• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No stop

#21 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-25, 02:07

IMO this is a 1NT rebid which indicates a balanced 12-14. It remains unfortunate my S stop is weak but this is the hand you have. To rebid 2D (showing 6) is more likely to help you get to 3N when partner invisions 6D tricks with his 3rd and bids 3N with his single spade stop.

#22 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 03:13

I feel back on the 20th century reading some comments. This has been a 1NT rebid for long enough that everybody should know already.

#23 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-25, 04:32

With my regular partner sitting across the table, I'd have to bid 2 Diamonds because 1 NT promises a stop I don't have and the Diamonds are rebiddable in our system.

#24 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 06:08

View PostFluffy, on 2014-October-25, 03:13, said:

I feel back on the 20th century reading some comments. This has been a 1NT rebid for long enough that everybody should know already.

It is not that we (at least I) do not know the current trend. It is just that we (at least I) never get results playing it. If everyone tells me that the modern fashion is to bid 1N, and my personal experience is that I get better results with an alternative, then I go with the alternative.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#25 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 07:17

View Poststelst, on 2014-October-24, 06:12, said:

IMP's. Which is your least worst call?

Without the overcall, 1NT is easy rebid for strong NT opners but now that opps have overcalled in spades a 1NT bid now would certainly show a spade stop. So my only bid would be 2 diamonds. I don't feel that either clubs or hearts would be a better suit - maybe only a 4-3 fit, and partner could well have 3 diamonds with me.
I'm quite glad that playing a weak NT I can open this hand 1NT!

#26 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 07:54

View Postjmcilkley, on 2014-October-25, 07:17, said:

Without the overcall, 1NT is easy rebid for strong NT opners but now that opps have overcalled in spades a 1NT bid now would certainly show a spade stop. So my only bid would be 2 diamonds. I don't feel that either clubs or hearts would be a better suit - maybe only a 4-3 fit, and partner could well have 3 diamonds with me.

Wishful thinking that.
Partner is likely to have 3+ spades, 4+ hearts, 3+ clubs. Also do you really want to show 6 diamonds ?

#27 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-25, 08:10

You are only showing 6 Diamonds if you have so agreed. I would not recommend making a bid that shows a 6th Diamond. But then I would not recommend entering into an agreement where that is what the bid shows.

There are two reasons why it might not be reasonable to insist on a 6th Diamond for the bid.

One is that depending on agreements you may have only so far promised 3 of them. It may be sensible not to rebid the suit just to show one extra card, but to require 3 extra may be a bit excessive

The other is that partner's double is effectively a forcing bid. Your obligation to have extra length is suspended where you are responding to a force contrasted with volunteering the suit.

Partner should not be doubling with Spade length. Tolerance for Diamonds is a reasonable expectation or, failing that, partner has sufficient length in H or C to bid the suit next round.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#28 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 08:44

View Postwanoff, on 2014-October-25, 07:54, said:

Wishful thinking that.
Partner is likely to have 3+ spades, 4+ hearts, 3+ clubs. Also do you really want to show 6 diamonds ?

Who says that 2 shows 6 diamonds?

If the 1NT bidders can say that 1NT doesn't show a spade stop, then the 2 bidders can say that 2 doesn't show a 6 card suit.

Personnally, I don't get where the idea comes from that a rebid in a minor shows a six card suit. When I was taught bridge (admittedly in the 20th century) it showed only 5, even in an uncontested auction. If I would get a 1=3=4=5 hand with 14 HCP, I would open 1 and rebid:
2 over 1
2 over 1//1NT

Nowadays people are avoiding a rebid in a minor on a five card suit and they will rebid:
?? over 1
2 over 1
1NT over 1
?? over 1NT

My teacher told me back then: "If you lie about anything, lie about a minor." That made perfect bridge sense back then and it makes perfect bridge sense in the 21st century too. So, even if you think that 2 shows a 6 card suit (which it doesn't), you can lie and say you have 6 when you only hold 5.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#29 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 09:14

Those people who choose a "lie" here are those who require 6 pieces for a 2D rebid AND require a spade stop for a 1NT rebid. That is just a bad combination of agreements.

You are either in the "size and shape" camp, with partner on the same page --- or you are in the "must have stop" camp and partner knows you might have only 5D.

Neither camp will convince the other to change. I would strongly recommend you lose the combination of agreements mentioned in my first paragraph, since it creates a lie to partner.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#30 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 09:30

Agua,

Bridge is still a game of making the best bid possible.

What are you going to do if you are in the "1NT shows a stop" camp and you hold:
J97
AQ75
AK7

Rebid 2m, because 1NT promises a spade stop? I think that is absurd.

Similarly, what are you going to do if you are in the "2 shows 6" camp and you hold:
AKQJT
KJ3

Bid 1NT, because 2 promises 6? I think that is equally absurd.

