• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stop Card Problem

#1 User is offline   kb49 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-18, 03:15

EBU

My partner opened 1C. Right hand opponent bid 2D. I bid 1NT (insufficient bid). It was not accepted. I then bid 2NT. I went down two. It was totally my fault and I should have been paying attention. However, I would like to clarify the situation in case a similar problem occurs in the future. Right hand opponent did not put down the Stop Card before bidding 2D. Had he done so it is unlikely that I would have made an insufficient bid. Had I called the Director immediately that I bid the 1NT what would be the ruling? I realise a Stop Card is not a call but there must be some ruling regarding it not being used at the appropriate time.

#2 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-18, 04:31

A score is adjusted if an infraction damages the non-offenders. A TD or Appeals Committee will give the benefit of the doubt to the non-offending side and will adjust the score in its favour if they feel it has gone wrong as a result of pressures created by an infraction. [Laws 12;23;84 -directors' discretionary powers; awareness of potential damage; ruling on agreed facts, director's option]

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-18, 05:41

kb49, on 2014-October-18, 03:15, said:

Had I called the Director immediately that I bid the 1NT what would be the ruling?

When did you call the director?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2014-October-18, 06:19

Although the lack of a stop card is against EBU recommended procedure (page 11 of the White book) there is no irregularity in the laws themselves if it is not used and law 21A presumably kicks in. "No rectification or redress is due to a player who acts on the basis of his own misunderstanding". At best a procedural penalty might be considered.

You (or someone) should have called the director immediately (9B) once the insufficient bid had been made and attention drawn to it since you have other options than just making it good (assuming 2NT is also natural) if it is not accepted - and the director would have explained these before the bid was accepted/ rejected.

('should' - failure is an infraction jeopardising the infractor's rights but not often penalised)

Had you called the director immediately he would have a) asked everyone to be quiet, (to avoid giving UI) then

b) explained to your LHO that he has the ability to accept the bid (27A), but if he does not then he will ask you (away from the table) whether you wish to replace it with a bid of the same denomination at the lowest permissible level (if natural) when there would be no further rectification (unless the NOS were damaged) (27B1a), replace it with a call that is more precise than the bid you made was intended to be (if one is available)(27B1b) or replace it with another bid or pass (27b2) (double is not acceptable (27B3) unless it has a more precise meaning than the insufficient bid (27b1b)) in which case your partner would be silenced for the rest of the auction, lead penalties might ensue and an adjusted score might be applied if he believes you could have known when you made the irregularity that this could damage the other side. He would also advise your LHO that he must make his decision without consulting his partner (10C1) before knowing how you will change your call.

Note that the call you make has to SHOW a hand more precisely than the insufficient bid. You do not need to have the actual hand you describe - but you cannot have a system where replacing an insufficient bid with, say, the lowest sufficient bid shows the same hand as the insufficient bid.

c) assuming LHO does not accept the bid, he then does what he has just said he would do.

Once you make the 2NT replacement bid then the Director cannot give you any of the other options back when he arrives at the table (27C)

In fact you should make it good practice to call the Director whenever attention is drawn to an irregularity - most bridge players do NOT know how the laws are applied and those that do probably don't know all the ramifications. On no account accept 'explanations' from your opponents. No one should regard a call to the Director as being 'cheating' (unless under 73B2) 'putting pressure on' or being rude or unfriendly. Many altercations at the table stem from arguments resulting when the TD was not called at the appropriate time, to the detriment of the enjoyment of the game by the players at one, or probably more, tables.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 08:15

weejonnie, on 2014-October-18, 06:19, said:

Although the lack of a stop card is against EBU recommended procedure (page 11 of the White book) there is no irregularity in the laws themselves if it is not used and law 21A presumably kicks in. "No rectification or redress is due to a player who acts on the basis of his own misunderstanding". At best a procedural penalty might be considered.

