• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT and 2NT - 5 card Stayman 5 card Stayman

#1 User is offline   fbear 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-22, 04:13

Whether you play a weak or strong NT, you may well open 1NT or 2NT with a 5 card major. I've often wondered about adapting Stayman to allow 5 card majors to be shown and wondered why someone hasn't bothered to devise one or if they have why it's not in widespread use.

May be there's a reason, but I think the following seems to do the job and my partner and I are happy with our results using it. If anyone would like to comment or offer suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

And if anyone would like to tell me why few pairs bother to try and find a 5 card major over 1NT I'd be interested too, I feel there must be a reason, but it escapes me.

I realise you lose 'Garbage Stayman' with the system below, but I think the advantages outweigh the loss.

I've tried to make the response structure similar to what a lot of pairs play over 2NT :

2NT-3C
?

3D = No 5 card major, but either 4 card major or 3 spades
3M = 5 cards
3N = Neither 4 or 5 card major and a doubleton spade

2NT-3C
3D-?

3M = 4 card suit (no puppet to make it consistent with the system over 1NT, but you could puppet if you like)
3N = to play
4H = 4 hearts and 5 spades (you know partner either has 4 hearts or 3 spades)

In addition, we play that 4H over 3D is pass/correct to 4S and the slower route is a slam try:-

2N-3C
3D-3H
3N-4S

You can play similarly over 1NT (with a slight 'wrinkle' to handle min/max hands with a doubleton spade) :

1NT-2C
?

2D = No 5 card major, but either a 4 card major or 3 spades or 2 spades (max HCP)
2M = 5 card suit
2N = Neither 4 or 5 card major and only 2 spades (minimum HCP)

1NT-2C
2D-?

2M = 4 card suit - Forcing to 2N
2N = Invitational
3 suit = natural 5 cards GF+
3N = To play

1NT-2C
2D-2H
?

2S = 4 cards
2N = denies 4 and 5 card major, min (and therefore 3 spades)
3S = denies 4 and 5 card major, max with 3 spades
3N = denies 4 and 5 card major, max with 2 spades

Cheers

Pete

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-22, 04:42

You don't get out very much. Google puppet Stayman.

There are many versions of 5-card Stayman. Jallerton plays 7 different versions (or thereabouts) with his different partners.

To comment briefly on your version, it is fundamentally flawed in that you end up with the weak hand playing 4M with a 4-4 fit after the 2NT opening. This is going to cost you about an average of at least a third of a trick, which is pretty disastrous.

#3 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-22, 05:03

I think it may be more common than you realise.
We play Stayman and 3- 5cd Stayman.

And yes, you lose bucket Stayman, half a bucket Stayman (eg Jxxx xxx Kxxxx x) and what do you do with 5/5 majors invite?

#4 User is offline   fbear 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 05:17

PhilKing, on 2014-October-22, 04:42, said:

You don't get out very much. Google puppet Stayman.

There are many versions of 5-card Stayman. Jallerton plays 7 different versions (or thereabouts) with his different partners.

To comment briefly on your version, it is fundamentally flawed in that you end up with the weak hand playing 4M with a 4-4 fit after the 2NT opening. This is going to cost you about an average of at least a third of a trick, which is pretty disastrous.

I did say you could puppet over 2NT if you wished....

I'm more interested in comments on the 1NT response structure which seems to hang together with the sole loss of Garbage Stayman and utilises a similar method for showing 2/3 spades as over 2NT to handle the responding hands with 5S+4H.

We also play the following which complements the Stayman auctions :

1N-3any = Decent 6 card suit (partner should bid 3NT with Hx or any max)

1N-transfer then raise = 6+ cards GF+ or 4N = quantitative

1N-transfer then minor suit = GF+
1N-transfer then other major : 1N-2D-2H-2S = 5H+4S F1, 1N-2H-2S-3H = 5-5 Inv

1N-4m = transfers to 4M, over which Pass = to play or 4N = RKCB

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 05:38

fbear, on 2014-October-22, 05:17, said:

I did say you could puppet over 2NT if you wished....

I think you should actually bother to look at other versions and see why they are better before trying to reinvent the wheel.

#6 User is offline   fbear 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 05:53

PhilKing, on 2014-October-22, 05:38, said:

I think you should actually bother to look at other versions and see why they are better before trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for being so constructive.

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 06:03

fbear, on 2014-October-22, 05:53, said:

Thanks for being so constructive.