I think that it is good to realize that you do not always have the perfect bid. You try to make the best of it and that is all you can do. If it works out bad, there always is the next board with new chances.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#31 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-25, 09:48

The issue may be related to a modern trend to double 1S on any hand with 4+ Hearts and lacking a forcing bid, where a decade or so ago there was more emphasis on shortage in oppo suit. I still have something of a preference for the old school. But there is a stronger case for 1N if, consistent with the modern trend, Diamond tolerance cannot be assumed with the double.

#32 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 12:50

View Postwanoff, on 2014-October-25, 01:56, said:

Yes, so on game hands the chance of a doubleton spade is reduced. Even Jxx maybe an effective stop.
RP naïve using one of his toys in a new partnership.

Really? He was naive to think that his supposedly expert partner had read their convention card?

#33 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 15:43

I think Aqua's point is the rebiddable 5 Diamonds gives opener somewhere to go. It would be silly to play both "must have stop" and "must have six to rebid."

#34 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-October-25, 16:15

View PostTrump Echo, on 2014-October-25, 15:43, said:

I think Aqua's point is the rebiddable 5 Diamonds gives opener somewhere to go. It would be silly to play both "must have stop" and "must have six to rebid."

It is silly to play must have stop no matter what as you are also dealt 3343 and also some 4432 with 4 smalls.

Also I find it silly to discuss about Promise 6, show 6 or whatever.

Promise 6, shows 6 or whatever its just a word game. They can mean the same yet be expressed with different words, and the opposite is also true, they can be expressed with same words yet meand ifferent things for different people. Similar to what happens to take out doubles at high levels (or any level actually), that you can name them whatever you want but the real things is that they will become final some perentage of the time and be pulled the rest, and instead of giving it words you would be better of defyning just an aproximate percentage on how often they should be passed, like 4-X = 60-40 take out.

#35 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-25, 18:09

View PostTrump Echo, on 2014-October-25, 15:43, said:

Thanks echo. That was exactly my point. You either are a size and shape person or you will rebid a mediocre 5-card minor; you shouldn't be both. On some hands you might have problems rebidding, this isn't one of them. Doesn't matter to me at all what some other partnership chooses; but they should not have both 6 and stop, for then they have a problem where they shouldn't have.

#36 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-25, 19:07

Reminds me of something I read a while ago - it was probably on BBO. Various experts were asked what does it take to be an expert?

One of them said, the important thing is to be on the same page as your partner. What really struck me was that he said (paraphrasing) "It doesn't really matter what system you use. The important thing is you are both in sync." And the other thing he said was to play every hand as if it was the world championship.

I think it's interesting that the robots play rebiddable 5 card suits. And they play a pretty good game, IMO. I don't know who wrote that software, what his play level is, or how they decided that rebiddable 5-card suits makes sense in the new millennium, but the robots seem to handle themselves fairly well (I believe they don't necessarily promise a solid stop in NT but they imply it).

I do acknowledge, of course, the game is evolving for the better, and I may someday be convinced that our system could use improvement. And btw, I do own Goren's 1963 bridge book, not that I follow it too closely these days (Fluff - I believe you mentioned you read the book twice early on - in one of your stories...)

#37 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-25, 19:20

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-October-25, 09:30, said:

Agua,

Bridge is still a game of making the best bid possible.

What are you going to do if you are in the "1NT shows a stop" camp and you hold:
J97
AQ75
AK7

Rebid 2m, because 1NT promises a spade stop? I think that is absurd.

Similarly, what are you going to do if you are in the "2 shows 6" camp and you hold:
AKQJT
KJ3

I think that it is good to realize that you do not always have the perfect bid. You try to make the best of it and that is all you can do. If it works out bad, there always is the next board with new chances.

Rik

If you hold the first hand and have those agreements your system is unplayable. Change your agreements. This hand is not uncommon.

The second hand is a non problem as that hand would be opened 1NT. If not, bridge judgement says treat THAT D suit as a 6 carder.

"I think that it is good to realize that you do not always have the perfect bid. You try to make the best of it and that is all you can do. If it works out bad, there always is the next board with new chances."

True, but you do not need to cripple yourself either.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#38 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-October-26, 02:06

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-October-25, 09:30, said:

AKQJT
KJ3

Absurd or not that's what I'd do for sure, at least playing MPs, No, its not because I feel ashamed of having "only" 5, its because I wanna play 1NT opposite 8-9 balanced. Allowing partner to bid his 5 card hearts is another plus.

#39 User is offline   lrussell 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-26, 10:06

2 - agree with 1eyedjack 110%
(especially the comment about wrong-siding the NT)
Lorne Russell

#40 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-26, 11:49

Whatever your partnership style is for the rebid in this situation --- and is is purely a style issue --- wrong-siding is not in the mix.

It could be important if Responder were playing NT and Opener were the one with a stopper to be led through. But, the overcaller is on lead. That is the person we want on lead. Actually we could use right-siding as an argument for the 1NT without a stop.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users