BBO Discussion Forums: Minor Lebensohl wrinkle - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minor Lebensohl wrinkle Cater to 4OM invite rather than 5OM invite?

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-21, 10:46

Starting with this sequence...

1N (2H natural)

...standard Lebensohl gives you ways to show: (A) 4 game-force hand with stopper (3 after 2N), (B) 4 game-force w/o stopper (direct 3), © 5 game-force (direct 3), and (D) 5 invite (3 after 2N).

It does not give you a way to show (E) a 4 invitational hand.

Isn't hand type (E) more common than (D)? Why wouldn't you use the 3 after 2N to show (E) rather than (D)?

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-21, 10:53

I think most folks are content to double 2H...negative, by their terminology, with an invite containing only 4 spades. Then, they still can have all the other stuff you mentioned.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-21, 10:55

IMO, assume partner has a decent (not exceptional, not qucky) but decent 15. Decide if you want to be in game opposite that. Bid accordingly. Invites at the 3 level at MP are often the worst of both worlds. It's a bit like a shove-or-fold decision in poker.... the middle ground is worse than either.

#4 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-21, 11:04

View Postbd71, on 2014-October-21, 10:46, said:

Starting with this sequence...

1N (2H natural)

...standard Lebensohl gives you ways to show: (A) 4 game-force hand with stopper (3 after 2N), (B) 4 game-force w/o stopper (direct 3), © 5 game-force (direct 3), and (D) 5 invite (3 after 2N).

It does not give you a way to show (E) a 4 invitational hand.

Isn't hand type (E) more common than (D)? Why wouldn't you use the 3 after 2N to show (E) rather than (D)?

Because partner has no way to decline the invite in type (E) with 2-3 spades. Pass lands you in a 4-3 fit, and any bid puts you in game.

In type (D), partner could be stuck with 2 spades, but the 5-2 fit is usually more playable than a 4-3 fit (when the shorter hand has no singleton).

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-21, 21:51

If you play double for take-out, none of these obscure Lebensohl sequences are necessary holding a normal hand with four spades. Just double, and if partner bids 2 raise to three.

Now you can use the the two cue bids to show extremely distributional hands on which you can't stand partner passing the double. I would use the direct cue to show a three suiter with a void, and the delayed cue to show the minors. With an extreme spade plus minor hand, you can use leaping Michaels.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 04:02

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-October-21, 21:51, said:

If you play double for take-out, none of these obscure Lebensohl sequences are necessary holding a normal hand with four spades. Just double, and if partner bids 2 raise to three.

Now you can use the the two cue bids to show extremely distributional hands on which you can't stand partner passing the double. I would use the direct cue to show a three suiter with a void, and the delayed cue to show the minors. With an extreme spade plus minor hand, you can use leaping Michaels.

Interesting, I like that.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 06:55

I'd want a sense of how reliably P's 2 will have 4 to rely on that. As opener, with less than 5 cards in a minor or 4-4 in both, I'd often prefer bidding 2 on a three card suit. That means typically on either 33(43), also 3433 assuming not such good Hs that he feels like passing, and ditto on both 34(42)s.

Do you think that's misguided? At MPs I think it must be winning bridge - even at IMPs, as long as P's on the same wavelength, it feels like the best strategy. Bidding 3m on some mediocre 4-card suit seems to land you in a Moyesian a level higher (and scoring an IMP fewer even if you make) too often for my blood, when P just felt like competing with eg 42(43). And let's face it, most of us are prone to competing in such positions on shapely 4333s...
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 08:04

It's not great if opener can bid 2 on a 3-card suit and responder can leave it in with 3-card support as well. I think it's better that opener doesn't do it but that responder does. Especially if opener is allowed to have five spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 13:53

This is intended as a legitimate question: Does it matter whether the Double guarantees any number of Spades from 4 to zero, as long as it shows invitational + values? Seems like the continuations will cover the cases.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users