• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Changing Law 27 split from "Adjusting score after an IB" in "Laws and Ruli

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-21, 07:59

View Postmycroft, on 2014-October-20, 14:29, said:

I am still however of the belief that keeping the "must make it sufficient or partner's barred" *and* "the IB, and the fact that partner was constrained in her choice of legal calls, is UI" is draconian, and overpunishing.

It baffles me how much sympathy many posters have for those who fail to follow the basic mechanics of the game.

The fact that a player can know and take advantage of the fact that partner tried to make an insufficient bid and may not "have" his 27B1 correction would be funny if it weren't so sad.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-21, 08:22

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-21, 07:59, said:

It baffles me how much sympathy many posters have for those who fail to follow the basic mechanics of the game.

The fact that a player can know and take advantage of the fact that partner tried to make an insufficient bid and may not "have" his 27B1 correction would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Sad, it is. But it is also funny...funny peculiar. Maybe 27D can be lawyered out by those who want the OS to gain from their infraction; but, how do they dismiss L23? And, why the agenda of wanting the OS to be allowed to gain?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-21, 13:50

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-21, 08:22, said:

Sad, it is. But it is also funny...funny peculiar. Maybe 27D can be lawyered out by those who want the OS to gain from their infraction; but, how do they dismiss L23? And, why the agenda of wanting the OS to be allowed to gain?

It is commonly believed that the Drafting Committee didn't seek guidance from anyone who has ever played in or directed a bridge game -- especially at club level. But they seem to have been lobbied heavily by a group that for some reason believe that infractions shouldn't cost (I can't wait for the next version of the Laws: when a player calls/plays out of turn, it is deemed to have been his turn all along.

Anyway, the current version has put perpetrators (particularly insufficient bidders and revokes) in the position of 'heads I win, tails I break even'. It's disgusting.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-21, 18:25

I would disagree with that (I have a full disagreement with the "sympathy with" to write, but that requires more thought than I have available today. Short version of that: "if you want to make the IB UI to partner, and let the IBer correct with any legal call (except double), I'd be right there with you, except for all the games where you wouldn't trust a UI ruling. If you want to follow current Law 25, which may or may not bar IB's partner, also fine - but don't treat the 'may have had to make the lowest sufficient call under duress as it's the only call that doesn't bar partner' as UI (Do check to make sure that the IB doesn't "win", though, over the normal auction). Both seems, as I said, draconian").

Right now, they're in "if we're lucky, we break even. If we're unlucky, we get penalized. If they don't call the TD, or the TD doesn't know the Law, we might get an advantage." territory.

I dislike the "primarily to repair the game" mentality as much as all; especially the "but I lost a trick I could never lose when I revoked, why did I only get back what was always coming to me when they did?" bit (which got us in the NAOP qualifiers - 4 trick "equity restoration", but no penalty for keeping the card until it was good). I think there are, or should be, penalties for failing to follow the mechanics of the game - if for no other reason than the continual arguments around the Stop Card and Protect Yourself show that if it's wrong but there's no penalty, they're not going to do it.

But I really do not see where, in revoke or IB situations, they win. They might "get away with it" - and that might be "winning", especially when the next time it happens (to the NOS of the first time), all hell drops on their head.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-21, 21:35

How about... When an insufficient bid is made, bidder's partner is barred for the rest of the auction, but there is no further penalty except under L23. Could anyone possibly disagree with that?

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-21, 22:38

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-21, 21:35, said:

How about... When an insufficient bid is made, bidder's partner is barred for the rest of the auction, but there is no further penalty except under L23. Could anyone possibly disagree with that?

There, we depart. The existing Laws are adequate, IMO. The TD just has to use them. It is easy to apply Pran's method and/or L23 --- effectively making the IB UI to the offender's partner, and adjust if he uses the UI.

