• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Colour Symbols for Suits

#1 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-17, 10:38

I suggest that in all places suit symbols are used on BBO use the colours used in bbo forum editor.

with many people using tablets writing is small. I find the bidding is the problem but I suspect its easier to do for all cases

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-17, 15:48

As I have done so many times before when similar suggestions have been made, allow me to point out that a significant number of men have some form of color blindness and this proposal creates a problem for us (or rather problems - different forms of color blindness will have different issues).

If there is a problem with reading the symbols, please address that in a more appropriate manner and reserve color for making things pretty!
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-October-17, 17:15

View PostBillHiggin, on 2014-October-17, 15:48, said:

As I have done so many times before when similar suggestions have been made, allow me to point out that a significant number of men have some form of color blindness and this proposal creates a problem for us (or rather problems - different forms of color blindness will have different issues). If there is a problem with reading the symbols, please address that in a more appropriate manner and reserve color for making things pretty!
Colour is a useful extra clue for most people. Some colour-blind players might not benefit but few are likely to object.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-17, 18:13

What about as an display option?

then if its a problem u can turn off feature.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 18:14

View Postnige1, on 2014-October-17, 17:15, said:

Colour is a useful extra clue for most people. Some colour-blind players might not benefit but few are likely to object.

At least one HAS objected (me).
The orange diamond symbol becomes nearly invisible, the light green club symbol is a problem but not so much as the diamond symbol. Pick different colors and it will simply be different people who have the most trouble.
Do not do this without an option to disable it (and current policy seems to be to not utilize options).

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-19, 00:50

View PostBillHiggin, on 2014-October-17, 18:14, said:

At least one HAS objected (me).
The orange diamond symbol becomes nearly invisible, the light green club symbol is a problem but not so much as the diamond symbol. Pick different colors and it will simply be different people who have the most trouble.
Do not do this without an option to disable it (and current policy seems to be to not utilize options).

I thought color-blindness means that some pairs of colors are hard to distinguish. This is the first I've heard of some colors disappearing entirely.

Most bidding box cards use this 4-color system, do you have the same objection to them?

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-October-19, 04:01

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-19, 00:50, said:

I thought color-blindness means that some pairs of colors are hard to distinguish. This is the first I've heard of some colors disappearing entirely.

Most bidding box cards use this 4-color system, do you have the same objection to them?

Disappearing and indistinguishable from the background are practically the same thing.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#8 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-October-19, 04:02

The bidding is hard to read.

In the hand diagrams in some conditions I cannot tell easily the spades from the clubs. Resize options are limited.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#9 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-19, 05:14

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-19, 00:50, said:

I have only played once when bidding boxes were in use. As I recall, the symbols were large and therefore not a real problem. The problems for me involve small symbol size and are most pronounced with lighter colors (I am not a pastel lover). When driving at night, green traffic lights at a distance are indistinguishable from normal street lights (fortunately, running a green light does not attract much police attention).

While writing this, I see the four color card symbols above the edit area. It looks like they are around 10 pt size. The two minor suit symbols are very faint, while the major suit symbols are distinct (note that blue is the color least likely to be affected by color blindness). When the symbol sizes are smaller, they can begin to blend with the background color (which may not even be controlled by the software directly - it can vary by device and operating system). Early versions of the web based BBO application used a shade of red that caused me trouble. The OP seemed to want the colors because of issues involving use of a tablet. For me, a 7 inch tablet is too small for even the current red - the light green and orange would be impossible. But, at least I can control the size of screen, I cannot control my color blindness.

When I first started playing on-line, I played at a site that used pastel red and green to indicate vulnerability. Before I found out how to customize their color scheme, I had to keep a red and a green piece of cellophane handy in order to determine what the vulnerability conditions were - not a pleasant experience.

#10 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-October-19, 19:01

You can put me down as a second protester.

If the goal is to make the symbols "stand out better" or be more visible to people who can't distinguish the color well, add an outline to the outside of the red symbols, perhaps. Even as a "normal-sighted" person, I prefer to see hollow hearts and diamonds (or, rarely, red interiors and black edges) over all-red ones when I am reading a book.

And yes, if we were taking polls, I would prefer the forum and the bidding boxes use red diamonds and black clubs. The 5-color bidboxes are usable, but to me, add very little to the game. (Here again, as size is no issue, I wish that a black outline of the suit symbol was standard on the bidding box symbols.)

Could be worse, though. At least we aren't talking about those decks that are still 2 colors of ink but use faded-out diamonds and clubs. Recipe for confusion and revokes even when the cards are new.

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-October-20, 14:34

Yes, those were ugly, and dangerous, as were the ones where the clubs and diamonds were outlined (in black and red respectively), and the hearts and spades were filled in.

Don't add an outline to both red suits - add an outline to the minors. It's not missing the red v the black, it's the "he just noticed his clubs were *also* spades" issue.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users