wastage, misbid, sell out and/or misdefend vs. any more bidding or 1nt ends the auction AND is the right spot.

A 2 bid is off by 1 crummy spot that pard can read as a possibility of "none of the above" and not being adverse to playing a moyse, a 2 bid either gets a preference back to diamonds or has some play.

I make 1nt at least a 3 to 1 parlay.

#49 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 17:48

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-November-01, 13:58, said:

Partner will play me for a min opener with some spade wastage, misbid, sell out and/or misdefend vs. any more bidding or 1nt ends the auction AND is the right spot.
This has an easy solution: change your partner to someone who has studied bridge during this century.

#50 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-01, 18:16

View PostFluffy, on 2014-November-01, 17:48, said:

This has an easy solution: change your partner to someone who has studied bridge during this century.

Sorry, Gonzalo, but this is not the way.

Simply put: 1NT is a bad bid. It may be that all other actions are even worse and that 1NT is the least of evils. But you cannot tell me that you are going to be proud when you bid 1NT, LHO bids 3, and partner bids 3NT when they cash the first 5 tricks. You cannot act as if this hand is an example hand in a 21st century bridge book of a perfect 1NT rebid when it isn't.

I agree with you that a 1NT rebid does not promise a spade stop. Nevertheless, partner is allowed to expect one, since without a spade stop you should be considering alternative rebids. Sometimes you hold a 3343 and there is no alternative. In this case, there are two possible alternatives for 1NT (2 and 2). Neither of these is flawless, but acting as if 1NT is flawless with the argument that "it is the 21st century bid" is not very helpful.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#51 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-01, 18:19

View PostFluffy, on 2014-November-01, 17:48, said:

Or reinvent yourself.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#52 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-November-01, 18:34

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-November-01, 13:58, said:

OK, I don't have any pros. :)

A 2 bid is off by 1 crummy spot that pard can read as a possibility of "none of the above" and not being adverse to playing a moyse, a 2 bid either gets a preference back to diamonds or has some play.

I make 1nt at least a 3 to 1 parlay.

Could you please post this in English. I have no idea what you are saying except that you don't like 1NT, a bid that shows your balanced nature and defines your strength.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#53 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-November-01, 19:13

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-November-01, 18:16, said:

Simply put: 1NT is a bad bid. It may be that all other actions are even worse and that 1NT is the least of evils.

If our partnership agreement is that 1NT shows any balanced hand in the 12-14 range, how can 1NT be a bad bid? You may consider it to be a bad agreement, but that's rather different from being an bad bid.

But you cannot tell me that you are going to be proud when you bid 1NT, LHO bids 3, and partner bids 3NT when they cash the first 5 tricks.

That doesn't seem a terribly likely scenario, because he didn't bid 3 on the first round. If it does go like that partner should double to ask for a spade stop. Doesn't everyone play that?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#54 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-November-01, 20:04

View Postgnasher, on 2014-November-01, 19:13, said:

[That doesn't seem a terribly likely scenario, because he didn't bid 3 on the first round. If it does go like that partner should double to ask for a spade stop. Doesn't everyone play that?

Aside from the unlikeliness of the 3 bid, what kind of hand would partner bid 3n on? Seems like balanced GF hands should just double in that position almost regardless of what double means. I guess he might have some x46x shape, but this whole scenario is getting more and more unlikely.

#55 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-02, 09:49

So cuebids spades to ask for a stopper and may have to do it at the 3 level and you????

I can't think of any further auction that isn't groping in the dark except float.

#56 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-02, 10:44

View Postgnasher, on 2014-November-01, 19:13, said:

That doesn't seem a terribly likely scenario, because he didn't bid 3 on the first round. If it does go like that partner should double to ask for a spade stop.

You are right. This is the second time in this discussion that I have the auction wrong in my mind (though it is not the most complicated auction ever). I think I will go and eat a deck of cards...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users