BBO Discussion Forums: Preempt opposite a preempt - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Preempt opposite a preempt

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-22, 22:49

None vul, IMPs.

Partner opens 3 (partner is GIB, so preempt style is fairly disciplined) in first seat, pass to you. Any bid?
I passed, LHO bids 3NT back to you. Now what?

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-22, 22:53

Pass and pass.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-23, 04:27

Keep passing.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-23, 21:59

Pass with some relief, and hope it goes off on a bad break.

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 22:09

The first pass is clear I think - mostly because partner might bid again. If partner were barred for the rest of the auction, would 4 have been right?

I can't figure out why you shouldn't double 3NT. You're looking at 10 HCP to go with partner's 6+, so it's not like they're going to hit you a 30 combined. Breaks are bad for the pointed suits, so it looks if you just go passive declarer should have a hard time finding a ninth trick, no?

On the actual hand
Spoiler

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-24, 01:26

View PostAntrax, on 2014-October-23, 22:09, said:

The first pass is clear I think - mostly because partner might bid again. If partner were barred for the rest of the auction, would 4 have been right?

I can't figure out why you shouldn't double 3NT. You're looking at 10 HCP to go with partner's 6+, so it's not like they're going to hit you a 30 combined. Breaks are bad for the pointed suits, so it looks if you just go passive declarer should have a hard time finding a ninth trick, no?

On the actual hand
Spoiler

I don't understand this post. Partner would, of course, not bid again if you bid 4S.
No, I am not going to double. It would not even occur to me.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-24, 06:52

On the actual hand
Spoiler

Its nice that we have HCP but I dont see many tricks for our side (except for A). Strong hand is behind us so finesses will probably work for them. And partner has no idea what to lead.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 08:15

Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-24, 22:55

Hey, I know just enough to think myself into stupid plays :)
For serious I tried visualizing and all that and decided declarer will score 5 clubs off the top before losing the lead a second time and us cashing a lot of pointed suit cards.

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-October-28, 16:33

Hi,

most would play X of 3NT as lead directing, eiter demanding a diamond lead
or forbidding a diamond lead, take your pick.
We play it as demand, and one thing is for sure ... I dont want to have a
diamond lead.
Regarding 4S: You basically lack communication, on average you will be -2/-3,
depending how much you find out side diamonds with p.
3NT can go down, but you have a lot of honors out side diamonds, i.e. if declarer
has to locate specific honors, he will guess right, the only question is, how often can
he travel to dummy.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#11 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-28, 16:50

I would jump to 4 immediately. I don't expect this to receive overwhelming support, but I will wait to be flamed before justifying my stance.

#12 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-28, 17:26

Jump to 4S? We have some pretty adequate defense, I'd be pretty happy to defend 4H, and we're probably going to catch a stiff spade and just go for a number!

Bidding 4S really shows a lack of bridge understanding. Perhaps you should go back to playing with the novices.

Spoiler

Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#13 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-28, 17:53

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-October-28, 16:50, said:

I would jump to 4 immediately. I don't expect this to receive overwhelming support, but I will wait to be flamed before justifying my stance.

OK I was going to start a small fire but kuhchung has that covered, so what's the logic?

#14 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 04:39

View Postkuhchung, on 2014-October-28, 17:26, said:

Jump to 4S? We have some pretty adequate defense, I'd be pretty happy to defend 4H, and we're probably going to catch a stiff spade and just go for a number!

Bidding 4S really shows a lack of bridge understanding. Perhaps you should go back to playing with the novices.

Spoiler

Nice spoiler.

Muller/De Wijs were North South versus the Madsen brothers. 4 went two down. 4 would possibly go 5 down.

The auction looks crazy but it gave East an insoluble problem. The "cold" 3NT was reached in the other room. However, since you don't rate to make 3, you may as well jump to 4 and give them a real headache (it's not as if you can get to 3).

The set-up in the original hand in this thread is not identical, but some of the principles can be applied. On the original hand it's really difficult for them to nail us in 4 - after all double would usually be for take-out. If we catch them with a hand that would have overcalled 3NT (which would presumably make quite a decent amount of the time), they are more or less stuck, and if they stick out their neck with a 5 overcall, or gulp, 5 we will be delighted.

Randoms probably can double you in 4M, but more cultured players usually can't, so you should choose your opponents carefully when trying this sort of thing. And if you play against the Dutch, remember to play double as strong balanced here.

#15 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 13:17

It isn't enough that you Europeans preempt crazy, you have to advance crazy too?

Spoiler

Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users