• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Concealed fit

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-17, 20:53

MP, best hand South, Instant, Pro GIB 30

From North's viewpoint we are known to have *precisely* a 7 card Spade fit, and *at least* a 7 card Club fit (could easily be a 9 card Club fit)

Would not 2C be a better bid than 2S?

Not sure that I am that keen on support double in this situation, but I bow to others on that.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-October-17, 21:28

2 makes it harder for opps to rebid diamonds and score up 110 or 130 instead of the 100 that they actually got... I'd also think 1NT should show a stop in spades rather than in clubs.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-18, 00:11

Point. Although I think perhaps that you are crediting GIB with too much intelligence.

And if we are unsuccessful in buying it in 2S we are poorer placed to judge whether to let them have 3D.

A bit surprised that West did not overcall 2D

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 11:32

I would prefer 2C also. The basic bridge concept of length preference is very difficult for GIB for some reason. Often it passes a second suit with the same or even fewer cards than in the first suit.

Or a hand I was the beneficiary of in a tournament recently. W was 5215 and passed, 1S by N, 2S by E, double by me as S. W somewhat strangely bid 2NT asking for the minor. When E bid 3D, I doubled and W passed! Plus 1400 for me, the hand plays much better in Hearts, not surprisingly although I was doubling that as well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users