• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How would you bid this? Big hand but opps intervene

#1 User is offline   ochinko 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cooking

Posted 2014-October-14, 09:09

I've had some some bitter complaints about GIB's bidding, but not this time, when we scored 14.5 imps in a robot tourney :)

All_hands

I don't know about GIB, but I wasn't completely sure what I was doing.

Results aside, do you approve of the bidding, and what do you think the thought process should be from both sides?

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2014-October-14, 10:45

You had a great result. I was thinking I might have played 6NT. 3 should be forcing and over 4 you'd have to ask for KC in order to ask about kings.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-14, 11:25

obviously north is on the silicic equivalent of crack

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-14, 21:36

IMO GIB was deliberately trying to get to the wrong contract in order to get a system overhaul.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-15, 13:10

I see no fault with your bidding. GIB takes reverses VERY seriously - you will get in trouble if you stretch for them. You had a complete maximum this time, but many would bid the same if the DK were a small card.

#6 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-15, 14:34

View Postochinko, on 2014-October-14, 09:09, said:

I've had some some bitter complaints about GIB's bidding, but not this time, when we scored 14.5 imps in a robot tourney :)

All_hands

Results aside, do you approve of the bidding, and what do you think the thought process should be from both sides?

I've come across some very strange biddings also and I've thought of posting some of them here. Right now unfortunately I don't have much to offer. Something I can only quote from memory - so I may get some details wrong - went approximately this way:

RHO opens 1. I hold a long suit, too strong to preempt, so:

1 - 2 - 2 - 3
3 - pass - 4 - pass
pass - 5 - pass - 6
X - pass - pass - pass

6X went down several times and was a pretty bad score, 5 undoubled would have been a shared top, iirc. I didn't want to drive opps into full game, so I passed in the second round. But when they reached 4 I found it was time to defend. When I tried to find out why my partner raised to 6, I found that my 5 bid carried a 25+ total points label. Given that, the raise to 6 was just logical. The label 25+ though was not logical considering my pass in the round before, after which the bidding might have stopped.

I guess something similar happened to you. Just imagine your partner bids 4 promising 25+ or 27+ total points. These things happen. You sit on 12 HCP. Do you bother checking for KCs or will you just bid 7 right away? (I'm not suggesting 4 should show 25+ or 27+ points here. I'm just saying it might anyway. ;) )

This is something I see pretty often when I check results and see people reach a strange slam. That a bid obviously given in defense carries a high-point label, and then partner robot jumps to the ceiling.

Something similar often happens to my robot opponents. They find a fit on the 2 level, the bidding goes pass - pass, then I do something, LHO raises to 3, RHO raises to 4. Always looks like a safe time to double. But DO check the label of the double before you do because often your double is labeled for takeout and partner will bid 5 of your suit :( !

Obviously there is room for improvement in the competitive bidding sequences.

#7 User is offline   myrg 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-15, 21:51

All_hands

No. If you are not playing Precision, why on earth would you open a 2 loser hand 1C? You're correct, you have no idea what you're doing.

#8 User is offline   myrg 

• Pip

Posted 2014-October-15, 22:21

A correct sequence.
2C (game force), (2H), 3C, p, 3D, p, 4D, whatever slam bidding, you prefer. What's the prpblem?

#9 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-15, 23:23

View Postmyrg, on 2014-October-15, 21:51, said:

No. If you are not playing Precision, why on earth would you open a 2 loser hand 1C? You're correct, you have no idea what you're doing.

FWIW, Ochinko has a BBOSkill rating of 2137, which suggests otherwise. I wonder who we could look up next for comparison?

#10 User is offline   Ace0Spades 

• Pip

Posted 2014-October-15, 23:43

All_hands

I don't hate 1C. You need a raise from partner to make 5C, and someone bids hearts most of the time.

After 1C-2H-2N-P you should be suspecting 12 or 13 tricks in clubs or diamonds if you find a fit. Parter has 10-12 pts, didn't double and has likely a lot of room for cards in the minors.

After 3D-P-3H-P-you can either A) just bid 7D since you're a strong favorite or check again with 5H-P-5S (0 keys outside of H, no Q or extra length) - P - 5NT (Other Ks?) - 7D (I have everything and the kitchen sink).

#11 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 01:20

I would risk opening 1C and doubt it will be passed out. I just have no idea how I would be able to show the hand if I started with 2C. On the auction I think your buddy GIB had too much sugar today.

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 04:04

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-October-15, 23:23, said:

FWIW, Ochinko has a BBOSkill rating of 2137, which suggests otherwise. I wonder who we could look up next for comparison?

Nice gadget! Do you know anything about it besides what it says on the site? (ie what language it's written in?)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 04:14

View PostJinksy, on 2014-October-16, 04:04, said:

Nice gadget! Do you know anything about it besides what it says on the site? (ie what language it's written in?)

It's probably not a very good guide but it is possible to tell if someone is terrible or decent - beyond that I don't know.

#14 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 10:29

View Postmyrg, on 2014-October-15, 21:51, said:

I enjoy reading these forums so I can learn about bridge from the experts. What is a 2 loser hand and how is that evaluated?

#15 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 11:58

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-October-15, 23:23, said:

This is the first I have heard of a BBO skill rating. How does one look it up and what is an "average" rating?

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 12:56

http://bboskill.com

It looks pretty new. I'm certainly looking forward to using it for tournaments and brackish BBO Ps.

Also I realise this is lowering the tone Phil set implicitly, but I couldn't resist looking up our new star player:

Nickname: myrg
Rating: 946

Beginner+

:lol:

#17 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 16:48

It's actually pretty old. I think BBO blocked it from looking up results so it doesn't update anymore (I could be wrong). IIRC it was slowing the BBO servers down a lot by always searching for results or something. Doesn't seem cool to make fun of someone for their bboskill score but I guess myrg brought it on himself. I prefer PKs way of just implying it
The artist formerly known as jlall

#18 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-18, 03:43

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-October-17, 16:48, said:

It's actually pretty old. I think BBO blocked it from looking up results so it doesn't update anymore (I could be wrong).

That's a shame. It would be a really helpful service IMO.

Doesn't seem cool to make fun of someone for their bboskill score but I guess myrg brought it on himself. I prefer PKs way of just implying it

Yeah, I agree. I'm not proud, but it was too fun not to ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users