• You cannot reply to this topic

Balance? Part 1

#21 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-18, 00:42

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-October-17, 16:42, said:

I agree with you, so why are you balancing on this hand with horrible shape? Your partner is known to have 4-5 hearts and 2-3 spades. They may or may not have a fit and we will often not have a fit. It's not like we have a shapely monster we are 3244. We also have excellent defensive values and pretty bad offensive values. On top of that even with a 4-4 fit we are pretty likely to get a 4-1 break

Because my instinct tells me opps are going to make this. Maybe holding them to 8 tricks will be a good MP score, but my experience is it's won't. Agree I can easily be wrong in practice, but I won't fight my instincts and so, at these colours, think I'll give it one last try to keep destiny in my own hands.

Final note: obviously, wouldn't even dream to do if 2 only guarantees 4 cards. Nor vulnerable. At teams the profit for grabs is probably also too small for the risk.

#22 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-October-18, 02:16

2sX = zero matchpoints

I should have passed. Oh well.

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#23 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 02:55

View Posteagles123, on 2014-October-18, 02:16, said:

I should have passed. Oh well.

Although the weight of opinion is for pass, it was not unanimous. However I expect that few would have passed your double as West and that is the real cause of the result.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#24 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 03:20

Y, W's X is atrocious. Looks like 3 would be about -1 undoubled. Time to put on my results merchant glasses B-)

(ETA - having said that, if W is capable of passing that X, he's capable of passing me out in 2N, which looks less pretty)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users