• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you leave this double in?

#1 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-23, 16:04

We got a great result on this board, but partner had an impossible decision to make. Do you leave this in?

Partners Roman Jump Overcall is overcall structure style, so Spades and Clubs limited to about 14 HCP 5/4 or better (either way around, though partner is more likely to have 5 clubs).

There is two ways to bid a strong hand with spades and clubs, the above is one, and the other is start with 2NT which in this situation would show a big hand with clubs and another - in the notes it's defined as a big two suiter that cannot start off with a power double (which would be 15+ semi balanced) or like 8.5+ playing tricks.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 16:10

5 for me.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-23, 18:21

I don't think this is a forcing pass situation, so partner's double shouldn't have the same message it would if we were in a forcing pass. Tough problem. I'm pulling, but I would love to take less phantoms, so I shouldn't. Had the auction been the same with North bidding only 3, I think partner would be screaming "let's defend".
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 19:49

Pull to what? Maybe I should bid 6S. I know you gave the limitations of partner's first bid; but I think his double suggests a surprise in the expected tricks, not just that it was his turn.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 20:38

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-23, 19:49, said:

Pull to what? Maybe I should bid 6S. I know you gave the limitations of partner's first bid; but I think his double suggests a surprise in the expected tricks, not just that it was his turn.

I'll edit this into the OP, but there are two ways to bid a big two suiter with clubs and diamonds - he can start like this, or can start with 2NT which in this situation would show a big hand with clubs and another - in the notes it's defined as a big two suiter that cannot start off with a power double (which would be 15+ semi balanced). I'm not sure if this would effect your decision.

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 21:15

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-23, 19:49, said:

My imagination is failing me -- what kind of hand limited to 14 count do you expect
in order to make 6s a favorable contract?

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 21:22

5s

I know it feels "wrong" but with the double fit and totally weak defensive hand
it seems wrong to leave this x in. P cannot fail to x with A A/K and that is
probably insufficient to set 5h given our junk. Even if p has 3 aces we might
have a 10 card spade fit and one opp is void. We have too much junk when our
4s bid could have been significantly better. I have serious doubts that we can make
5s but there could be a slim chance which might keep the opps from x and helping
to downgrade the risk associated with 5s.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-23, 23:17

View Postgszes, on 2014-October-23, 21:15, said:

My imagination is failing me -- what kind of hand limited to 14 count do you expect
in order to make 6s a favorable contract?

AKQXX XXX V AJTXX seems to be on a hook thru the opening bidder. The double was Polish Lightner intending to lead his own void. AKXXX XXX V AKXXX might not be out of range for their agreements, either. The wording seems to include 5-5's, not just 4-5's.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 01:30

5/5 is included yeah

#10 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 03:48

No way I am passing with the huge double fit. Partner's doubles shows just extra values, not neccesary a desire to defend.

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-24, 04:08

View Postthe_clown, on 2014-October-24, 03:48, said:

Partner's doubles shows just extra values, not neccesary a desire to defend.

What's the point of showing "just extra values" on this hand? "Hey partner, guess what, 5 makes and 5 doesn't - but at least it's closer than you thought!"?

I'm struggling to see what double should be good for except to say "I have 3 tricks against 5."
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 04:22

I don't believe that partner would bid 2 with 4/5 as well as with 5/4 when vulnerable. At the very least it must promise five clubs and ten black cards, but even a 2 bid that could be 4/6 as well as 5/5 is questionable.

We are obviously not in a forcing pass situation, so I think this should be an action double in which case pulling is clear. But I suppose the double could be played as more penalty oriented. Even then, I pull it. Not if it promises three defensive tricks but that would be a strange agreement.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 06:29

Admittedly, looking at these cards, defending seems pretty grim. Pass requires a lot of trust in partner, but there is no reason he cannot hold KQx and an ace, or three aces, etc. I grit my teeth and pass.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 06:47

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-October-24, 04:08, said:

What's the point of showing "just extra values" on this hand? "Hey partner, guess what, 5 makes and 5 doesn't - but at least it's closer than you thought!"?

I'm struggling to see what double should be good for except to say "I have 3 tricks against 5."

Partner doesnt know our actual hand. We may have a double fit hand like this or just good fit for spades and 1-1.5 defensive tricks. Bidding when we have defence and a stiff club will be a disaster.

What his double says is just that he doesnt think its right to defend 5 undoubled. I am actually happy that he doubled since I may well have passed 5 and now I can confidently bid 5 and expect to be at most -1.

#15 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 06:59

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-October-24, 04:22, said:

I don't believe that partner would bid 2 with 4/5 as well as with 5/4 when vulnerable. At the very least it must promise five clubs and ten black cards, but even a 2 bid that could be 4/6 as well as 5/5 is questionable.

We are obviously not in a forcing pass situation, so I think this should be an action double in which case pulling is clear. But I suppose the double could be played as more penalty oriented. Even then, I pull it. Not if it promises three defensive tricks but that would be a strange agreement.

Yeah, our agreement is/was penalty. We were chatting in the post mortem because it was a tough decision.

The actual hand is uninteresting because your partner was operating and/or had lost touch with reality. In this specific case I had made asemi psyched in a terrible anti-partnership bid because they were on tilt and I figured south had a big hand. The less said about my subsequent decisions the better (like why am I even doubling? If my three tricks cash no one else is going to have had this auction so I will get a top anyway).

South had a 5/5 two suited 20 count and there are always 10 tricks in hearts and 9 in spades. Obviously we were the only table to find the double fit so as soon as we bid 4S we had all the matchpoints

Edit: vvvvvvv to be clear it is me, I am the lunatic who came up with two spades then double - partner is much more solid!

#16 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-October-24, 08:06

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-October-24, 06:59, said:

Your partner has a lot of imagination. An article written by Ed Manfield in TBW(1977) said a double in the direct seat is for penalties usually due to trump strength.

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-24, 08:28

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-October-24, 04:08, said:

Exactly. Pulling is a statement that you are playing with an idiot.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 09:34

Are you serious that 5 did not get doubled?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#19 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-24, 10:55

Dbl fit here, so 5 seems clear.

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-24, 14:06

View Postthe_clown, on 2014-October-24, 06:47, said:

Partner doesnt know our actual hand. We may have a double fit hand like this or just good fit for spades and 1-1.5 defensive tricks. Bidding when we have defence and a stiff club will be a disaster.

And what do we do if we have a stiff club and NO defense? Then we have to guess which of bid and pass will give us 5% of the matchpoints, and which will give us 0%?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users