• You cannot reply to this topic

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-15, 14:24

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

R2-D2's systems diagnostic input receptors must be on the fritz again.

I really don't begrudge the IMPs won by the South who opened 1NT then super-accepted when North transferred to , even though E-W defended 4 like sand people (who leads A from Axxx when the 1NT opener is to your right?). What bothers me is North's refusal to settle for a reasonable part score contract in a known 8-card fit. North will pass if I bid 2 directly over its 1NT (risking playing 2 vulnerable with A10x opposite xxxx), so why does North bid and rebid its "suit" when my auction guarantees 4-3-1-5 or 4-3-0-6?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-October-15, 14:45

Why did you bid over 1NT?

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-15, 15:27

View PostArtK78, on 2014-October-15, 14:45, said:

Why did you bid over 1NT?
And why does the description provided for 2 indicate that it's right to do so?

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-15, 16:44

Pass, 2C and 2H all carry (different) risks over 1N. The OP paints a worst case picture of the dangers of 2H but I am not convinced that that is sufficient justification not to bid it. For example I don't think that it would be completely unreasonable for North to pass 2C on the stated hand, expecting 2-6 in H and C to be more likely than 3-5, which would not have been a success.

Descriptions aside, as a human sitting North I might envisage the possibility of game opposite a maximum opener, having found the H fit, aided by all my values in working suits.

For me, the big question is, having decided to move over 2H, why did North not bid 2S instead of 3D, and what would 2S have shown?

Over 3D, 3H by South is a reasonable alternative to 3N. If 3D is a game try, South is not really max, and by now an 8 card H fit is assured.

Was this best hand South? Passing 1H has interesting possibilities. Maybe just a bit too good for that.

PS. Well done East on finding the (only) killing lead to set it by one. That shows how close game is to being a reasonable shot. Perhaps if the Club Ace had been on the other side we would have had no story.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-15, 17:55

My link

I pulled 1NT because North's failure to bid 1 typically means that it's not 4-4 in the reds. So, if North has only 4, then it's likely to be 3-4-3-3 or even 2-4-3-4 and 2 is very likely to be a better place to play than 1NT. If North does have 4 then it's likely to have 5s and 2 is likely to be a better contract that 1NT. Note that 1NT only made (where it did) because the robots offered up several of their distinctive gifts, starting by winning the second round of s with the A instead of the 9 and abandoning the suit. See trick 2 of the display to this reply. Would anyone care to play 1NT if you have to find 3 discards from dummy at tricks 2-3-4? At matchpoints I pass 1NT because there is something to be gained from playing in the higher-risk denomination; but at IMPs where game is not in sight I go for what I think is the safer contract.

I don't understand the question about the system note since the South hand seems to match the description for the 2 call (unless it's answered by my thinking about North's hand as described above).

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-15, 18:08

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-October-15, 17:55, said:

If North does have 4 then it's likely to have 5s and 2 is likely to be a better contract that 1NT.

Knowing this fact does you little good if you languish in 2C when you have a 5-3 Heart fit, as you would opposite me. But clearly you know GIBberish better than I, as you (correctly) assumed that North would pull 2C on a singleton. Next time, when you have a 6th Club, you might not be so pleased when it does so. Perhaps in GIBberish you are expected to rebid 2C in preference to a 4 card Spade suit on such a hand. Could work I suppose, but I would expect howls in the forums.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 01:05

The problem with this hand is rebidding 2C rather than 2H.Your remark "risking playing a 4/3" is unsound. It is not your fault what hand your partner holds and bidding 2H sounds like the exact shape of what you have. Perhaps it's me who likes it when I have bid 2 suits I have them,is that not a logical process? Rebidding a simple 2H just solves your obligation to complete the discription of what you have.

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-16, 09:13

View Postmcphee, on 2014-October-16, 01:05, said:

The problem with this hand is rebidding 2C rather than 2H.Your remark "risking playing a 4/3" is unsound. It is not your fault what hand your partner holds and bidding 2H sounds like the exact shape of what you have. Perhaps it's me who likes it when I have bid 2 suits I have them,is that not a logical process? Rebidding a simple 2H just solves your obligation to complete the discription of what you have.

Gib is giving itself pts for its shortness in a suit partner is known to have 5-cards in. This is just bad in-out evaluation and Fred should suggest correction by programmers .
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users