BBO Discussion Forums: What is 4NT? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is 4NT? Serious question

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2014-October-14, 08:18

Say it goes:

Is 4NT a quantitative raise or asking for aces?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-14, 08:21

Quantitative.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-14, 08:41

Yeh, quant. But Doubler must have a prime in the weak-two suit, because partner's 3NT doesn't show one.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-14, 09:29

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-14, 08:41, said:

Yeh, quant. But Doubler must have a prime in the weak-two suit, because partner's 3NT doesn't show one.

I don't agree. I think that is far too restrictive an interpretation. It merely asks partner to look at his hand. If doubler lacks a spade top, then he has those values elsewhere. The 3N bidder will need top of range to accept, and when doubler lacks a spade card then it is unlikely that advancer lacks both the A and the K and still likes his hand.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-14, 09:44

Doubler also has 4S in his bag, which could be quant without a Spade prime. As advancer, I would accept the 4N quant with JTXX QX KQJXXX AX. Guess it is a style thing. We can bail at 4NT/4S if I have that one opposite XX AKJX AXX KQJX.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-14, 10:06

Without any agreements, I would say it shows a balanced hand better than a direct 2NT (15-17). So it would be like 18-19, asking pard to press on to 6 with 14-15.

#7 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-14, 10:24

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-14, 09:44, said:

Doubler also has 4S in his bag, which could be quant without a Spade prime. As advancer, I would accept the 4N quant with JTXX QX KQJXXX AX. Guess it is a style thing. We can bail at 4NT/4S if I have that one opposite XX AKJX AXX KQJX.

Well, apart from the fact that you have a 4=2=6=2 hand, which is not allowed under most rules, the notion of hogging the hand in 3N with 13 hcp outside of spades, a partner likely to have a stiff spade, and holding KQJxxx in suit leaves me sick to my stomach. If I did perpetrate such a horrific bid, I think over 4N I would bid 6.

Then I'd wait for dummy to hit and if he does have xx in spades, I announce I have 14 cards.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-14, 10:36

View Postmikeh, on 2014-October-14, 10:24, said:

Well, apart from the fact that you have a 4=2=6=2 hand, which is not allowed under most rules, the notion of hogging the hand in 3N with 13 hcp outside of spades, a partner likely to have a stiff spade, and holding KQJxxx in suit leaves me sick to my stomach. If I did perpetrate such a horrific bid, I think over 4N I would bid 6.

Then I'd wait for dummy to hit and if he does have xx in spades, I announce I have 14 cards.

Typo -fixed to be 4-2-5-2. With JTXX QX KQJXX AX, I guess it depends on whether a non-leben 3D has an upper limit or is forcing. We now know that Doubler would have moved over 3D (because we have the thread UI about the 4NT bid over 3NT); but, I don't believe insisting on game without bypassing 3NT in this case is hand-hogging --- just practical.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-14, 10:55

Quantitative in my partnership since 4 of anything is either 100% forcing and slammish or at least slammish in the case of a 4 bid.

Over 4nt if accepting we can answer straight Aces and then bid 4-card suits up the line or blast into 6nt or 6 of a source of tricks as we choose.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users