• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

am I being unreasonable?

#41 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-17, 16:23

1m-1M; 2m is really ugly in standard. 11-15? A random 3163 16-count is going to bid 3? A random 1354 16-count has to bid 3? I believe that you have to strain to bid after this auction, in case partner has top of her range; which may lead to some horrible 3 contracts when partner has a misfitting minimum, but avoids the "so, I know 3 is NF, but can I afford to pass this, or is this the last undoubled spot?"

I agree 1-1; 2m is even worse.

With the original hand I would have bid 2 and then 3NT, like many above - I'm looking for 5-3 hearts. Now I'm making a stronger action, I know, than 3NT directly, and if North is looking for slam in that auction, with all those losers partner's random 13 needs to cover, then I may be in 7 when she knows I can cover the spades and the hearts.

North's hand is one of those "points are irrelevant, pd, I need controls" hands that are very hard to captain on; also hard to do something other than 1, 2, 3 on as well. Hopefully, 2NT is "forcing, and possibly artificial" after 2 so that some way to say "my diamonds are REAL, not just long" is possible. [Edit: as usual, Phantom above shows me why I should stay a TD first, player second. His logic just READS.]

P.S. slam bidding is definitely a weak part of my game.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#42 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-17, 16:33

View Postmycroft, on 2014-October-17, 16:23, said:

1m-1M; 2m is really ugly in standard. 11-15? A random 3163 16-count is going to bid 3? A random 1354 16-count has to bid 3?

Opening 1m and then jumping to 3m is mostly about suit quality and length and quality of values, rather than quantity of hcps to me. For example AKQxxx A 13 hcp is good enough for 3m while a AJxxxx suit and 15 hcp is not, at least not for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#43 User is offline   overruff42 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-17, 17:39

If you are really thinking about slam here, your rebid should have been 3D, not two. The seventh diamond is key, it allows you to play opposite a singleton, and it makes your hand worth almost eight tricks on its own. 2D is a significant underbid. Over 3D, partner will see the slam possibility, and should bid 3S or 4D. The bypass of 3NT indicates a tolerance for slam exploration, and a cue bidding sequence should get there

#44 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-October-17, 20:23

Partner is bidding like he holds only a minimum opener. (With 16+ he should have jumped or reversed at turn two.) And if I bid either red suit, I promise length I haven't got. Therefore: 3NT at IMPs, 2NT at matchpoints. If he wants to go on, it's on him.

#45 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2014-October-17, 20:59

I like this hand a lot. It highlights the underlying awkwardness - responder can't make a forcing raise in Diamonds, where there is a known 9-card fit.

Sure, 2S might work if opener bids 2N or 3C, allowing responder to bid 3D. But 3C, tho more normal, leaves responder awkwardly placed if opener rebids 3D. 3S then, to suggest club weakness? Imperfect, bec. opener might have a partial club stopper.

I think in std. you have to take your chances with 3C...

Of course opener "shouldn't" move over 3N but you can see why she's tempted to, esp. if pard might have Qxx in clubs :)

This is an awkward sequence, and I think you can't expect much in the way of accuracy

#46 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 21:06

What about opener rebidding 3N? Or should you really have AKQxxxx in diamonds for that?

#47 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-18, 00:10

View Postjillybean, on 2014-October-16, 07:56, said:

I'm North here and I'm thinking slam, not game. After I heard 3N, I pushed to slam, UNfortunately the wrong slam which was entirely my fault.

Partner and I had a good discussion about this hand afterwards, I thought the 3N bid makes it very difficult for me and if he is going to
game, why not temporize with 3 and hear what more I have to say.

Your hand is a clear pass of 3NT. I already said I do not like the 3NT bid as it might wrongside the contract. However how many times do you intend to bid your hand?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#48 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-October-18, 00:44

delete
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#49 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-18, 00:51

Although this is not the main reason for problems, I agree N hand is a 3 rebid (albeit a min one). It could go

1 1
3 ??

Now it depends on South. If she bids 3NT, stick to it. Else it might proceed

.... 3 (forcing.. you can't bid properly otherwise)
4 4 (cue.. can't be anything else)
4N 5

#50 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 03:38

View Postmycroft, on 2014-October-17, 16:23, said:

A random 1354 16-count has to bid 3?

Well no... that hand rebids 2.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#51 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 04:43

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-October-18, 00:51, said:

Although this is not the main reason for problems, I agree N hand is a 3 rebid (albeit a min one). It could go

1 1
3 ??

Now it depends on South. If she bids 3NT, stick to it. Else it might proceed

.... 3 (forcing.. you can't bid properly otherwise)
4 4 (cue.. can't be anything else)
4N 5

I would raise to 4, showing of all things, a slam try in diamonds. It also denies a club control, so when partner cues 4 I can drive to slam.

#52 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-18, 08:47

yeah 4 also gets you to slam easy.

#53 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-18, 13:03

View Postakwoo, on 2014-October-17, 21:06, said:

What about opener rebidding 3N? Or should you really have AKQxxxx in diamonds for that?

We reserve 3NT for short hearts and a prime in each of the unbid suits. The trump quality is fine for 3NT, IMO, but I don't see the point in doing it with this hand when I can bid 3D.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users