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 01:23

Of course one could disagree with that. The primary reason for wanting laws that allow bridge to be played as normal in as many cases as possible, is that laws like this force players to make guesses that randomise results, sometimes to their detriment, sometimes to their benefit.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-22, 01:33

Have you any idea how many insufficient bids are made in weak clubs full of old people? That would make the game totally unplayable (except that the director is never called, anyway).

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-22, 11:04

View Postgordontd, on 2014-October-22, 01:23, said:

allow bridge to be played as normal in as many cases as possible

After an insufficient bid, that ship has sailed, IMO.

View PostStevenG, on 2014-October-22, 01:33, said:

Have you any idea how many insufficient bids are made in weak clubs full of old people? That would make the game totally unplayable (except that the director is never called, anyway).

Aren't these mainly mechanical errors, though? (And as you mention, if the opponents' response is "pick it up, dear" then there is no difference.)

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 15:16

The last six or seven posts in this thread seem to belong in "changing laws and regulations". I suppose I'm gonna have to split this thing again. :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-22, 15:51

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-October-22, 15:16, said:

The last six or seven posts in this thread seem to belong in "changing laws and regulations". I suppose I'm gonna have to split this thing again. :blink:

Have to? Threads drift. For people who already read it once, it's annoying to see a new thread with a bunch of posts they already read. There were no complaints in the previous thread about the drift.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-22, 16:05

View Postjeffford76, on 2014-October-22, 15:51, said:

Have to? Threads drift. For people who already read it once, it's annoying to see a new thread with a bunch of posts they already read. There were no complaints in the previous thread about the drift.

Very true. And I resent being named as the originator of this thread.

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-22, 16:13

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-22, 16:05, said:

Very true. And I resent being named as the originator of this thread.

Come on, Steph. You are the cause of this thread. And I agree it should have been split...and agree with what you said that caused it.

Be proud, not resentful

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-October-22, 17:50

Can't win, can't break even, can't get out of the game. :(
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-22, 19:03

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-22, 16:13, said:

Come on, Steph. You are the cause of this thread. And I agree it should have been split...and agree with what you said that caused it.

Be proud, not resentful

It's not that I don't want to be associated with the topic, but it happened once before and that was a topic I really didn't want to be associated with. So I would really prefer, in general, not to have my name on threads I didn't start. But I appreciate your support.

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-October-23, 00:06

It should be pretty clear that post #1 in this thread is not a "starter" post, since it quotes another post that isn't in this thread. But if you like, I'll edit your post, and put in a disclaimer over my name that I split your post and the following ones off from another thread.
--------------------

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-October-23, 06:05

Instead, how about this:
- After an insufficient bid, the director generates a score using a random number generator.
- The offenders are awarded the lower of this score and its reciprocal
- The non-offenders are awarded the higher of this score and its reciprocal

That has a similar effect to your solution, but
(a) It ensures that that offenders don't benefit from random good luck, eg by guessing to play in a game that happens to make
(b) It's a lot quicker than actually playing out the board, which is helpful because some time will probably have been lost by the director call.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-October-23, 06:18

View Postgnasher, on 2014-October-23, 06:05, said:

Instead, how about this:
- After an insufficient bid, the director generates a score using a random number generator.
- The offenders are awarded the lower of this score and its reciprocal
- The non-offenders are awarded the higher of this score and its reciprocal

Simpler would be the age-old recipe of cancel the board and award AVE+ to non-offenders, AVE- to the offenders.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-October-23, 06:35

View PostRMB1, on 2014-October-23, 06:18, said:

Simpler would be the age-old recipe of cancel the board and award AVE+ to non-offenders, AVE- to the offenders.

But that doesn't have the element of randomness which the lawmakers (and Vampyr) seem to consider necessary.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-23, 09:44

View Postgnasher, on 2014-October-23, 06:35, said:

But that doesn't have the element of randomness which the lawmakers (and Vampyr) seem to consider necessary.

The board has been spoilt so a "normal" result is impossible. The current solution is very poor as it often rewards the offenders.

I do not think that Robin's suggestion was serious but it might in fact be best.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users