This thread is likely to get ugly. :ph34r:

#8 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-October-22, 09:11

Here is an earlier 11 page thread on this topic that got ugly. Extreme patience is required to read all of it.

http://www.bridgebas...ppet+%2Bstayman
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-October-22, 10:35

I had a similar thought. I can't figure out why everyone wants Responder to play major contracts when partner has a strong notrump hand. It seems obvious to want Opener to declare, and yet no one has come up with a scheme to have Opener play the major contract!

It is actually very easy. I call my method Rexford Transmits. I transmit information to Opener, and he knows what to do.

Suppose partner opens 1NT. Suppose you have a major of 5-card length or greater. If you have spades, you want partner to bid spades first. So, you bid the OTHER MAJOR!!! 2, as the other major, shows spades. Easy.

My partner and I at first tried bidding 2 to show hearts, as the "other major" call, but that got costly. It forces a higher level. We then decided a better approach would be to bid the MINOR OF THE SAME COLOR!!!

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 10:54

PhilKing, on 2014-October-22, 06:03, said:

This thread is likely to get ugly. :ph34r:

Phil, your suggestion was very helpful; why do you think the OP was being sarcastic?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-22, 11:46

fbear and his partner bid uncontested:

1NT 2
2 2
3NT p

Your lead?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 04:03

mgoetze, on 2014-October-22, 11:46, said:

fbear and his partner bid uncontested:

1NT 2
2 2
3NT p

Your lead?

There's a snag here. What do I do when on lead and I am void in spades?

#13 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 04:05

kenrexford, on 2014-October-22, 10:35, said:

Suppose partner opens 1NT. Suppose you have a major of 5-card length or greater. If you have spades, you want partner to bid spades first. So, you bid the OTHER MAJOR!!! 2, as the other major, shows spades. Easy.

My partner and I at first tried bidding 2 to show hearts, as the "other major" call, but that got costly. It forces a higher level. We then decided a better approach would be to bid the MINOR OF THE SAME COLOR!!!

No, this will never be adopted by anyone. Having different methods for each major makes it too complicated.

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 04:17

fbear, on 2014-October-22, 04:13, said:

You can play similarly over 1NT (with a slight 'wrinkle' to handle min/max hands with a doubleton spade) :
[.....]
1NT-2C
2D-?

2M = 4 card suit - Forcing to 2N

If you want 2M to be forcing you may as well invert them to make opener declare more often.

I think your approach looks sensible, I am not sure why some other posters are so negative/sarcastic.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-October-23, 06:08

snip
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-23, 08:16

helene_t, on 2014-October-23, 04:17, said:

I think your approach looks sensible, I am not sure why some other posters are so negative/sarcastic.

I dislike the inability to play in 2M if you have found a 4-4 fit.
I dislike responder playing the 4-4 major fit. (note 1)
I dislike the idea of opener showing doubleton spades when responder has not shown spade length. (note 2)

Note 1 : If you invert responder's major bids, as you suggest, I don't think you can find a heart fit unless GF.
Note 2 : When responder has shown 4+ but unknown spade length, it is different.

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-23, 09:31

fromageGB, on 2014-October-23, 04:05, said:

No, this will never be adopted by anyone. Having different methods for each major makes it too complicated.

I have in fact tried it, and all of my partners go along with it!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-23, 09:32

Dup please delete.

#19 User is offline   fbear 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-October-27, 06:17

helene_t, on 2014-October-23, 04:17, said:

If you want 2M to be forcing you may as well invert them to make opener declare more often.

Thank you. I think people sometimes assume the worse about others when they don't agree with them or they make assumptions about them without actually bothering to exercise a little tolerance and patience. This is sadly why there is so much conflict in the world, because opinionated people think the rest of the world should believe what and behave the way they do.

If someone doesn't agree with someone or doesn't think their questions deserve attention, I think they should just ignore them rather than be sarcastic, abusive and dismissive.

I'd ignored the sarcastic comment about leading to the auction FromageGB presented as they hadn't bothered to think about the kind of hand responder may have for the auction 1NT-2C-2D-2H-3NT. As responder my partner and I bid this way holding S KQ10xx H KJxx D xx C xx as 2H will elicit whether opener holds a 4 card heart suit or 3 card spade suit.

It's easy to criticise and suggest this thread may get 'ugly' in a confrontational and threatening way when people are separated by copper wire and the ether, I wonder how many would behave this way in person ?

It was not my intention to invite abuse, so my apologies if anyone thought it deserved it.

#20 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-27, 06:56

There are many ways to say the same thing, and everybody knows that. So how you do it is really a matter of choice.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users