• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-16, 11:30

(um... let's call it competitive?)

P P P X /
P P P

At this stage the director is called.

This actually happened to a friend of mine several years ago (he somehow attracts this kind of thing...). The director at the time ruled that the person in 3rd was playing in 0NTx. When they duly made on the nose, they scored 0*2 for the tricks above the book, plus 50 for the part score, plus 50 for the insult.

I've never heard of a director who agreed with the ruling, but I don't think I've ever heard what it should actually be. (let's assume modern laws for the sake of an easy life)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 11:34

2 x 0 = 0

I think it's a pass out, in which case someone should probably have redoubled (which still comes to zero).

#3 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-16, 11:50

This is clearly stated in Law 36A. The double and everything after it is cancelled and the auction reverts to the doubler.

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 12:51

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-October-16, 11:34, said:

2 x 0 = 0

Yes, I was just describing the scoring method used at the time - otherwise it might not be clear how someone scored 100.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 18:05

So far as I know, the laws of contract have never allowed playing in 0NT, doubled or otherwise. I doubt that ruling was ever legal.

As said upthread, Law 36A governs, but Law 19A1 is also germane:

Law 19A1: A player may double only the last preceding bid. That bid must have been made by an opponent, and calls other than pass must not have intervened.

Law 36A: If offender’s LHO calls before rectification of an inadmissible double or redouble the inadmissible call and all subsequent calls are canceled. The auction reverts to the player whose turn it was to call and proceeds as though there had been no irregularity. The lead restrictions in Law 26 do not apply.

Note: pass is a call, it is not a bid. There were no bids in the given auction, which is why Law 19A1 applies and the double is inadmissible.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 18:08

50 for the insult is cool, but zero isn't a part score. So, the total is 50. Don't pay any attention to those SB's and their rulebook.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 21:12

#8 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 03:05

View Postjeffford76, on 2014-October-16, 11:50, said:

This is clearly stated in Law 36A. The double and everything after it is cancelled and the auction reverts to the doubler.

But SB will argue that there could be a law 23 adjustment if the director decides that 4th in hand could have been aware that his infraction would benefit his side. SB would argue that 4th in hand has now learned that the two opponents would not bid on the second round after the auction P P P X or after the auction P P P X P, so they probably do not have a five-card major. SB would further argue that under 72B1, a player must not infringe a Law intentionally, and this breach of 19A1 was clearly intentional, unless 4th in hand selects a Pass, in the same area of the bidding box. Selecting any bid would strongly suggest a breach of 72B1. SB would further argue that any replacement call must not use the UI that partner would have passed after the withdrawn auction P P P X P P. SB would further argue .... (at this point men in white coats whisk SB away).
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 05:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-October-16, 18:05, said:

So far as I know, the laws of contract have never allowed playing in 0NT, doubled or otherwise. I doubt that ruling was ever legal.

More's the pity; the ruling was hilarious.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 07:33

View Postlamford, on 2014-October-17, 03:05, said:

SB would argue that 4th in hand has now learned that the two opponents would not bid on the second round after the auction P P P X or after the auction P P P X P, so they probably do not have a five-card major.

Interesting point. He can also probably rule out misfitting 10-11 counts with a misfit for P's no suits, on which they might have XXed.

#11 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 14:59

Ah, yet another of my crazy bridge hands comes to light:

"You bid by playing a card from your hand. That is the number of *tricks* (not odd tricks) you are taking, in that trump suit. Play and score normally. If the contract is lower than the 7 of clubs (== 1), score it as 50 for the partscore, plus overtricks (doubled and/or with insult as appropriate)."

Also, cue Machlin's story about the pros playing around for a round:

p-p-p-p;
1-p-1-p;
1-p-p-p

Played, making 2. "The LOL opponents probably didn't even notice when they scored it passed out on the traveller."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users