Anyone Find This Grand

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-October-18, 02:27

anyone finding 7c here?

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 02:53

This is tricky:

1-1N(NF)
3-4
4(KC)-4(1)
4N(Q?)-5N(yes and something that isn't a side K that you might be interested in)
7(must be Q then)

Although particularly at MPs I can easily believe 3 instead of 4 and now I don't think you can get back into clubs playing what I play.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 03:32

well it's a good hand for acol (yes, some exist).

1s-2c-3h-4s-4nt(ideally 6-ace as you've shown a double fit) etc

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 04:00

Good one for Fantunes, too. Same start as wank's, though I wouldn't know what 4 meant or expect my partner to 'know' it the same as me if I did (I'd also be worried as E that W might have 3433, so I'd like to keep it clear that s are the agreed suit). Once we check on keycards, we play E's 6 as 'bid up with one of the top three honours in the suit'.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-October-18, 05:00

I have a tool from my cue bidding book which makes this trivial. After a simple start of a 1S opening and 2S raise, Opener bids 3C as a natural game or slam try. Now the trick. Responder bids 3NT accepting. 3NT by Responder artificially agrees game while also showing 4-card support for Opener's second suit.

Opener can now bid 4C. No matter what suit Opener shows (and Responder also supports), 4C as one up over 3NT agrees that second suit, shows slam interest, and asks for more information about controls/keys. Finding 7d is trivial from there.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 05:53

I woudl find it with strong club if they don't overcall hearts, west's shape is know at 3 then 4 = 1 keycard in clubs, 4 = Q with no K, and Q is asked in 2 steps just with 5NT, 1 level higher and I would be unable since the asking would be already over 6. Why do forum problems always end up with the exact number of steps and real problems end up 1 level too high?

The problem is that with Q missing it is a 5/7 hand so perhaps you shouldn't even ask for it?.

I mean, once I know partner has xxx Axx xxx Qxxx and something else that is not K blasting 7 might be the best shot specially when thye don't have a clue what to lead.

The full asking bidding if you wonder:

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-October-18, 06:27

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-October-18, 05:00, said:

I have a tool from my cue bidding book which makes this trivial. After a simple start of a 1S opening and 2S raise, Opener bids 3C as a natural game or slam try. Now the trick. Responder bids 3NT accepting. 3NT by Responder artificially agrees game while also showing 4-card support for Opener's second suit.

That seems like a rather expensive toy, given that most of the time opener has a game-try rather than a slam try. After 1-2;3-3NT;4, the hand on lead knows that there are probably no ruffs in dummy, and probably no discards on a long suit from dummy. With club length and a likely entry elsewhere, he knows to lead a club and arrange a ruff. With Axx, he knows to lead a low club.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-October-18, 11:31

View Postgnasher, on 2014-October-18, 06:27, said:

That seems like a rather expensive toy, given that most of the time opener has a game-try rather than a slam try. After 1-2;3-3NT;4, the hand on lead knows that there are probably no ruffs in dummy, and probably no discards on a long suit from dummy. With club length and a likely entry elsewhere, he knows to lead a club and arrange a ruff. With Axx, he knows to lead a low club.

Sure, it could help the defense. But, slam makes with that type of layout with about 28 combined HCP. Win somw, lose some. I win this one.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-October-18, 16:21

I have a similar toy as Ken. After 1S-2S-3C, I use...FOUR CLUBS to show a game acceptance with club support. I also play the gadget of bidding 3NT with a maximum and strong holdings in the red suits.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 17:04

View Postcherdano, on 2014-October-18, 16:21, said:

I have a similar toy as Ken. After 1S-2S-3C, I use...FOUR CLUBS to show a game acceptance with club support. I also play the gadget of bidding 3NT with a maximum and strong holdings in the red suits.

loled.

You still probably need 6KC blackwood to reach 7 since you need to find out about both queens.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#11 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-October-18, 17:11

View Postcherdano, on 2014-October-18, 16:21, said:

There actually is a reason to use 3NT which is not silly.

First, Opener never bids a new suit game/slam try unless slammish or very suit oriented, opting for 2NT as a general game try with most hands. So, 3NT is never to play.