You (or someone) should have called the director immediately (9B) once the insufficient bid had been made and attention drawn to it since you have other options than just making it good (assuming 2NT is also natural) if it is not accepted - and the director would have explained these before the bid was accepted/ rejected.

('should' - failure is an infraction jeopardising the infractor's rights but not often penalised)

Instead of reading the White Book, which is for TDs rather than players, OP may rely on the published EBU Bidding Box regulations where it says (with my emphasis), "Before making a jump bid (i.e. a bid at a higher level than the minimum required) a player must place the Stop card in front of him, then place his call as usual, and eventually remove the Stop card."
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-18, 08:41

paulg, on 2014-October-18, 08:15, said:

Instead of reading the White Book, which is for TDs rather than players, OP may rely on the published EBU Bidding Box regulations where it says (with my emphasis), "Before making a jump bid (i.e. a bid at a higher level than the minimum required) a player must place the Stop card in front of him, then place his call as usual, and eventually remove the Stop card."

I wish it went further and stipulated that if the Stop card is removed prematurely, LHO is not deemed to have created UI no matter what tempo they make their next call. Although the real problem is people bidding before the Stop card is removed.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-18, 08:48

Instead of reading the White Book, which is for TDs rather than players,

A lot is in there that players need though. When the Tangerine Book was created, I thought that the EBU (if there is any oversight of the L&EC) had a golden opportunity to create an expanded Orange Book so that serious players could learn more about the regulations and applications of the Laws. Unfortunately this opportunity was allowed to slip by.

So now these serious players need to have a White Book, which they must also print out themselves.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-October-18, 09:31

weejonnie, on 2014-October-18, 06:19, said:

Although the lack of a stop card is against EBU recommended procedure (page 11 of the White book) there is no irregularity in the laws themselves if it is not used and law 21A presumably kicks in. "No rectification or redress is due to a player who acts on the basis of his own misunderstanding". At best a procedural penalty might be considered ....

Vampyr, on 2014-October-18, 08:48, said:

A lot is in there that players need though. When the Tangerine Book was created, I thought that the EBU (if there is any oversight of the L&EC) had a golden opportunity to create an expanded Orange Book so that serious players could learn more about the regulations and applications of the Laws. Unfortunately this opportunity was allowed to slip by. So now these serious players need to have a White Book, which they must also print out themselves.
IMO L23 might also apply but I agree with vampyr that it would be clearer and simpler for players if the rules of bridge were collected into one book, rather than spread over WBF laws/minutes and local blue books/white books/COCs/misc regulations :)

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-18, 10:11

nige1, on 2014-October-18, 09:31, said:

IMO L23 might also apply but I agree with vampyr that it would be clearer and simpler for players if the rules of bridge were collected into one book, rather than spread over WBF laws/minutes, and local blue books/white books/COCs/misc regulations.

I didn't say that, I said that details of all of the EBU regulations should be in a book intended for players and not directors.

Obviously the WBF minutes that pertain to the Laws should be collected in one place. I don't know how the WBFLC think that people are aware of/can find them considering how poorly they are disseminated.

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-October-18, 10:21

Vampyr, on 2014-October-18, 10:11, said:

I didn't say that, I said that details of all of the EBU regulations should be in a book intended for players and not directors. Obviously the WBF minutes that pertain to the Laws should be collected in one place. I don't know how the WBFLC think that people are aware of/can find them considering how poorly they are disseminated.
Please forgive me, Vampyr. It was a feeble joke. I've inserted a belated smiley. Sorry.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-19, 01:43

Going back to the original question, AIUI the purpose of the Stop card is to remind the next player to hesitate. It's not intended to warn them to look more carefully at the bid so that they notice that it's a level higher than they expected.

If you had bid too quickly, the lack of a Stop card would be taken into account when ruling on potential UI from the failure to maintain proper tempo (note that this does not apply in ACBL -- our Stop card regulation says that the player is required to pause even if the skip bidder fails to use it). But there's no similar indemnification for insufficient bids.