Second, and most importantly when the second suit is hearts, 3NT saves space when slam oriented. Even 4C agreeing clubs loses what is a valuable step.

Third, again most important when hearts secondary (I tend to be consistent with structure), 3NT as a power raise allows 4 of the suit as non-power. Thus, after spades agreed and then hearts mentioned by Opener, 3NT is a power heart raise but 4H a weaker choice bid.

-P.J. Painter.

#12 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-October-18, 17:33

No chance of getting to clubs after 1 2 for me. I don't think a 3334 hand with some soft cards is worth an upgrade to a 2 response.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#13 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 18:23

perhaps:

1s=2s
3c=4c
4d?=4s
4nt=6c
6d?=7c

2s=constructive(roughly 8-11 and 3 card support)
3c=long suit game try
4d=rkc in clubs
4s=1-4
4nt=qclub ask
6c=qc deny outside kings.
6d=?grand try
7c=I got the qs I Hope that is enough.

not sure 4d should be kickback for clubs here though so this feels pretty double dummy.

#14 User is offline   codger 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-19, 04:11

In Bidding Naturally (Batsford, 1979), Joe Amsbury gives a very similar pair of hands:

J93
AQ3
QJ84

A
AKQ1087
AK103

Back in the day strong-twos ruled, at least in Amsbury's world, and he bid 2 - 3; 5 - 5; 5NT - 7; with the only annotation, "All quite smooth".

I had the memory which now appears to be false, that he credited this sequence to the Sharples brothers but though I have the book, I can't find that.

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-19, 10:50

This is a classic bbf thread

Both hands are known and, guess what, lots of players claim that they would have no trouble at all reaching grand.

BBF attracts a lot of players who bid extremely well when they know both hands.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-October-19, 11:33

View Postmikeh, on 2014-October-19, 10:50, said:

This is a classic bbf thread

Both hands are known and, guess what, lots of players claim that they would have no trouble at all reaching grand.

BBF attracts a lot of players who bid extremely well when they know both hands.

I don't understand why this is a tricky hand, susceptible to creative double dummy bidding. Responder simply raises each suit. Opener takes it from there.

I mean, I prefer my own personal method. But, using simple bridge, 2S and then 4C is an easy way to get to slam, and Opener only needs 3 toes.

-P.J. Painter.

#17 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-21, 02:54

I hadn't thought about this until now, but one of my regular Ps thought the E hand was worth a 2 opening on the grounds that a) it has more quick tricks than losers (one of his heuristics), and b) it's easy to construct hands that would pass 1 and make 4 - xxx xxxx xxx QJx, for eg.

I'm notoriously conservative when it comes to 2 openers, so thought I'd forward the question straight here - how far (if at all) from a 2 opener do you consider E's hand?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-October-21, 03:39

View PostJinksy, on 2014-October-21, 02:54, said:

I hadn't thought about this until now, but one of my regular Ps thought the E hand was worth a 2 opening on the grounds that a) it has more quick tricks than losers (one of his heuristics), and b) it's easy to construct hands that would pass 1 and make 4 - xxx xxxx xxx QJx, for eg.

I'm notoriously conservative when it comes to 2 openers, so thought I'd forward the question straight here - how far (if at all) from a 2 opener do you consider E's hand?

Quite a long way, for light 2 openings, I like a suit I know I can play in. You are very vulnerable to preemption with this sort of hand, and likely to be taking a complete guess as to which suit to play in if the auction is at the 5 level when it gets back to you.

#19 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-October-21, 04:55

2C opening sucks because of the parallel to the high reverse problem. You likely have an easy first rebid, but any red suit call preempts clubs.

That said, the high reverse problem will often emerge anyway in some form. If the auction is 2/1, you cannot show strength well. If 1NT, 3C is often artificial.

The one upside to the one-level opening is that the raise makes club bids real.

-P.J. Painter.

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-November-02, 04:53

East has an hand valutated in 19 points (and with 3 Aces and 2 Kings i wonder myself if doesn't think to slam) After 1 West 2 tells double fit and 12 (almost) points and all is easy.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users