#12 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2014-October-19, 03:57

But there is no prescribed penalty in the EBU regulations about not using the stop card - thus there is no rectification available for the NOS - which is why I suggested a procedural penalty since it comes obviously under 'violates correct procedure' 90A

I suppose a sympathetic TD might use 12A1 (judges that the laws do not provide indemnity to the NOS for the type of violation committed by the opponent)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-October-19, 05:51

weejonnie, on 2014-October-19, 03:57, said:

But there is no prescribed penalty in the EBU regulations about not using the stop card - thus there is no rectification available for the NOS - which is why I suggested a procedural penalty since it comes obviously under 'violates correct procedure' 90A

I suppose a sympathetic TD might use 12A1 (judges that the laws do not provide indemnity to the NOS for the type of violation committed by the opponent)

He might, but he would be wrong to do so, since Law 23 does in fact provide indemnity to the NOS for this particular type of violation.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-October-19, 05:54

barmar, on 2014-October-19, 01:43, said:

Going back to the original question, AIUI the purpose of the Stop card is to remind the next player to hesitate. It's not intended to warn them to look more carefully at the bid so that they notice that it's a level higher than they expected.

But if an opponent's failure to follow proper procedure contributes to your mis-seeing the auction, haven't you been damaged?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-19, 14:37

gnasher, on 2014-October-19, 05:54, said:

But if an opponent's failure to follow proper procedure contributes to your mis-seeing the auction, haven't you been damaged?

I don't think so. If he held his hand over the bidding card to make it hard to see, that might constitute such damage (although you can easily ask him to move his hand).

Your inattention to the bidding card is the primary reason you mis-saw the auction. Perhaps the improper procedure made it more likely, but it's hardly causative.

#16 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-19, 15:46

gnasher, on 2014-October-19, 05:51, said:

He might, but he would be wrong to do so, since Law 23 does in fact provide indemnity to the NOS for this particular type of violation.

I think the stop card is designed to prevent you from giving UI to your partner, not to help you notice whether the bid is a jump bid. We can't have every SB making an insufficient bid because you did not use the stop card, and then expecting a free correction. And, judging by the number of stop cards missing at some clubs, there would be Law 23 adjustments every day of the week if we followed that approach.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-19, 16:43

barmar, on 2014-October-19, 14:37, said:

I don't think so. If he held his hand over the bidding card to make it hard to see, that might constitute such damage (although you can easily ask him to move his hand).

Your inattention to the bidding card is the primary reason you mis-saw the auction. Perhaps the improper procedure made it more likely, but it's hardly causative.

Yesterday, at one table, I was dummy on two of three boards. Three times I asked my LHO to hold or place her cards so I could see them (she had a habit holding them tilted in my partner's direction). The first time she said "oh, sorry" and flashed it at me for about half a second. After that, she ignored me. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-October-19, 17:20

weejonnie, on 2014-October-19, 03:57, said:

gnasher said:

lamford, on 2014-October-19, 15:46, said:

I think the stop card is designed to prevent you from giving UI to your partner, not to help you notice whether the bid is a jump bid. We can't have every SB making an insufficient bid because you did not use the stop card, and then expecting a free correction. And, judging by the number of stop cards missing at some clubs, there would be Law 23 adjustments every day of the week if we followed that approach.

My point was that whatever redress the NOS are entitled to is already provided by Law 23, so they're not entitled to a second bite of the cherry via Law 12A1. That's true even if applying Law 23 leads to no redress.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-19, 18:17

What a miserable excuse. Sorry, I would be embarrassed to even mention it after my own mistake.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-19, 20:18

aguahombre, on 2014-October-19, 18:17, said:

What a miserable excuse. Sorry, I would be embarrassed to even mention it after my own mistake.

I have a bit more sympathy. An opponent's making a skip bid without using the Stop card is highly unusual and unexpected. We have all been in attentive at times. But I really am curious as to when the director was called.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users